FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

I got free locks.

<<

barbarian

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm

I got free locks.

Got 2 of these at work the other day. :D

http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/PL-ENVIRO.php

They were sitting outdoors and had not been opened for many years. I asked the maintenance supervisor what he knew about them and he said "take them if you want, but theres no key".
So I grabbed them. They were locked on a stiff wire loop that I could undo. 10 minutes later he hands me a key and says that it might fit and if not to keep it anyway..

The locks opened easily despite being covered in crud and not used for at least 10 years.
If anyone needs an outdoor lock for severe environments that will open when you need it, then these guys fit the bill..

Got them apart and starting to clean them up now.. Then gotta try picking them...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: I got free locks.

wow...that looks like some heavy duty sh##t..
<<

usmcboltaction

Funny Guy/Bouncer

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Nice! Those look like fun.
<<

bouncer965

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 pm

They look hardcore :o :o Nice little find.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Nice I think those are Sargent and greenleaf enviromental locks they are meant to work even when full of mud and dirt ect. I have never opened one but the cylinder is supposed to have a hole along one side and when you turn the key all the debris in the keyway is supposed to get pushed out. Congrats and good luck opening them.

http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/PL-ENVIRO.php
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Nice score. Better get your disc detainer pick warmed up. Solomon's post on them is worth a read even without the pictures which photobucket so nicely saw fit to disapear. Might be helpful.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Not surprised they still work, being S&G made and disc locks too.

Hopefully you own a disk detainer tool. They are still probably not going to pick easy though.

Have a good time picking these. PM me if you like though. I am not an expert in these, but I have had the fortune to play with other disc locks. Simple yet elegant
mechanism. As you may have guessed, I like and collect Tibbes too. Own six, one gutted for display.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 pm

I remember playing with a lock that looked just like that a couple of years ago. It was left at our shop without any keys. I don't remember what happened to it....oh well. But I remember that it only had three disks in it, spaced quite a ways away from each other too. Based on the size of the lock I thought that that was odd. Does yours have more than three disks, or do we possibly think that three is the norm for these?
<<

barbarian

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Just looking now.

This one seems to have five disks inside separated by thick plastic spacers.
I will get it cleaned up a bit and post some pictures.

The disks have numbers stamped on the rear surface.
They are covered in some thick goo..
Probably toxic..
<<

barbarian

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:53 pm

I finally cleaned up my pair of S&G Environmental locks and here are some pictures of the insides.

The locks are very simple and stand up to the elements well. When I took these apart they had some type of goo in them that might have been grease 20 years ago. I’m pretty sure there was a dead spider in the bottom of one of them. To my knowledge the locks were left outside and never operated for at least 10 to 15 years. Except for a few rough spots on the shackles, the locks are in great shape.

guts2.jpg

There are only three different discs for these locks. You just flip the disk over depending on what angle of cut you want for the lock. So if you flip over a number 1 disc, it is now a number 4 disc. A number 2 disc flips to be a number 3 disc and the B disc flips to be a D disc. This lock used discs 2-D-3-1-4-3 from bow to tip. The discs are held apart by little plastic spacers.

discs.jpg

Here is a close up of the key. There are 6 cuts on it. The second one in is a “D” cut (really no cut) as near as I can measure each difference of cut is about 17 degrees. There is about (.060) one sixteenth of an inch in and out movement of the key when the lock is opened.

key2.jpg

To build up the lock, put the rubber O-ring into the groove inside the body of the lock. Drop the discs and spacers into the plug. Hold the sidebars in place and lower the lock down over the plug. There is a groove inside the plug hole that allows for the sidebar to slip in place.

plugredy.jpg

Now drop the shackle in place and the locking balls, then the little locking cam. It’s not cut the same on each side and if you get it backwards, the lock won’t open. You can put the key in and try it to be sure it’s right. There is a little spring that goes in the hole in the center and then the cap screws on just with your fingers. The cap has two spots cut in it and one of them will line up with the small hole for the grub screw. Snug up the grub screw and spray a shot of LPS 1 in the keyhole and that’s it.

setscrew.jpg

I have 15 meg or so of higher quality pictures if anyone wants them..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm

lucky... here is mine..fabbed key from a mock-up..
great score..BTW some DO only have 3 discs...
these can be picked quite easily using nothing but a turning tool...
once picked impression with a bic pen cut in 1/2, & filled with puttty.
that is how my key was made...
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:02 pm

So, due to the markings on the discs, I suppose the decoding method of putting clay on a tool and pulling back to make an imprint of the character stamped into the disc would work too.

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

barbarian

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Not sure..

I think the little plastic spacers would get in the way..
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Hmmn... maybe so... would be an interesting experiment though!

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:04 pm

I got free locks and I cannot lie... another brother would just buy... an old lock just sitin' 'round on an intty bitty estate, ya get sprung! gotta get some!

Ok, I'll stop...

Next

Return to Random Banter