FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Vise advise

<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Vise advise

Been watching lots of picking videos on youtube. It looks like it's time for me to get a recommendation for a good vise.

Opinions please.

Thanks in advance.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Josephus

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: Vise advise

Some really enjoy nicotine or alcohol, but I am a firm believer in an excessive amount of the gender of your choice, preferably followed by too much leftover pizza.

But seriously I have two panavises right now. A Bessey suction base that cost about 20 bucks and the Stanley maxsteel multiangle which cost about 35. Suction vise not so great, but portable and nobody complains if I pop it on their table. The Stanley is much more sturdy. Much more pleasant to use. It seems to be popular for a good reason. Wide base hobby vises, the sort with a round tray as the base might be worth trying, but I have learned that it is not fun nor good for practical skill building to be putting your weight or concentration on the vise. The clamping sort like the Stanley allows you to not worry about tipping or sliding.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Depends on how you've configured your workstation of course, but if I had to choose one and only one I would go with this gal: http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-350-Mult ... words=vise

If you're just looking for something to get the job done you can find a decently made suction vise online or at most hardware store for around $20 or less.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

norwoodgolf

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:13 pm

I am planning to get a new vise and I plan on getting the one mentioned in the rerun12 post above. bosnianbill is using that vise in his recent YouTube videos. One of his fans sent him one and it looks to be the real deal.
<<

HT4

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:47 pm

This is what I use... It's not very nice fit and finish wise, but it works and is very portable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VSLFT ... ref=plSrch

As noted by rerun12, there are much nicer ones available if you want to spend the money.
Last edited by HT4 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:18 am

I bought a cheap suction base vice from Harbor F*****. It was ok but the suction would not hold long on my scratched up work bench top.
I bought a floor tile that was about 8x10 and I cut it down to fit on top of a scrap board I had. I think it was about 1/2" x 14 x abt 6 1/2 ". I used a strong caulk to attach the tile and left about 1 1/2 " of the board exposed on each side of the tile. I would have cut the board but I saw I could make a tray on each side and save me the work to cut it.
I found that two old yard sticks would serve as the boarder around and protect the tile from getting chipped or broken and it would enclose my two side trays so they would hold things. I attached the sides and caulked the inside of the trays so I would not loose any small parts.
The vise now holds to the tile for weeks at a time.( I have not had it come loose yet) The board and tile are heavy enough to make a steady base for the vice and I can use it most anywhere. If I want to protect the surface that I will set it on, I use an old towel under the board.
Steve
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am

I also had this decision to make and I went with a basic panavise with a round tray attachment for a few reason. If you have watched lots of Bills videos you notice that he tried, tested and used at least 3 difference vises and at the end he uses the Panavise. Recently he started to use top vise attachment which was mentioned above but its still all Panavise. The vise alone can be purchased from Amazon as around $25-30 plus any attachments you want. Technically you can make whatever attachment you want from a piece of wood and creativity. I still plan to make a weighted attachment by taking a work out weight plate(10-20 lb) and encasing it in some wood. If I need the extra weight I can screw my vise with round attachment right on it. You can also purchase a weighted mount but its pretty pricey for nothing really. But until I have time to make this idea into reality I use a simple 3" clamp. Clamp the round attachment with vise to a table and Im set.

Escapenrv and everyone else with idea or home made attachments etc, please post pics!
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:14 am

Here are some photos of my vice mount.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hhbaz5q6osfz ... LAhha?dl=0

Enjoy......
Steve
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:33 pm

HT4 wrote:This is what I use... It's not very nice fit and finish wise, but it works and is very portable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VSLFT ... ref=plSrch

same one i use. doesn't take up much space, very portable as you said and does exactly what i need it to do. there are certainly better vises out there but if you're looking for something small i'd advise you pick up the one linked by HT4 or something similar.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 pm

http://www.amazon.com/SE-8436MVC-Univer ... 0013E2AQY/

this is the one I use :) they are cheap and I find I always have the edge of a desk to clamp on to.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Lots of great advise. Thanks for the help
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Mitchell s

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:47 am

rerun12 wrote:Depends on how you've configured your workstation of course, but if I had to choose one and only one I would go with this gal: http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-350-Mult ... words=vise

If you're just looking for something to get the job done you can find a decently made suction vise online or at most hardware store for around $20 or less.

I've got the Panavise. I can highly recommend it. I sort of feel that if you buy cheap you buy twice..
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:00 am

Sorry gents I forgot to mention what may be a deal making. The pana vise has changeable jaws. They have nylon plastic, nylon plastic with a groove cut in for tubes and pipes, steels jaws, brass jaws and a white plastic that I believe if for electric work. I have 2 styles of the nylon and 1 steel and I have used all 3 for various projects. I would also like to get brass but waiting for amazon to come out with a great deal. I got my grooved nylon for $2-3 and the steel was on sale too for around $5. Reg price is near double.

Return to Random Banter