FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ends of a Plug Follower

<<

crashplan

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Ends of a Plug Follower

These two tools came in a pin set I recently purchased online. However, I'm a bet confused about why the plug follower (at least that's what I think it's called) has the ends that it does. I have found that the side with the slit going through it is useful for pushing top pins into the core, but do either of these ends have a function more useful than this? Why does it have these ends instead of just a flat surface?

20140413_214926.jpg

20140413_214911.jpg

20140413_214856.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Ends of a Plug Follower

Yes, the slot is used for loading top pins. It also fits a few other plugs. The other end, at least from my experience, fits over the end of a few other plugs.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

crashplan

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:26 pm

But if the end with the hole in it fits over a plug, wouldn't it be too small to work with a core that the plug follower fits into? Does that make any sense? Also, why would you want it to fit over a plug? Don't you just use it so that your top pins don't get all screwed up when you take the plug out? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm just a little confused about this.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:35 pm

On some plugs, the tailpiece or end of the plug is of a smaller diameter than the main section of the plug. It is this smaller end that would be covered by the follower, not the entire plug.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:16 am

Like Gordon mentioned, some cores have differently shaped tail pieces.
A flat plug follower will not always work. Maybe a picture will help you...

ImageImage

Doweling I made to fit the end of this one. Just a thinner, deeper slot would've sufficed... but you get the idea.

....and welcome to the forum. Great place!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 am

I have followers in various sizes and end configurations, just depends on the lock I'm dealing with.
There is a locksmith about 45 minutes from here that has come up with a new follower design, I am going to buy one as soon as he lets me know there are more for sale.

http://magicfollower.com/home.html
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

bmc1284

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Please post when this follower is available Moss! I'll be buying 4!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Oldfast wrote:
Like Gordon mentioned, some cores have differently shaped tail pieces.
A flat plug follower will not always work. Maybe a picture will help you...

ImageImage

Doweling I made to fit the end of this one. Just a thinner, deeper slot would've sufficed... but you get the idea.

....and welcome to the forum. Great place!

Nice Medeco KIK cylinder, Oldfast. :)

Gordon
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:49 pm

The "slotted" end of the follower was originally for mortise cylinders, tho as you see, it is nice for other newer designs also. You will find them hollow with a slot cut lengthwise that is specifically for Sargent kik that have a roll pin in them. They come in many sizes, shapes and designed for many cylinders, some just for loading top pins. The gold tool in your picture is for removing retaining caps from the rear of cylinders. I recently came across ALOT of 1/2" aluminum thick wall tubing that may become followers before it's all over! Many feet of it.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Uber-Noob