FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What type of lock lubricant do you recommend?

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 12, 2010 4:48 pm

What type of lock lubricant do you recommend?

Some of my older locks seem stiff and I've been looking around for a lubricant for them. I hear you're supposed to use a dry type like graphite powder. Does this hold true for every type of lock?

What do you recommend as a lubricant?
Howdy!
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Wed May 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: What type of lock lubricant do you recommend?

If they are clean an dry, I've been trying out some LAB powdered teflon lube. Not supposed to gob up like graphite. Lock-ease is a sprayable delivery system for some kind of graphite suspended in a "secret formula" oil. Seems to work fairly well too, on the clean ones. But on dirty ol' users Tri-flo is my favorite. Smells alot better than the harsher stuff, sticks around for while, doesn't freeze. That's the main thing. You don't want some type of grease that will freeze or frequent temperature changes will petrify.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Wed May 12, 2010 5:34 pm

ChemicalRobot wrote:I hear you're supposed to use a dry type like graphite powder. Does this hold true for every type of lock?
Does it hold true for all locks? no. Automotive locks for example typically come from the factory with grease in them. Graphite won't do anything for the lock if it has gotten old and the grease is dry and sticky. However for most pin tumbler locks graphite is perfect. With some exceptions, I've seen Assa locks get jammed because people have used graphite in them. I've also fixed a graphite jammed Assa lock with a can of WD-40 (it makes a mess).

Graphite works best when you can take the lock apart, make sure it's dry and are able to put the graphite directly on top of the pins. But be careful to not use too much, that's when using graphite becomes a lousy lubricant.

WD-40 is great for cleaning locks or simply getting them to work again. But doesn't make a good lubricant.

One of my preferred lubes is Lock Saver. Works great for automotive locks, and pretty good for pin tumbler locks. Though I typically use graphite on pin tumbler locks.

Assa has their own special lubricant too. But I will usually use Lock Saver for Assa locks.

I wrote all that before Tooly posted about Tri-flo. Which is also a good lubricant that I forgot about (I have a can on my truck too). The only drawback to Tri-flo is if the lock is in a really dusty environment (outside door next to a pile of sand, ...when it's windy), Tri-flo usually stays moist and can collect dust. That's rarely ever a problem I see though.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed May 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:I wrote all that before Tooly posted about Tri-flo. Which is also a good lubricant that I forgot about (I have a can on my truck too). The only drawback to Tri-flo is if the lock is in a really dusty environment (outside door next to a pile of sand, ...when it's windy), Tri-flo usually stays moist and can collect dust. That's rarely ever a problem I see though.

Sounds like tri-flo would be a HUGE mistake in FL! Our "Soil" is all sand here.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

geardog32

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 12, 2010 7:35 pm

well I usually use K.Y. and i just .... oh wait a minute you mean for locks. uh for my locks that i pick for hobby i just use silicon spray. I'm sure someone will disagree but i haven't had any problems yet.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed May 12, 2010 8:15 pm

I clean em with brake cleaner, and then hit them with teflon spray.... but I only do that if they're really gunked up... otherwise, I tend to leave them be... or tiny bit o' graphite dust if they seem sticky from friction.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian

Return to Random Banter