FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Printable Key Decoder

<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Printable Key Decoder

This is my best guess as to where to post this. Please move if appropriate.

Does anyone have/has anyone seen a place to purchase a printable version of a depth decoder? The metal ones are fine, but I would like one that is a little less thick for my wallet. I realize that it''s probably more work comparing on a printed piece of paper vs. a solid cutout, but I'd like the convenience of the paper.

Really appreciate your time & help.
<<

Russ

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 pm

Re: Printable Key Decoder

you could prob trace one out of a old credit card it would hold up good
. Automotive Locksmith
Facts only No BS
Tale the Truth and nothing but the Truth
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 am

That is actually a great idea. If someone gets together the measurements I can cut them on some credit card stock with a laser cutter. I'm thinking maybe schlage and kwikset on the same card.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

Russ

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 am

gnarus8429 wrote:That is actually a great idea. If someone gets together the measurements I can cut them on some credit card stock with a laser cutter. I'm thinking maybe schlage and kwikset on the same card.

I dont know where I get these brain farts from but they just happen :agree:
. Automotive Locksmith
Facts only No BS
Tale the Truth and nothing but the Truth
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 am

While you are at it with that laser cutter make one that measures thousandths of an inch in small increments as a universal decoder.
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 am

gnarus8429 wrote:That is actually a great idea. If someone gets together the measurements I can cut them on some credit card stock with a laser cutter. I'm thinking maybe schlage and kwikset on the same card.

Stumbled across http://www.locksafesystems.com/depth_and_space.htm#Kwikset_Regular_and_SmartKey_Space_and_Depth this in my search. I'm crazy busy right now, but I'm going to try and turn that information into something printable within the next few weeks. If anyone comes across something that already exists I'd still love to have it, otherwise I'll make something up and have it available here as time allows.
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 pm

So here's the deal. I've been working with GIMP & Photoshop to try and create an accurate template.

I've run into two problems though:
1) Neither tool (Photoshop/GIMP) can get any more accurate than a tenth of an inch. (Some are accurate to a hundredth, most ~a tenth.)
2) Accuracy is further degraded when attempting to print.

Bottom line: This might be usable for basic comparison, but I am unable to make anything more useful than that. I've done a Kwikset (standard), but I'm not convinced this is the correct method to go ahead with as accuracy really isn't the best. I'm going to experiment by using my calipers and doing a template by hand. I'm not confident that'll produce better results, but it's worth a shot.

At the end of the day I now know why this doesn't exist yet. No worries though, I'm going to keep trying & the next few weeks I'll have some time on my hand to keep playing with this.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 pm

I can probably do it on autocad... and print it to pdf
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:I can probably do it on autocad... and print it to pdf

I heart the big guns. Autocad.... I feel like such a poser with GIMP.

I posted a link above with multiple depths. I was planning on doing a Kwikset/Schlage/Yale on one printable card, but obviously do what you would like & make available what you choose.

Edit to add: I can't believe I'm talking to the person who runs LockSmithArmy... I LOVE your site! Keep doing great work.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:24 pm

lol thank you ;)

Ill take a look at what youve posted and do some number crunching...

you think like a business card would be good?
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:52 pm

i look forward to seeing how this turns out ^_^
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Inkscape may do the trick as well and its free to boot.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 pm

It may or may not be at all what you were asking for... but here it is...

im not super pleased with the outcome... you will need to print these in hi res or the lines will blur together... and I had to make the numbers really small aswell... someone pleas print some and let me know how well they work for you...

just line you key up to the key shown and read the lines...

the bows are not exact as I did not want to take that much time so just line up the bottom of your key blade with bottom line for your key and you will be right on as for depth...

pleas give feedback...

Printable Key Decoder.pdf

I also have some more ideas... just showing the steps like the cutout... but i thought this would be faster to use... only issue is the small letters and close lines...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 am

Thank you knocking this out. I had envisioned the outcome to look more like the metal Key Decoders that are out there, but your model makes MUCH more sense.

Obviously the problem of printing remains & I'm going to experiment on a few different printers I have access to and try and find one suitable.
Otherwise this solves the problem I had of wanting a small reference card that is thin enough to place in a wallet. The trade-off to this convenience is durability & ease of reference, but the ability to carry is still present.

Truly, thanks for taking a few minutes of your time and doing this. Know that as soon as I can print this in a usable fashion (even if that takes a trip to Staples) it'll earn a place in my wallet.

Can I ask, what changes were you thinking of implementing?
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 am

the only other idea I had was just put the steps for each position in a scale more like the metal decoder... it woulda been faster to make but harder to use... maybe not harder but it would take longer...

I did put that pdf on my phone... and it works well... if you have a smartphone. no printing necessary... if I had the willpower I could make a large one for cell phone use that had more locks on it... just adjust the zoom till its actual size and the lay your key on your phone...
Next

Return to Key Making