FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cutting keys for Best SFIC core Premium keyways.

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 am

Cutting keys for Best SFIC core Premium keyways.

How do people do this if they don't have a code machine that can handle that blank? The sleazy answer is to code cut the pattern onto a regular blank and duplicate it onto the premium key. Are there non-Best machines that do an acceptable job of this?
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Cutting keys for Best SFIC core Premium keyways.

Best Keys are normally cut using a key punch not a key machine,
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:25 am

Correct...you really want the proper combinator.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:13 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Correct...you really want the proper combinator.

That makes sense - my punch can't handle the wide keys, but it looks like if I get a second sfic kit, I could modify the key holder to support the premium keyways. This is a hobbyist project, I want to rekey some of the premium keyway cores that I got off Fleabay.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:32 pm

I've modified a clamp assembly and it works great! This trick only works for certain profiles (WA,WB,WC,WG, WH, WY clamp up OK) but for those profiles it is good. Now I have additional keys for my WA Best cores.

The modified clamp is on the right. The W series keys are 40 thou thicker, so I had to remove about that much so it would fit correctly. The critical holding point is at the bottom of the key, and another important point is the tip notch, since that's the reference point for the location of the pins. The bottom of the key section is 80 thou for both WA and A, so I didn't have to do anything there. I had to remove material where the fatter part of the key bulges out - I made it flat so it would work with other W profiles.

modified_clamp.jpg

This shows keys mounted in the modified/unmodified clamp assemblies.

mounted_in_clamp.jpg

The clamp assembly in the Pak-a-Punch.

wa_in_combinator.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:19 pm

And there goes your punch. Those keys will chew it up. The Pak-a-Punch is great in a pinch but it is not meant for doing those thick keys.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:24 am

mdc5150 wrote:And there goes your punch. Those keys will chew it up. The Pak-a-Punch is great in a pinch but it is not meant for doing those thick keys.

The thickness of the bitting area is 50 thou on the A and WA keys. It does vary a bit (some samples were 46 to about 53) but it's nominally 50 for the blanks I've tested. Some of the JMA blanks I tested were 40 thou, but I think that's more of a cost saving measure. I agree that if you're doing a lot with IC cores a better punch is required, but for casuals like me, this works fine.
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:38 pm

I cut these on my 1200. I use the B vise and a shim that I made by cutting a flat brass safe blank just past a 9 in all positions using the Best A2 card, so the cutter never comes into contact with the shim/has to cut 2 things at once. I know it's not a punch, but the few keys I have made using this method have worked great, even in cores with original pins. I think modifying a vise for the pak-a-punch is quite ingenious. The only thing I could see that being hard on is the blade, which is replaceable.
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Figured I'd add some pictures...

I haven't tried this on left-hand keyways (WD & WE) but I have tried it on a couple of different right-hand keyways with great results.

Photo of the shim:
shim.jpg

Edge view of the blank and shim in the B vise:
side.jpg

Overview of the blank and shim in the B vise:
top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

JSwistak

Post Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 pm

[quote="tpark"]I've modified a clamp assembly and it works great! This trick only works for certain profiles (WA,WB,WC,WG, WH, WY clamp up OK) but for those profiles it is good. Now I have additional keys for my WA Best cores.

This is an awesome idea, exactly they type of solution I was looking for!
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:42 am

malfunctionjunction wrote:Figured I'd add some pictures...

I haven't tried this on left-hand keyways (WD & WE) but I have tried it on a couple of different right-hand keyways with great results.

Photo of the shim:
shim.jpg

Edge view of the blank and shim in the B vise:
side.jpg

Overview of the blank and shim in the B vise:
top.jpg

Hey thats kind of cool, I cut BEST keys on my 1200 as well... I may have to try a shim as well
I wanted to get another B jaw and grind it so it fit just the BEST keys... maybe

Return to Key Making