FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Making Lockpick Handles

<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Making Lockpick Handles

Hey guys, I got into picking a week ago and have been loving it. I use a 15 pc. set of SouthOrd slimline picks, and they work well but the metal handles are kinda slippery...

I plan on polishing the blades, so that's first on the to-do list, but after that I want to make up some handles for them and was wondering what you guys recommend for doing that? I don't want to get too crazy with it, just something to give me a bit of grip. My two ideas are to either dip them in plastic or use heat shrink tubing.

Out of those two, which do you guys prefer? Or do you have a better idea?

Thanks.
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Making Lockpick Handles

Either of those options will work well enough for a quick job since you don't want to go crazy with G10 scales or bonding metal handles to the picks. Easy to remove too if you want to do something different down the road.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks, I'll probably go pick up the supplies for the handles and polishing stuff tomorrow.

Between heat shrink tubing and plastic dip, does one or the other give better feel or are they close enough it doesn't matter? Cuz if it doesn't matter I'll probably go with the heat shrink, seems like it'd be easier to apply.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Welcome frostypicker!! Read you're other couple posts and
it seems you're cookin' along at a very nice pace already :)

I agree with Chris. Both options aren't a ton of work and both can be removed easily enough.
I can't comment on the heat shrink tubing as I've never tried it. But others have & it looks nice.

On the Plasti-Dip: I wouldn't use the spray. It won't give you the thickness and it will come off easily.
When using the dip it is possible to do with little to no air bubbles. Work your way into the dip VERY
slowly. Same on the way out. Incorporate a side-to-side movement (like a paddle). Not much, just a
1/4 inch or less in either direction. Each time you reach the 'outside' of the paddle movement you'll
back the handle out of the dip. It's hard to explain... you work your way down into the dip kinda like
the phrase "two steps forward, one step back". Work your way down & back out of the dip in the
same manner. Again, very difficult to put into words, lol, but hopefully it makes some sense.

p.s. Already said it... but it's DAMN nice to see ya Chris!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Oldfast wrote:Welcome frostypicker!! Read you're other couple posts and
it seems you're cookin' along at a very nice pace already :)

I agree with Chris. Both options aren't a ton of work and both can be removed easily enough.
I can't comment on the heat shrink tubing as I've never tried it. But others have & it looks nice.

On the Plasti-Dip: I wouldn't use the spray. It won't give you the thickness and it will come off easily.
When using the dip it is possible to do with little to no air bubbles. Work your way into the dip VERY
slowly. Same on the way out. Incorporate a side-to-side movement (like a paddle). Not much, just a
1/4 inch or less in either direction. Each time you reach the 'outside' of the paddle movement you'll
back the handle out of the dip. It's hard to explain... you work your way down into the dip kinda like
the phrase "two steps forward, one step back". Work your way down & back out of the dip in the
same manner. Again, very difficult to put into words, lol, but hopefully it makes some sense.

p.s. Already said it... but it's DAMN nice to see ya Chris!

Not really lol, but my dad plastic dipped all the handles on these custom locking pins he made for our landscaping trailer, so I could just ask him for the details if I decided to go that route. Although, all things being equal it seems heat shrink would be easier.

Thanks guys, I'll go and try to find some heat shrink tomorrow, I'm assuming Lowe's/Home Depot would have it? If I can't find it then I'll get some plastic dip.
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 pm

HD or Lowes should have heat shrink. Like what Oldfast said, don't get the spray shit (plastic dip), it's a waste of time. As far as feel goes, with the plastic, you can let it set a little bit, then before it's solid add a stippling pattern with something. Rough it up with sandpaper or stab it lightly with something sharp to add texture to the handle. If you are going with heat shrink then you can rough that up a little bit with sandpaper, just add a few layers of tubing so you have contrast between the rough and smooth layers.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:50 pm

If you go with heat shrink, instead of using several heat shrink tubes, wrap a couple of turns of tape (cloth type) around the handle then the heat shrink.

You can even tear the tape into narrow strips and leave a small gap between each wrap. Then put on the heat shrink. This will give you a ripple (?) effect.

By using the tape first you can build up the handle to the thickness that feels the most comfortable for you.

I have posted several examples of this type of handle in the "Home Brew" section.

Making picks can become addictive - you have been warned!! :D :D

PS. If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, the Chinese "emporium" type sites (ie. Banggood etc.) have bags of various sizes and colours (American spell check be dammed :hammering: ) of heat shrink tubes at very reasonable prices.

Good luck.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:08 am

frostypicker wrote:
Oldfast wrote:Again, very difficult to put into words, lol, but hopefully it makes some sense.

Not really lol, but....

rolmao! Yeah, as I read it over, it seemed to be a pile of gibberish. Ha!
Ah well, was worth a try anyway. They can't all be winners can they.

You'll probably be happy with the tubing and it'll be less time consuming & finicky anyhow.
At this stage of the game I'm sure you'd rather be picking than working on your picks :)

But for future experiments - a couple other thoughts on the Plasti-Dip:
As Chris said, you can put any number of patterns, cuts, or materials into it for texture.
HERE I used a screen mesh to press in. Press too early and it won't hold the pattern.
You can see the back 2 picks are an example of too early. And obviously if you press
too late it won't accept the pattern. I finally zeroed in on the perfect dry/press time
with the pick in the foreground.

Personally, I like the metal handles. But I agree with you - they can get slippery at times.
Probably the absolute quickest fix would be to rough it up with some heavy grit paper.
Top and bottom edges and diagonally on the sides. And it actually looks kinda neat too.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

frostypicker

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:35 am

Those are some nice looking picks Oldfast, you make a convincing argument for plastic dip haha.

Well, I'm heading out to the hardware store now, so I'll see what I can find.

Return to Uber-Noob