FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My ISP is a dick

<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 am

My ISP is a dick

My connection went up the left last night so I called my ISP today to rectify the problem. I knew what the problem was. "DNS cannot resolve IP address". Easy fix, just find the DNS settings and change the IP to the right one. However, for some reason I couldn't find the right settings so I called up to find out why I wasn't able to change it like I did the last time my connection crapped out.

The girl took all my details, didn't listen to what I wanted and told me to restart my PC. Then she told me to restart my modem. I did this stuff already, but I figured they needed to check a few things at their end so I went along with it.

I was put on hold for a few minutes while she checked some things, came back and told me everything was working fine. I said I know, the problem is with my DNS, I need to find out how to reset these particular IP settings but I can't find the bloody thing in my network settings anywhere.

So she told me to type an IP into my address bar to check some things. I did it, and my browser wouldn't connect. Probably because the problem I was calling about was along the lines of my browser not connecting to anything.

Then she talked me through the control panel to get to network settings, which I had already had a good look at myself before calling up, and told me to read out the IPv4 address to make sure it was the same one she just read out to me. Of course it is, jesus christ. That's not the setting I'm looking for. Then she put me on hold for another few minutes and the line went dead.

Son of a bitch.

I kept my cool and called back, the new girl took my details again but couldn't differentiate between what a 2 and a 3 sounds like and even after finally getting my phone number correct she had trouble accessing my details - and gave me another number to call. "These are the people you need to talk to", she assures me. My ass they are, I know this trick... but as long as the person on this line understands numbers I guess we'll be ok. I dial the number. It takes me through some menus. All is right with the world until I hear the flood warning message which I got at the start of the original number I dialled... uh oh.

You got it. She gave me a number to take me through the menus I needed to get to the number I called in the first place.

At this point I was fucking pissed so I asked for a supervisor. I've worked in these places before so I know that giving them attitude gets you nowhere... I was very polite and calm, but I tell ya it wasn't easy. She took my details, then told me the people I was talking to weren't skilled to deal with my probem (as if she needed to tell me that) and that she would put me through to a bonafide technician. Now we're getting somewhere.

Except that, well, we're not. The new guy didn't listen to my problem either. My DNS can't resolve IP addresses. How do I fix. He ignores this issue and asks if I had restarted my PC and modem. Yes, I have. I also went to the toilet this morning and I peed for a really long time, is there anything else you need to know before we can get to the real problem? Actually yes, there is, because he asked if I had any expired anti-virus software on my PC.

Now that you mention it, yes I do, but it only just ran out and I'll be renewing it ASAP so this isn't the issue here... but he is insistent that he can't help me until I have anti-virus software. What does this have to do with anything? Obviously since I can't connect to the internet this isn't within my grasp just at the moment, so if you can just tell me where to find the DNS settings I will leave you in peace. He says he genuinely can't help, but he will write down a note of my problem so that if I call back after updating my anti-virus with my non-existent connection he will be able to help me.

That was definately an hour well spent. I decided to reinstall my router to see if that reset the DNS settings, which thankfully it did. My ISP is a dick. They should really make it a part of their training that if someone phones up and says anything to do with their DNS, tell them to reinstall their router instead of going through your stupid screens and putting them through the crap they already did. I did all that stuff prior to calling to save them the time of going through all the stupid stuff with me. I knew the exact problem, I wanted an answer, and this is what I got instead.

I can see why their call centre is based in india now... if their office was anywhere in the UK it's very likely that I'd have been down there breaking things.

Rant over. (woohoo)
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:42 am

Re: My ISP is a dick

Don't feel bad, call centers for the states are the same way, you think they are in the states but they are in India as well, sometimes they call the house trying to sell shit, I tell them sorry, you took somebodys job here, don't call me again. And understanding them, impossible, and they don't understand you either. It's complete bullshit costomer service when a company you deal with does this.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:56 pm

I feel your pain.

I recently had a problem with my phone line after a lightning storm and called my friendly ATT service to come ck out the problem.

The guy shows up and says he needs to ck to see if the problem is inside the house - or on their side of the demarc. Any way a couple of minutes pass by and I see him load up his truck and drive off. Ok, no problem. It's probably one of those 1 hr. mandatory "union" coffee breaks.

Well after 4 hrs the guy still isn't back yet. It's now 5 PM - past the authorized work hours as specified in the union contract. So I'm sc rewed for the day.

Call ATT the next day and ask WTF, over? Oh the problem was inside your house and the technician knocked on your door and left you a note. BS, says I.

Anyway, they schedule another tech to come out the next day. The guy shows up and looks and prods, scratches his head and says, well the problem is in your modem. Ok, fix it says I again.

Ooops sorry. I'm just the twisted pair guy - you need to call the DSL guys to check it out for sure that the problem is in your modem. At this point blood was oozing out of every orifice in my corpulent little body.

The guy looks at me and very conspiratorially says " Look, I'm mot supposed to tell you this - because the policy requires that I inform you the DSL guy has to be called - but your problem is your modem is fried. Just call ATT and order a new modem and they can overnight it to you."

Shoving tampons in my bleeding orifices, I thank the guy - let him peel out and get around the corner - and then call ATT DSL services.

Fucking automated call - punch pound, say name, stand on your head and spin, english or spanish, etc.

Finally Bombay (I guess its Mumbai) Bob get's on the phone. Ok, I need a new modem, sell me one, gimme gimme. Oh tenk you veddy mooch, but vee must test jour systeem.

After going through the whole litany of monkey tricks that I had to perform to his sadistic satisfaction he proudly says: "Veddy vell, sir, Vee haf deter-r-r-rmined de prohblem is in jour modem and jou vill neet to ordair a new vun."

:shock: then :x

Well, WTF can you do? Get out the Stihl chainsaw and cut down all the goddamn telephone poles? No. STFU and just give them your credit card number, order the damn modem, and wipe the spooge off your face.

Bastards.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:24 pm

That sucks. At least if I needed a new modem they'd send me a free one... maybe it's not so bad after all. :mrgreen:

I was seriously pissed earlier though. I put GTA on and went on a rampage... if I said I wasn't targeting certain minorities, I'd be lying. It helped.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Similar thing happened to me. Dude I got a Dell! about 4 years ago and after about 9 months I got the blue screen of death. Naturally I called dell for them to send a technician to my place to fix it because it was under warranty.

The person on the line was obviously Indian and I honestly could not understand her. I told her some BS about being busy and that I would call back.

I call back and get a reasonably understandable guy who "verry much will assist me in my problem to fix". He has me start in bios and all that junk I already did and then he tells me that the problem must be my memory cards. He agreed to set up an appointment but not now he will have service call me. Fine

The freaking service department forgot that the time in India and the time here in Canada is not the same and they called me at 2:30 in the morning! (Homo)

In the end a service guy showed up with 2 new memory cards, a new v-card and motherboard (I guess the guy felt bad)
Not bad
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:29 pm

One other time I had a woman call looking trying to sell me something I just had to have, she wouldn't take no for an answer, I finally told her to eat shit and hung up. Few minutes later she called right back. I told her I wanted her cell phone number so that I could call her at all hours and run up her minutes like she was doing to me. She said ok, and gave me some number. I hung up again and after a few minutes I decided to give the number a call just to see if it really was hers. I called the number and it was her!! She said to call her anytime I wanted to talk!!! Crazy ass shit I had ever seen in my life.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:02 pm

she wanted ur sexy body bro

AHHH the [H] button just broke... wtf now its all lopsided :(
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Kid, she musta liked your attitude. I'm gonna take an educated guess and say this woman likes it rough and proper. Get some! :mrgreen:
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Solomon wrote:Kid, she musta liked your attitude. I'm gonna take an educated guess and say this woman likes it rough and proper. Get some! :mrgreen:

Without sounding like a dinosaur - it reminds me of the old 70's movie called "Play Misty For Me" with Clint Eastwood. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067588/
:shock:
<<

barbarian

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Pictures of India.

This might explain the crappy phone service..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:44 pm

wow, I have never seen such a rat's nest! How in the hell do they sort all of that out!
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:17 am

Solomon, I'm not trying to be a PITA, and I hate to tell you, but from what you said the problem was more likely just the router being a shit, and well the ISP call center monkeys being morons as well. What leads me to this conclusion is you said "So she told me to type an IP into my address bar to check some things. I did it, and my browser wouldn't connect. Probably because the problem I was calling about was along the lines of my browser not connecting to anything." If you put in an IP and the browser couldn't connect it wasn't a DNS problem, it was a connectivity issue. And if you ever need to deal with the ISP monkeys, always tell them you've already done everything they ask you to do, it will help you get escalated to someone who isn't just reading through a script and has no technical ability whatsoever (first tier support is just a piece of meat to fill a chair and answer a phone) And remember asking for a supervisor usualy jsut gets you put on hold while they ask the person in the next cube to "play manager"

Also, always reboot your router before even your cable modem, and don't just reboot from the web interface, unplug it for 30 sec min and replug it being especially careful not to be accidentally pushing the reset button while replugging (I did that a few months back and had a very very bad night when I couldn't find the backup file of my router settings)
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:24 pm

elbowmacaroni wrote:Also, always reboot your router before even your cable modem, and don't just reboot from the web interface, unplug it for 30 sec min and replug it being especially careful not to be accidentally pushing the reset button while replugging (I did that a few months back and had a very very bad night when I couldn't find the backup file of my router settings)

I did tell them I did all that stuff already, they insisted on going through it anyway. ;)

The problem started the night before calling them, my pc and router were both off all night before restarting it again and I had the same problems when I booted up that morning. I tried everything again, and since I wasn't having any luck I checked my network settings and according to my handy-dandy troubleshooting guide it was a DNS problem.

I wouldn't have gone near the network settings if simply restarting the router/pc fixed it. :lol: It had done that a few times before and simply restarting everything worked, but this time it wasn't having any of it. Reinstalling the drivers worked a treat so it's all good... if I have this problem again I won't have to deal with them.

(woohoo)
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:46 pm

I'll give you a little advice.....like I had a problem with my credit card a while back...I kept getting someone in India who i couldnt understand what the hell they were saying. I searched google for a domestic number.....and found one....I guess that would be a UK number for you....OR when you have those dicks on the phone tell them you want to speak to, or the number to such and such DOMESTIC.....or UK in your situation....Many places will transfer you........It's always nice to speak to someone who speaks english... :mrgreen:
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 am

Riff, that's a really good point! I forgot to mention that since my ISP actually has a local call center. Many companies that outsource their help desk often have a domestic help center too that you can get if you insist on speaking to someone there.

Solomon, just keep in mind in the future, that if you can't even reach anything by actual IP address, it's not a DNS problem, because all DNS does is translate a human readable textual address to an IP address. But, I'm glad to hear you got it worked out. Surprising you had to reinstall drivers, but with computers, things can get buggered like that.

Also, if your ISP is a dick, does that mean you have a fucking network? Sorry, can't help myself, terminal smart ass you know...
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian

Return to Random Banter