FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

key duplication

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:51 pm

key duplication

note to Lew:if i put this in the wrong spot i'm sorry and please move it to a proper place

ok. i need to duplicate my brinks max security shrouded because i'm using it to lock up my toolbox that's full of 90 bucks in cash and still growing. it's an AM1045 key blank. anyway...i was wondering what files to use to make the cuts. i know that they say pippin files work...but what are pippin files? what are they shaped like? i've been thinking about using a trianglular file for roughing it out and using the flat file so that the pins can rest some where. the plan for me is to duplicate the original key...throw out the original key,and duplicate the duplicate again with just 1 cut being lower than the other. so that if someone steals the key...they won't be able to open it. just in case someone notices key cuts (my father doesn't...one time he got locked out of his room when he thought the kwikset key i had goes to his room...the door was unlocked...so the plug didn't spin,but the knob did. i had to pick him into his room again)

thanks guys,Jc
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: key duplication

pippin files have like a teardrop shape to them.
http://www.lockpicks.com/index.asp?Page ... tegory=297
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:55 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:note to Lew:if i put this in the wrong spot i'm sorry and please move it to a proper place

ok. i need to duplicate my brinks max security shrouded because i'm using it to lock up my toolbox that's full of 90 bucks in cash and still growing. it's an AM1045 key blank. anyway...i was wondering what files to use to make the cuts. i know that they say pippin files work...but what are pippin files? what are they shaped like? i've been thinking about using a trianglular file for roughing it out and using the flat file so that the pins can rest some where. the plan for me is to duplicate the original key...throw out the original key,and duplicate the duplicate again with just 1 cut being lower than the other. so that if someone steals the key...they won't be able to open it. just in case someone notices key cuts (my father doesn't...one time he got locked out of his room when he thought the kwikset key i had goes to his room...the door was unlocked...so the plug didn't spin,but the knob did. i had to pick him into his room again)

thanks guys,Jc

i dont understand..if you want a key that doesnt work what difference do the cuts make?
have you locky use a vernier caliper to decode the cuts, then record it somewhere safe...
ie: secret online acct, or e-mail/yahoo..etc..memorize it!
i know exactly who you wish to throw off course, but, i don't get whty you would want to make a key that doesnt work? did you want to make it 1 cut higher,so u could file it down one increment?
btw, i gotta say,jc i am very proud of you and your persistence...DONT give up what you love to to...just DONT.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:05 pm

awol70 wrote:
Jc2intelligent wrote:note to Lew:if i put this in the wrong spot i'm sorry and please move it to a proper place

thanks guys,Jc

i dont understand..if you want a key that doesnt work what difference do the cuts make?
have you locky use a vernier caliper to decode the cuts, then record it somewhere safe...
ie: secret online acct, or e-mail/yahoo..etc..memorize it!
i know exactly who you wish to throw off course, but, i don't get whty you would want to make a key that doesnt work? did you want to make it 1 cut higher,so u could file it down one increment?
btw, i gotta say,jc i am very proud of you and your persistence...DONT give up what you love to to...just DONT.

thank you wiz. i try my best to be optimistic...and in the end, there are always things that you can benefit from. that's why i work hard. persistence is patience,and patience is a virtue.

the reason why i want to make an identical key that wont work is to fool people that,like you and me,can tell the difference between keys. i intend to file it an increment DOWN. anyone can file something down a bit. but if it's already filed down too low you won't be able to file it to the shear line. the way i'll be able to tell the difference is that i'll tell everyone that i re-pinned it and added finger pins and a sidebar,if you look at the grooves on the side of a key with finger pins or sidebars you'll see that they have indentations on them. so all i have to do is file some indentations into the gooves and fool everyone. i'm always the type to work hard. i go to great lengths for everything. the second lawn i mowed took me 8 hours. i worked my hands to the bone,and i only got 25 dollars for it. and that's how i got my kloms. i'm always willing to work hard,because there's always an incentive to something.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Josh wrote:pippin files have like a teardrop shape to them.

oh, you're talking about those half-round files right? a semi-circle? i got a few of those. i need the REALLY small files right?
<<

rxfiller

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am

The best inexpensive files to use for making keys are chain-saw files you can get a variety of sizes for a lot less than one pippin file.

Regards,
Bob.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 am

rxfiller wrote:The best inexpensive files to use for making keys are chain-saw files you can get a variety of sizes for a lot less than one pippin file.

Regards,
Bob.

good idea. i think that i'll try that. but i think i already have a pippin file, i think that it's a half-round one, it's in my set of needle files. so i might use those too. thanks
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:
Josh wrote:pippin files have like a teardrop shape to them.

oh, you're talking about those half-round files right? a semi-circle? i got a few of those. i need the REALLY small files right?
they arent really half round, but those should work too. i have used many different files to make keys, so really as long as you do it right, almost any file will work. as long as it is size appropriate.

Return to Key Making