FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Stripped screws

<<

flywheel

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Stripped screws

How would you, non-destructively, remove stripped retaining screws from the back of a cylinder?

Thanks
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: Stripped screws

Well, if the screws are against a tailpiece instead of the cylinder itself you could use a dremel to cut a new screw slot.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Walmart sells stripped screw removers. They drill a small indentation into the screw and then u put in a bit that bites into the screw to pull it out.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:38 pm

My fav method is using an automatic center punch. You could even use a centerpunch with a small hammer.
If this is a phillips head screw,#1) place the punch in one of the four high points, avoiding the X part of the screw and hit the punch into the screw head lightly, to make a dimple. Now place the punch in the dimple and hit in the direction needed to unscew. If the screw is machined a few taps may be needed. If stuck tight, refer back to #1) and make a new dimple across from the first one. I can usually re-use the screws after cleaning off the rust/dirt.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Jones has a good method that I'll try someday if I ever get a small enough center punch. But sometimes those screw heads can be miniscule, no? If I haven't stripped the head too badly, I usually have success putting the cylinder into a vise, tapping the appropriately sized screwdriver or bit into the screw so that it's got some purchase, and then pushing with all of my weight as I turn the screwdriver in a short sharp burst.
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:14 pm

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 pm

Never even heard of that trick, YLF. Will have to put that one away in the ol' memory banks for future reference. Thanks!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 am

You could also use an impact driver, last one I saw was at Harbor Freight. You can use a screwdriver bit, or pull the bit attachment off and use a 3/8" socket. You choose to tighten or reverse, place the driver you need on the tip and hit the end of the driver with a hammer & it will turn to the left or right, usually breaking loose whatever you are working on.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:35 am

One of these days I am going to get the tool that Keedex makes:

http://absupply.net/keedex-spin.aspx
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:18 am

I'm sure You could make your own for less that $150, I have used my auto- centerpunch trick to remove mortise cylinder screws, so size is not an inhibitor for tapping stuck fasteners loose.
You can find an automatic center punch in hardware stores

Return to Uber-Noob