FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key cutting steel blanks

<<

WOT

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:35 pm

Key cutting steel blanks

Lockeylew, I heard steel keys for use in pin & tumbler locks are more common in Europe, so perhaps you can enlighten me on how I can do this.

In the US, steel keys are seldom used, with the exception of flat slotted safe deposit box keys that have cuts of varying depth that looks like |_| and these machines can only cut straight down. They can't track along.

For everything else with cuts that looks like \_/, copper alloy keys are used.

What do I use to code cut this stainless steel key?
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Key cutting steel blanks

well i would say that most of it is having a good blade. either that or do it very slowly on your normal blade. other than that i really wouldnt know what to suggest.

Lew
<<

WOT

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:39 pm

Lockylew wrote:well i would say that most of it is having a good blade. either that or do it very slowly on your normal blade. other than that i really wouldnt know what to suggest.

Lew

What type blade do European key machines have? Mine has a titanium nitride coated HSS.

Ilco told me NOT to cut steel keys on this cutter.
<<

WOT

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 pm

Romstar wrote:Stainless blanks generally require a punch.

Even then, you are going to dull it much more quickly. The only other choice is a carbide cutter in a standard machine.

Romstar

A punch such as?
Pro-Lok tells you NOT to punch the Stainless Steel blank.
http://www.pro-lok.com/pc-122-44-bp201s ... punch.aspx

Schlage won't tell me a thing. They say at their factory, they use a "very large rotary cutter", but no details and basically recommends "order it precut from factory"

Return to Key Making