FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Electrolytic Rust Removal

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Electrolytic Rust Removal

Indeed, it meant A LOT to me. Thank you Pete!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Been a year now since I fired up the good ol' ELECTRO-MONSTER. :D

LSA sent this to me in hopes that I could reveal whatever life may still lurk beneath it. lol
He also sent quite a few unexpected 'goodies' with it. Thank you kindly sir!

Image Image
(LEFT).... Ready to be powered up. The knife has been clipped at two contact points and submerged.
BE AWARE: although the clips on the knife are red and black, BOTH these leads are NEGATIVE!!
(RIGHT).... Seven hours later, you can see the electro-monster is deep into its' dirty work.

Here it is just after powering up. Bubbles have started forming, but haven't begun rising yet.

At 7 hours I cleaned the piece with a wire brush & steel wool.... then it's back to the bath.

A total soak time of approximately 10 hours. Throughout the process, the clips were
repositioned. This not only gave me different contact points, but also allowed knife
to be hung from various angles. I did this 'repositioning' maybe 5 times in 10 hours.

And a few more before & after pics......

Electrolysis leaves the piece particularly vulnerable to rust when initially taken out of the solution.
LSA can decide what he'd like to do. But until that time I've placed a light coating of TC-11 on this
in order to preserve the progress I've made with it. Earlier in this thread, MBI had made mention
of cold bluing for looks as well as protection. I think this would be a great option for this piece.

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:04 am

Night and day.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks Mike! btw... a while back, I did purchase "Perma Blue" made by BIRCHWOOD/CASEY.

Still haven't tried it out on anything yet. I think I might give it a whirl on somethin' soon though.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:21 am

Here's a lock I feel is rather interesting. And, it's the first lock I've ever subjected to my electro-monster.

A laminated American padlock No. P5 that uses a Yale keyway.

I have a set of 3 of these, keyed alike, with two keys. They were on a property that my parents
acquired in the early 70's. Maybe they're not all that rare, but these are the only ones I've seen.

I've decided to clean this one up and send it to a fella that appreciates Americans as I do :D

Image Image

Here, as is the case with SO many locks, you can see the shackle has absorbed all of life's troubles.
Electro-plating is something I plan to look into. I think it would take restoration to the next level.

Image Image
MADE IN ITALY - PATENTED

Yes Xeo, you get a key with this one... and no, you can't see it (like that'll slow you down any) Ha!
Decided not to put any protective coating on this. I'm curious how it'll fair. Lemme know, eh?

Trol-lo-lo-lo my friend. :rofl:
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Oldfast another amazing thread. You sir are just fire.
Thanks for sharing that American lock. I just recently discovered that American made laminated padlocks and more just a few days ago discovered that they use other keyways aside from their AM. Great lock and a collection piece. American love bought back to shine. sweet.
<<

Anero

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:08 pm

this is amazing, I will keep this in my back pocket. it may come in handy some day :D
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks guys. I certainly had a lot of fun learning from others in order to successfully make my own.

As you seen, it made for some amazing results with various items. But in regards to removing rust
when it comes to locks - I think there's probably better ways. Also, it can leave the piece particularly
vulnerable to more rust if you do not know what you're doing!

What I'd really like to do if/when I revisit this... is look into using this process in reverse
for electro-plating. Now THAT I think would be quite useful in terms of restoration!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Hey Oldfast, quick question on this...

What dimensions, voltages, etcetera would you use if you wanted to get the rust off something a little larger. Say, I don't know, a 3,000-3,500 pound antique safe?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:23 pm

lol... Well, during the research phase for this project I recall, more than once,
coming across stories where very large items were done. One I remember
was an antique car frame that was done in someone's swimming pool! lol

So I'd imagine a safe could be done. However, I have NO idea of how much
voltage you would use nor would I even dare to guess. While I'm at it, lemme
just say... I am NOT liable for the safety of you OR your family Gordon, HaHA!
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:35 pm

Now that is damned impressive Mike!

I had no idea that electrolysis worked that well and I am quite frankly shocked at the results you have achieved.

I will be bookmarking this thread and be following along and will be interested in what you find out about E-plating. So keep this puppy alive and I look forward to your future endeavours.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Hmmm. Reading the links you provided in the thread, and while the whole safe may be too large (and heavy) to do, perhaps I can make a special tank and borrow a cherry-picker (engine hoist) and just dunk the door. Anyway, 500-600 pounds is a lot lighter to move than 3,000-3,500 pounds. Can sandblast the body of the safe or use naval jelly. But it is freeing up the boltwork that has me most concerned. Will have to think about it. (Not to mention convincing the missus to put up with an oversize electrolysis tank for a while. Don't think the'll believe that I can use it to remove rust from jewelry, do you?)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

g_kinz

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:55 am

yo free stuck bolt work PB BLASTER!!! its the best stuff in the world for stuck hardware.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:26 pm

g_kinz wrote:yo free stuck bolt work PB BLASTER!!! its the best stuff in the world for stuck hardware.

There are better rust penetrants than PB blaster, but for a safe that has been outside for decades, it is gonna take a little more than PB blaster.

Gordon
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:38 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Hmmm. Reading the links you provided in the thread, and while the whole safe may be too large (and heavy) to do, perhaps I can make a special tank and borrow a cherry-picker (engine hoist) and just dunk the door. Anyway, 500-600 pounds is a lot lighter to move than 3,000-3,500 pounds. Can sandblast the body of the safe or use naval jelly. But it is freeing up the boltwork that has me most concerned. Will have to think about it. (Not to mention convincing the missus to put up with an oversize electrolysis tank for a while. Don't think the'll believe that I can use it to remove rust from jewelry, do you?)

Gordon

LMAO
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
PreviousNext

Return to Random Banter