FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Keys by code, Pro question:

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:23 am

Keys by code, Pro question:

So I have very little experience making keys with a code machine, and using the code software, but I have found a problem that I am sure that experienced guys often run into and I want to know what you do. So I enter a code off the face of a lock, I can't think of one so I will use an example, CH756, you enter that and up comes a ton of key codes, say I am making this key for a toolbox, but it is real sketchy on the manufacture of the lock, how do you know what code is a good code for your lock, and not something totally different, I can think of using the code that goes with the key that fits in the lock, but sometimes more than one key profile will fit into these, so that isn't really a good process of illimination. I wish every manufacture used key codes only specific to there brand, it seems that a key code is sometimes used by alot of other brands too, and they are different keyways and cuts all together.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Keys by code, Pro question:

What I do is see what key blank goes in first to narrow the possibilities down. Then if I have the lock in hand I will pick it and get a general Idea of the cuts and see if anything is close. Other than that I have no good way, just trial and error.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 am

exactley what kokomo said. There is no sure way of doing anything. Sometimes you waste of few blanks. Quit worrying so much KIDD. lol
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:56 am

Time and experience. Even then its a best guess sometimes.

We charge full price on the first code cut and 50% of our regular code cut for each additional one. We always let the customer know that there are no guarantees with keys off of a code because the lock could have been rekeyed in the first place.

Return to Key Making