FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Corbin 5 pin padlock questions

<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 am

Corbin 5 pin padlock questions

I can't seem to impression this little brass beast. I hope to probe it and get some info but I need the bottom pin sizes and diameter. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I found the S & D info for Corbin small pin locks and that seems to match my impression marks so I think that much is correct.
I'd be greatful for any help with this battle.
Thanks....
Steve
(Escapenrv)
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Re: Corbin 5 pin padlock questions

How about a picture of the padlock and what blank key it uses would help.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

A photo will take awhile but this may help. It is solid brass. About 1.48 " (37.6mm) wide, 1.40 " (35.5mm) tall. This is body only. Just has CORBIN on one side and something about using graphite. It reminds me of US NAVY padlocks I have seen but not owned.
The key blank is CO 106 (1003M) which is a 5 pin blank. The lock has 5 brass plugs in one side where pin stacks were loaded.

I have been using the S & D info for the CORBIN small pin locks; DEPTH: .281 to .169 in .0125 in steps. SPACING: .172, .297,.422.....797 and these agree with the marks on my key blanks before I reduced them to brass dust.

I tried about 4 or 5 blanks, several plastic credit card card home made blanks and 3 aluminium blanks made from thin beer or soda cans. This keeps me off the streets but I'm ready for a working key. My next attack is to try to read a few of the pin depths. I have picked the lock again and have it secured so it will not lock back so I can get into the key hole and make a guess or two and see where that leads me.

I will try to measure some pin depths. Sometimes that helps me and sometimes not.

I have impressioned some of the easy locks like Master, Schlage, Kwikset and few others. I have taken apart several old YALE padlocks and made keys for them and others. I look at this as a learning experience.
Thanks for your interest.
Steve
<<

madsamurai

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:59 pm

If you're trying to file to known depths when you're impressioning, you could be hurting yourself... if there is a worn bottom pin it might not align with a factory bitting, and filing to specified depths may go too far and miss the shear line. Better to follow the marks and file off a little at a time. I made that mistake myself early on, but found it was actually much quicker to ignore the specs and follow the marks, especially with older worn locks.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Yes, I've had more than one worn pin ruin my day too. I try to just use marks but this lock does not mark well. It doesn't help that my eyes are old.
Today I picked the lock and fitted a small tool to keep it picked. I then measured each pin from the end of the pin to the bottom of the keyway. This should give me the root depths.
I filed a blank to one depth higher than what I measured and then tried to work down using marks until I reached my measured depths. I must have mad a mistake with my measurements because I did not get an open. I may try again next week...I'm tired of looking at this beast.
Thanks for the advise.
Steve

Return to Key Making