FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

SHTF Entry Kit

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:33 am

SHTF Entry Kit

Hey folks, noob here. I have been playing around on and off with picking for a few years now. I have recently (last 3 months) picked up the only pick set I own, a "James Bond" credit card pick set, cheap and flimsy. I have gotten to the point of single pin picking up to 5 pin locks with no security pins, but it takes me a while on 5 pins.

ANYWAYS - I was toying with the question of "What would I need in a kit to be able to enter at least 90% of doors (and filing cabinets, vending machines, lock boxes, car trunks, padlocks, briefcases, anything you might need to get into) that I would encounter in an urban/suburban environment?"

Here are my "rules":

Assume you have no other tools, you are building either from scratch or building a standalone kit to go in a go bag or similar.

Assume that you will practice with this kit to become at least moderately proficient with each tool.

Size and Weight is a concern, as well as cost. While less is more, if there is a tool that significantly increases S&W or is relatively pricey, but allows for a potential large payoff (like if I knew all food vending machines in my area used 7 pin tubular locks, it might be worth it to carry a 7 pin tubular pick, even though they are large and expensive). Keep in mind though, that ultimately this full kit needs to fit in a relatively small compartment of a backpack/duffle that will share space with food, water, other tools and supplies.

Cost - try to keep under $150, not counting Tax + S&H if ordering online. Again, see above if there is something that has potential for large payoff, this can be waived.

Destructive entry is also an option, if the S really has HTF, then evidence of entry is less of a concern, though we may want to leave doors/etc structurally intact.

Speaking of discretion, lets say that the particular scenario to have hit the fan makes is such that outside exposure should be limited. So while you can pick alot of things with very basic equipment, I dont want to be crouched outside the store for 30-45 minutes while zombies are roaming around outside! Time is of the essence, but again, we can trade off time for size and weight and cost, vs potential payoff.

Try to avoid specific bypass tools that only open 1 type of lock, we will assume these will be added on a regional basis based on previous factors (size/weight/cost vs potential payoff in local area).

Lastly, for bonus points, if all components can be sourced from one online retailer, even better (but not necessary). We are assuming we are putting this kit together in advance, not on the fly, so we can afford to order from multiple sources and wait for slow shipping.

So my initial (and likely ill informed) kit would look something like this:
Sparrow's WizWazzle $79 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/Wizwazzle_p/s-9.htm
Sparrow's Warded Pick Set $15 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/ward.htm
Sparrow's Mini Jim $8.50 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/mj.htm
Sparrow's Ultra Decoder $15 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/produc ... ecoder.htm (not sure if this and the shank are somewhat interchangeable? http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/s-shank.htm)
Sparrow's Quickshim $20 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/qs.htm

Total (Pre Tax/Shipping): $137.50

Potential Add Ons:
Sparrow's Wafer Picks $20 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/wafer.htm (pretty sure that regular hooks and rakes will get me in almost as quick)
Sparrow's Crow+Bar $20 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/crowbar.htm (prying would likely be covered by another piece of kit in the go bag)
Sparrow's Handcuff Shim $6 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/h-shim.htm (could be done with other tools, or an actual key can cost less, so any thoughts on handcuff key vs shim?)
EDIT*ADD Sparrow's Bump Keys $25 http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/bk1.htm

So, to all you more experienced folks, let me hear what would be in your kit, and why, or what you would change/add/remove from my kit. Looking forward to replies!

Thanks!
<<

HT4

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 am

Re: SHTF Entry Kit

Not to be dismissive, but the tools really don't matter IMO. Everyone has preferences on brands, tools, etc... And no one is wrong. What really matters is something you can't put in the bag... Thousands of hours of practice. Without that, we're just talking about expensive toothpicks. Through that practice you will determine what belongs in your particular kit. Not the other way around.

FWIW, in a SHTF/no rule of law situation, I'd put more faith in my size 13 master key, and my .308" diameter lock-drilling apparatus than any picks.

EDIT-

PS- welcome to KP.

PPS- good work with the "credit card" picks. I tried them and couldn't get bupkis... Cool in theory, terrible in practice.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:39 am

Haha! Totally agree on the practice thing. BUt i have always been intrigued by the concept of an all in one kit so i like to postulate in hypotheticals. Also i like gadgets and new toys so this would help me figure out a good wish list of sorts where i could advance from the credit card picks to real tools and plan out different purchases without getting too much redundant equipment. Anyways cant practice with the tools till i figure out what to get.

So maybe not exactly what kit/brand, but conceptually what types of tools would you pack?

Thanks for the input!
<<

Deadlock

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:44 pm

20 oz steel handled claw hammer.

Job done.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way, but when a person's first post is about assembling "a kit to be able to enter at least 90% of doors (and filing cabinets, vending machines..." it makes me raise my eyebrows a little bit. Clearly you've put some thought into this and seem to want some back and forth discussion, as opposed to just instructions on B&E. Maybe it's just my inner cynic talking but to my mind this is perhaps not necessarily the best way to make an introduction and gain trust.

I'm not calling you a thief, please don't take it that way. I'm just saying that if people are hesitant to dive right in with their full lists of favorite bypass tools, etc, you understand why. At least until they get to know you a little bit more.
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Very good point. No offense taken, it totally makes sense. That said, I wont feel bad if noone else responds. And when I said 90% I really was just throwing a number out meant to convey "a good chunk of what you may encounter outside of high security facilities", and not meaning 90% of all locks, just typical lower to mid security types, and I do realize that doesn't change the possible malicious intent, lol.

Again, "all in one kits" for any given topic/task have been a fascination of mine since childhood, I blame MacGyver... Also, yes, I thought it might spark some interesting and out of the box conversation.

So, o well, I guess I can just rummage around the forum looking at other topics and do it the slow way.

Thanks anyways!
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

freek007 wrote:Very good point. No offense taken, it totally makes sense. That said, I wont feel bad if noone else responds. And when I said 90% I really was just throwing a number out meant to convey "a good chunk of what you may encounter outside of high security facilities", and not meaning 90% of all locks, just typical lower to mid security types, and I do realize that doesn't change the possible malicious intent, lol.

Again, "all in one kits" for any given topic/task have been a fascination of mine since childhood, I blame MacGyver... Also, yes, I thought it might spark some interesting and out of the box conversation.

So, o well, I guess I can just rummage around the forum looking at other topics and do it the slow way.

Thanks anyways!

You may get some replies, I'm just saying why they might not come flooding in. At least at first.

Stick around! Introduce yourself. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1067

Maybe stop by the chat room. Particularly in the evenings. chat/

There is a wealth of knowledge contained within our membership here, and most are fairly friendly. I'm the grumpy one.

The Zombie Apocalypse is one of my favorite arenas for mental emergency planning too. I'm firmly convinced that toilet paper will be the currency of the future when the SHTF!
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:39 pm

HAHAHAHA!!

THanks and will do!
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:37 pm

when the "SHTF" id take a roll of paper towels over any of those tools, just sayin

edited for humor
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

hintss

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 pm

For actual picking tools, nothing more than a pick, wrench, rake, and warded picks, [i]maybe[/] including a 7-pin tubular pick.

On top of that, I'd keep a coat hanger and my assortment of coat-hanger-derived tools.
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:50 am

That is just too many tools to carry. Some good tools but, too much to carry . A few picks, a bit o mica (or coke bottle), and few select jigglers open a ton of stuff. Skip the bump picks go with a manual snap pick. Shims DIY because you make them flat and fold them when you need them. All DIY from templates you can find. The skills over stuff will serve you much better when the time comes. If you spend enough time around here you could do a nice kit for your purpose for $50 or less with a little DIY elbow grease. Destructive entry in a SHTF situation will likely be more applicable but, it too is a learned skill to accomplish with things you have on hand. This is my kit:

http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?t=7014&p=63226#p63226

It has been updated a bit but, you will get what I was going for. The kit I carry now is much smaller.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 am

Nice. I like it. Very well thought out. I TOTALLY get it on practice > tools. But, as evidenced by my owning the credit card picks, I am a huge sucker for tacti-cool shiny gadgets.

I am taking everyone's advice to heart, and have decided that the only tools I will be purchasing in the near term are the SERE Bogota set. some people claim that there is not alot (low-mid security wise) you cant open with those, so I figure I will stick with those until i need to progress to additional tools. I figure that plus a rekeyable practice lock should have me set for a few months at least.

I feel like this will prevent me from getting too many tools up front AND satisfy my shiny new gimmicky gadget addiction. Yay.

Now I just need to figure out of I get the stainless, Ti or flat Ti. Is stainless stronger than Ti in pick form? I understand the "advantage" of Ti picks is supposed to be that they are not attracted by magnets? How is this useful? I feel like whichever is least likely to be broken while picking would be my best bet. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again guys, its been a really awesome community thus far.
<<

Deadlock

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:49 am

Can't go wrong with the Bogota Titan pair.

I don't know, but I would guess there's some application, maybe in the aircraft industry, that uses titanium strip that just happens to be the right size for making bogotas with. That's where all these titanium bogotas come from. There's no real world advantage, except because TITANIUM!

Strength isn't a big issue. You don't lean on bogotas to make them work anyway. It's a light up and down, back and forth jiggling motion, possibly combined with the "morse code" tension - tapping the tension wrench, - that does it.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Deadlock wrote:20 oz steel handled claw hammer.

Job done.

Pretty much this if you don't care about making noise.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Josephus

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:45 pm

I have a preference for a 16oz eastwing after learning how to drive framing nails properly. A haligan is surprisingly useful. Irons can do great but very loud and wasteful things.

Tools proper the usual advice is always the best. It does not really matter what you use so long as you have the skill to use them. Learn how to open first and use tools second.
Next

Return to Survival