FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key punches and paracentric keyway sections.

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Key punches and paracentric keyway sections.

Do you know if the HPC punches can cut curved key sections? I think it would work fine for relatively flat blade sections like those on Schlage or Best blanks, but I don't know if they are usable on others. Also, how critical is it to have the cut angle correct? SFIC uses 90 degrees, and Schlage uses 100, how important is that?

Thanks,
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu May 05, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: Key punches and paracentric keyway sections.

Can it cut them? Sure. So can an angle grinder. Can it cut them correctly and accurately without bending up the key? Not really.

For Best, I'd want to use the recommended angles. The lands may be different width, and Best are very picky as to precision.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 05, 2016 8:01 pm

the angle also can effect the MACS, the extra 10 degrees may possibly change the adjacent cut spec. You could concieveably loose a depth reducing the number of usable combinations.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 05, 2016 8:34 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Can it cut them? Sure. So can an angle grinder. Can it cut them correctly and accurately without bending up the key? Not really.

For Best, I'd want to use the recommended angles. The lands may be different width, and Best are very picky as to precision.

Gordon

My punch experience has been OK, but not great - The cut width on Schlage locks is narrower, but the ramps are less steep. I have the correct dies on order, but I don't think the Pak-A-Punch cuts as accurately as other systems. I was hoping the HPC punch could cover my hobbyist activities. Maybe I should just suck it up and get the Framon 2 machine. Even there, I would have to change the cutter to switch between Schlage and Best.

If the HPC punch can punch Schlage and Best to within +/- 2 though, I'd be happy.

--Ted.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 05, 2016 8:42 pm

mastersmith wrote:the angle also can effect the MACS, the extra 10 degrees may possibly change the adjacent cut spec. You could concieveably loose a depth reducing the number of usable combinations.

I do think that's possible, but I've been fortunate and it hasn't been a problem. The LAB pins I use appear to be more tolerant - you can have significant punching errors, and the key will still work OK, but new BEST cylinders with BEST pins aren't as forgiving - if you cut the key with Schlage angles, it will work, but be stiff, or require some wiggling to work. A bit of work with a file will fix it, but it would be nice to be able to cut perfect, in spec keys.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 07, 2016 10:49 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Can it cut them? Sure. So can an angle grinder. Can it cut them correctly and accurately without bending up the key? Not really.

The Blue Punch is the only one that I have seen that can do it without torquing the shit out of a key. I have a Rytan 2000 punch set up for Schlage and Schlage Reverse, it works well on standard blanks but on the thicker NS Everest blanks I have to go over it twice for deeper cuts. Anything deeper than a 4, I make the first cut half as deep then come back and go deeper. It works.

tpark wrote: Maybe I should just suck it up and get the Framon 2 machine. Even there, I would have to change the cutter to switch between Schlage and Best.

It has a universal cutter installed, the only time you need to change it is for some auto and Medeco. On Best you just widen your cuts manually. I just got a 2 not too long ago and I wouldn't trade it for anything :)
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 07, 2016 10:23 pm

dmasters wrote:

The Blue Punch is the only one that I have seen that can do it without torquing the shit out of a key. I have a Rytan 2000 punch set up for Schlage and Schlage Reverse, it works well on standard blanks but on the thicker NS Everest blanks I have to go over it twice for deeper cuts. Anything deeper than a 4, I make the first cut half as deep then come back and go deeper. It works.

tpark wrote: Maybe I should just suck it up and get the Framon 2 machine. Even there, I would have to change the cutter to switch between Schlage and Best.

It has a universal cutter installed, the only time you need to change it is for some auto and Medeco. On Best you just widen your cuts manually. I just got a 2 not too long ago and I wouldn't trade it for anything :)

Thanks for the info, I think that buying a punch machine may not meet my requirements, and I'm going to be better off getting a real code machine.

Return to Key Making