FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Peterson Pick Thicknesses?

<<

lithedreamer

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Peterson Pick Thicknesses?

Hi all,

I have a few SouthOrd picks and tension wrenches, but I'm hoping to save up for better picks and the SouthOrd Euro Slenders (0.018) caught my eye. I haven't had any issues bending my SouthOrd picks despite heavy use but I'm not sure if the Euro ones will be too thin. Honestly, they appeal to me because they are all picks that I want (Three Bogotas, City and S rakes, diamond and some good hooks) and I kind of like the handle colour, however unimportant. Are thicker picks worth it if I have to buy them separately for an extra $10? I've looked around this forum, YouTube and the lock picking subreddit and haven't found anyone who actually uses them despite being advertised for locksport.
<<

Lauren

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Re: Peterson Pick Thicknesses?

I just picked up the first two Peterson Bogotas. They are no magic pill. People like them. You can't fault word of mouth advertising. I know you will buy them anyway. I like the feel of the Peterson picks in general. The plastic handles give good feed back.
<<

Josephus

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:44 pm

It is a skill insofar as what works or doesn't work for some will work for others. The best advice to be had is to expose yourself to differing functional tools and see what actually does do the job for you. Don't be afraid to go against the grain, modify tools regardless of price, or make your own.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:41 pm

personally i only buy peterson spp'ing tools: hooks,diamonds,offsets, prybars ect..

i can't comment on peterson rakes as i dont own any, but i dont doubt their quality. if youre lookin to save a few bucks buy the rakes from another manufacturer, they'll likely serve you just the same as the petersons and you can really rake hard with em without worrying about breaking a $10 pick. just my $0.02.

if you do end up buying any of those new 0.18" rakes id love to read a review on them :)
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 pm

If you're new to the sport and haven't really got the feel you could buy a set of Kloms from aliexpress to round out your collection. Here's the 32 piece set I bought. But search the site as I got mine for just over $20 from a different seller. Shipping is slow! Prob a month if you are not in the lower 48.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 25114.html

These are excellent for the price but you'll need some decent tensioners and prybars. I use mine all the time on small padlocks and tighter keyways and they seem to hold up well. It might be the way to go if you're not sure how much time, effort or money you are willing to invest in locksport. Worth signing up to AliExpress anyway as there are incredible deals to be had if you're willing to hunt around.

Of course you can't go wrong with quality if that's what you are looking for and Peterson seem to be the go to picks of the pros. I don't own any myself but I do have Sparrows and Southords as well as the Kloms. I might go for the Peterson Slims if my picking goes towards the euro/asian cylinders. Actually i'll probably start concentrating on homebrews from now on when I find a specific need, something you may be interested in, if so check out the "homebrew" section here for some pointers.

Happy Holidays
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:10 pm

What what is worth, Ill add some feedback and experience:
SPARROWS: Have their beginner set with no handles. Good start picks which needed sanding to round the edges as their picks are stamped out and sold. That was before they started selling individual picks so that may have changed because the individual boga and worm rake compared to the ones that came with the kit were different. They didnt need any sanding at all so like I said they may have added something to their production to smooth out the edges. They also started selling in 0.015. As for the handles, they are plastic thermo dipped which is nice on your hand but adds no strength to the pick thin metal handle so they will bend, not a big deal but doesnt feel as comfortable as a hard handle would.

HPC: Had a chance to get these picks for less $2 each so decided to give them a world. I got their cheapest picks not the stainless steel picks and I was just horrified. Aside from the nice handle, the picks came looking like they just had a horrible date with a grinder. The edges were all squire sharp but that wasn't even the worst, the shaft which is usually straight from handle to pick looked like this: O-M---M--------(HANDLE) that being a round snowman like pick. Looks like they were double stamped or something I dont know. I will give them another chance, sand them down and see how things work. Worst Ill trash them and re-use the handles which are much better than the picks. The metal felt weak and too flexible, not in a good way flexible.

PETERSON: Pure pleasure. I dont own or even played with every pick out there but Peterson picks are amazing. The plastic handle isn't super smooth plastic so it gives great grip and feel. The metal is just amazing strong and flexible. I have a hook that I used and abused but it has not snapped just bent a bit which can be easily bent back. I dont know what government steel is but its great. They do have some sort of way to round the edges however some sanding is still needed. Out of all of the ordered picks, just a few came with tiny indents which needed to be sanded. Not sure what that is or from. Their Bogota needed heavy sanding but compared to sparrows are pretty identical except with the hard handle I find it easier to work with. Their City Rake came smooth and ready to use no sanding needed. I have their .025 and .018 which are all great and strong. The 18 obviously wont take abuse as well as the 25 but surprisingly for such a tiny thin piece of metal, it takes abuse very well. Over all these a truly great picks well worth the money in my opinion and I wont be switching anytime soon. Matter of fact, they having a 20% discount until the 20th of December and I already took advantage of that.

SOUTHORD: Was placing an order for something and decided to add a few of these picks just to see how they are. I believe the ones I ordered are their expensive ones but the handles look exactly like the HPC handles which are pretty good. Much better than the sparrows pick handles.

Return to Uber-Noob