FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key blanks, and quality.

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Key blanks, and quality.

I have been making quite a few keys lately, and I have had a few different brands of blanks, now I am starting to use one specific brand. I don't have alot of experience and I am kind of learning as I go. Has anybody else noticed that some of the cheaper blanks don't cut as well? I have also noticed that some of them I have cut, didn't work in the lock as well. So far I have came to the conclusion that a person should never cheap out on blanks, the better brands just seem to be of a better spec and work alot better. I even used some Aluminum blanks, they clog up the cutter wheel and actually can start to bend the blades of the keys.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Key blanks, and quality.

I agree, I had to learn this early on. Your reputation is only remembered by how well the key works, also a shop name stamped on the blank helps attract repeat sales.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm

jailersmith wrote:I agree, I had to learn this early on. Your reputation is only remembered by how well the key works, also a shop name stamped on the blank helps attract repeat sales.

How would I stamp each blank? Do they make some kind of stamper that you just put them under, and hit it or what, I think I have seen these and there expensive. That would be awesome advertising though. Might look into it.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:07 pm

For the most part cheaper blanks are cheaper because they cut a corner somewhere. Have had SC1 blanks from a manufacture that we had to file the bottom side of the key because they didn't have the same kerf that runs along from bow to tip on the bottom of the key. It was square and lock cylinder is not square so the leading edge on the bottom of the key blank would drag across the housing.

There is an advertiser in the back of the National Locksmith Mag that will custom make stamps for you. Henry A . Evers Corp all they have is a phone number 1-800-55-EVERS.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Flake and most other major suplliers will sell the blanks alreay printed with your info. when you pull up a blank on flakje website it will say personalline or something similar. click onj that and it will explain.They charge to set up die then you place your orders and they come stamped. Or you can do it one at a time. But again somebody has to make that stamp and its not really cheap. But in the long run it will pay ofr it self.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:45 am

Might check this out, thanks guys. Lockoutguys, you ever get your key blanks this way or not?
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:01 am

If you go with a company like Kustom Keys, They'll actually coin your company name and logo onto all the blanks they make for you. You just pay a one-time registration fee for the set-up. A side benefit is that all the blanks come with a rectangular head, so the shape of the head will stifle your average key cutter, who depends on the shape of a key head for its identification. Stores like Lowe's and Home Depot will tell your customers, "we don't have that key".
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 am

We do order some keys with our information stamped, with medeco we have our name embossed in all our blanks. It looks much cleaner than stamping.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:45 am

magician59 wrote:If you go with a company like Kustom Keys, They'll actually coin your company name and logo onto all the blanks they make for you. You just pay a one-time registration fee for the set-up. A side benefit is that all the blanks come with a rectangular head, so the shape of the head will stifle your average key cutter, who depends on the shape of a key head for its identification. Stores like Lowe's and Home Depot will tell your customers, "we don't have that key".

:rofl: That is super funny. I personally know some of those wankers and watching them work is like a sous chef observing a pimple faced burger flipper. That is actually a really cool idea, I just looked at their website.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:53 pm

I think you can get the personalized keys direct from JET. I've always liked Ilco's key blanks the best.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to Key Making