FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Seed bank??

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Seed bank??

I've been doing alot of reading on survival seed banks. Sounds like a good idea to me. We garden around here already so it's not like I'm completely inexperienced. Does anyone have any opinions on where the best place on the net is to buy one of these seed banks? I live around the gulf coast region so I think just about anything will grow around here. I'm just looking for the best deal/site.
Thanks!

Riff
:hbg:
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Seed bank??

The best thing you can do, is buy local seed from local gardeners. That way you know its liking growing in your area. Let a couple of plants "go to seed" every year and dry them out in the airing cupboard, and store them till the following spring. Strore your potatoes buried in a box in the ground. Take them out and eat them as you need them, or take them out in early spring, and put them resting in a tray of dry sand and let them form small sprouts and your good to plant another year.

Dont get me started on cider and other great wines you can make from almost every fruit in the garden.

If you copy old gardeners,( or current ones in some areas) and how to store seeds, harvest fruit and veg, use them store them, pickle, dry candy, and preserve food, it becomes an enjoyable way of everyday life, and saves you money.
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 pm

If you've got the time and don't mind the effort, I agree with ratlock... you'll do better with seeds from plants you know grow well locally. That said, I have also purchased seed packs from Mozybeau Farms http://www.mozybeaufarms.com/ and really like them. Their seeds are all heirloom, open-pollinated, non-GMO, etc if that's important to you, and they come packaged for long-term storage. Survival caches start at $45 for 101 varieties. Plus they're good people, and I like doing business with good people...
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 pm

madsamurai, thanks for the link! i sent it to a friend of mine. This will probably save him a lot of time! ;)
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.

Return to Survival