FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Company complaint?

<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:50 am

Re: Company complaint?

Thedonofdeath wrote:Sopa/Pipa has been shelved for now so we are ok. But it is not over. No government should be able to control something like the internet.

While that is very much a good thing, that isn't what this one was about. Trademark infringement is basically saying he's using their brand name in an illegal way. This is a branding/logo complaint, not a copyright/piracy claim.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:59 am

put me on the list to pick it aswell my friend. id love to own that shit :')
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

LoL. Well, there's certainly enough people who'd like a money bag tour. So, if some time elapses, without MMF Industries and/or youtube contacting me...
I'll throw a lock or two in the bag and send it out into the world. In the meantime... if it just seems to fun to wait for :D ... you can always pick one up at Staples.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:16 pm

So, after some debate, I've decided to post this vid. In it I say nothing... I simply rape two of their locks. My reasoning and views on the matter are all in the description.
And, unlike the original video, I've purposely included the companies' name in the title of the video so that it can be readily found in a search. (grins slightly & shrugs).
I welcome and respect your thoughts on my actions. Whatta ya think guys? RIGHT?... WRONG?

MMF INDUSTRIES Deposit Bag. . . (2:38)

Several weeks ago, I was contacted by MMF Industries in regards to a previous video I had posted on these locks. They filed a complaint, claiming trademark infringement. Now, since the law VERY CLEARLY states that I am well within my rights, this situation became more of a moral dilemma for me than anything. My intentions have NEVER been to maliciously tarnish or hurt someones brand, reputation, or business. This is purely a hobby for me that I throroughly enjoy from my own home, and shooting videos is just another fun aspect of it. All locks seen in my vids have been legally obtained/purchased by me. So I did not take this situation lightly. After much debate, I've decieded to post this vid. However, I'd like to clarify several points...

1. My videos are NOT reviews and are not intended to place a product in a good OR bad light.

2. Just because a lock CAN be picked, does not necessarily have a bearing on the overall quality of that lock
or the product it's placed on. In fact, there are very few (if any) locks in the world today that CANNOT be picked.

3. The lockpicking community is probably larger than most people realize. Collectively, we've picked (on camera) a vast array of locks.
Ranging from silly toy locks... to locks that are used on banks... to government issued US military locks used to secure weapons and
missiles and shit lol. All the while, never getting a single complaint.

If a product is placed on the market and is made available to the public... that product is then open to scrutiny, testing, reviews, etc. And these opinions can be shared publicly. WE, AS CONSUMERS, HAVE THAT RIGHT. There are a number of "fair use" exemptions within Trademark law, and they were established precisely to allow for this.

quote... "Trademark law recognizes a defense where the mark is used only "to describe the goods or services of [a] party, or their geographic origin." 15 U.S.C. Section 1115(b)(4). The fair use defense is available to one who, in good faith, fairly uses another's trademark in a descriptive sense rather than its trademark sense."...end quote

I hope I have not come across in an arrogant or cocky manner. I'm not trying to instigate.
I'm simply passionate about my hobby, and want to enjoy it legally within my rights. I will not be bullied.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Oldfast wrote:3. The lockpicking community is probably larger than most people realize. Collectively, we've picked (on camera) a vast array of locks.
Ranging from silly toy locks... to locks that are used on banks... to government issued US military locks used to secure weapons and
missiles and shit lol. All the while, never getting a single complaint.
The only reason you don't see complaints is because most lock companies are a little smarter, or more experienced and have already learned this lesson. It's not that they don't want to complain or even succeed in taking all the videos down. But trying to do so has very much the same effect as taking a baseball bat and hitting a bee's nest with it.
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Hahahaa i love the video dude haha picked out of the package, awesome... i believe you have proven yourpoint to them :')
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:15 am

Good job man! You did the right thing here. If they had asked you to take the video down and then help them make the lock better I would understand but all they wanted to do was make sure no one knew how secure their locks really are. One question about the lock though, how the hell are you supposed to get the keys for the lock to open the bag if they are locked inside the bag?
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 am

People, the real bill we should be worried about is ACTA. It makes SOPA look like its little brother. It's been developed IN SECRET over the last 4 years or so, been signed by the USA, Europe, Japan, Australasia and others. If the EU votes for it soon then it'll come into power. The powers it has DWARVES SOPA, believe me. Look it up, we've gotta stop it or the internet will cease to exist as we know it. This is just the type of website I reckon would disappear because of it. It claims to be against counterfeiting but really it's just like what SOPA would've done. Bad, bad news and I don't think the powers that be will ever stop until the internet is controlled and censored. As it is it's far to divisive due to how easy and quickly people can spread 'subvertive' ideas and information.
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:44 am

huxleypig wrote:People, the real bill we should be worried about is ACTA. It makes SOPA look like its little brother. It's been developed IN SECRET over the last 4 years or so, been signed by the USA, Europe, Japan, Australasia and others. If the EU votes for it soon then it'll come into power. The powers it has DWARVES SOPA, believe me. Look it up, we've gotta stop it or the internet will cease to exist as we know it. This is just the type of website I reckon would disappear because of it. It claims to be against counterfeiting but really it's just like what SOPA would've done. Bad, bad news and I don't think the powers that be will ever stop until the internet is controlled and censored. As it is it's far to divisive due to how easy and quickly people can spread 'subvertive' ideas and information.

Yeah I have heard of it before. It is weird how SOPA made the whole internet go crazy yet this bill seems to be going under the radar. I think it is because a lot of people just heard of SOPA and hated the idea but didn't get the whole picture so now that SOPA is on hold they think the threat is gone. I hate people that want power over everything.
<<

vienessewaltzer

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:35 am

I'm thinking about buying one of these now. Was really hoping for the tour! :) :armed:

Also, awesome videos Oldfast, right out of the package is very cool.

Small keyway....I'm gonna have to go buy a set of friggin TOK tension wrenches....Yep. To the lockpickshop webpage! haha
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:56 am

NoNeedForAKey wrote:/----- One question about the lock though, how the hell are you supposed to get the keys for the lock to open the bag if they are locked inside the bag? -----\
Well, I was movin' along quickly, so you probably didn't see. Although it is locked when it comes out of the package... the zipper is not actually
underneath the locking latch. Also, the lock itself is key-retaining for precisely that reason... you don't want to end up with your keys in a locked bag.

So, there's at least a half-dozen of you who expressed interest in having a KP tour with this money bag. If there's still a want for this, I'd like to get it started.
Now, I'm NOT going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, and become 'Mr. Sensor', since that's precisely what this whole situation was about lol.
You're most certainly free to shoot your vid and say WHATEVER you please! After all... that's your right lol. But IMHO, I liked donofdeath's take on it:

Thedonofdeath wrote:/----- hold on now, this isnt a smear campaign. Its just about picking a lock. I'll be very professional in my video and will not do anything different then any other vid -----\

Anyway, as it stands... this is what I see:

EDIT****FOR THE TRUE RUNNING LIST... REFER TO PAGE 4 OF THIS THREAD****EDIT
Thedonofdeath
Sour
NoNeedForKey
mdchurchill
vienessewaltzer
pickafication
firstbiggestmost
Aedalas
EDIT****FOR THE TRUE RUNNING LIST... REFER TO PAGE 4 OF THIS THREAD****EDIT

Give me a yay or na guys, and we'll get started. Right now I'm thinking of putting a
lock in with it that I think most of you will have a hell-of-a fun battle with :D I did anyway.
Last edited by Oldfast on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:56 am

Count me in, I'll pay postage to the next guy when I'm done.

I will tell you this, if you put a Farmerfreak lock or an Assa v-10 or something like that in the bag I will pass it along I'm still learning! That said a challenge would be welcomed though.
<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 am

I know I'm new around here, but it would be cool to get in on the action. :drool: :hbg:
What man has done, man can do.
<<

m0ose

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm excited to see the bag make some rounds. To bad you don't have Keyes to stuff in the bag too. :P
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 pm

I'd love to get in on this too if that's okay. I probably won't be able to pick anything but the easiest (so I won't have it long :razz: ) but I have a lock I'd like to throw in and see picked. Shipping to the next is no problem.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
PreviousNext

Return to Random Banter