FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

ILCO 025 and Steel Keys

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:54 pm

ILCO 025 and Steel Keys

RE: ILCO 025 I bought last week. After taking the hood off to clean the former hardware store key machine I noticed 3 corrugated steel Master key blanks amongst the brass shavings. Each blank had been attempted to be cut on this machine. I could see the cutter chatter marks on the Master blanks. This was not a slot cutter or a side mill cutting wheel. Either the owner or a store employee found out that this was a no-no. But.......it took 3 blanks for them to realize this. Don't cut steel keys unless you have the proper cutting wheel.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: DON'T---DON'T---DON'T

Yeah, have seen a couple chewed/chipped cutting wheels from someone trying to cut steel keys. I file them by hand, though if I ever get the Blitz I want, I may make my manual duplicator into a slotted cutter.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: ILCO 025 and Steel Keys

Thanks for the heads up gents. I was about to transfer my impressioned key onto a steel blank Potti provided with his padlock. Could have fucked my guys machine and been in the hole for $100 or so.

Potti, if you see this, Ill be sending you the blank to cut and transfer. Since your local locksmiths almost only carry steel blanks their cutting machines must be set up for it as well :)
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: ILCO 025 and Steel Keys

Papa Gleb wrote:Thanks for the heads up gents. I was about to transfer my impressioned key onto a steel blank Potti provided with his padlock. Could have fucked my guys machine and been in the hole for $100 or so.

Potti, if you see this, Ill be sending you the blank to cut and transfer. Since your local locksmiths almost only carry steel blanks their cutting machines must be set up for it as well :)

LOL I have an Ilco 025 and Potti314 sent me steels blanks!!! LOL

Hugo Martel :circlip:
Random wrote: Here is my tip of the day "Do not fart while wearing overalls".

Return to Key Making