FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

BOB - Bug-out-Bag

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:01 pm

BOB - Bug-out-Bag

A BOB is a fully prepared backpack that you can grab and GTFO (get the fuck out) ICE (in case of emergency). I'd like to document my list of contents and see if anyone has suggestions. All of these items are for self-defense and survival reasons for personal protection. Any feedback or suggestions or even similar setups of yours are appreciated. I know this isn't a survival forum, but given the recent times I felt the need to reorganize my shit.

Anyway, to business:

The bag itself is a Maxpedition Vulture II in Black. This bag is fucking annihilation-proof. You can light it on fire (try to), beat the fuck out of it, it won't break.

maxpedition-vulture-ii-backpack-black.jpg

- 1000-Denier water and abrasion resistant light-weight ballistic nylon fabric
- Teflon; fabric protector for grime resistance and easy maintenance
- high strength zippers and zipper tracks (YKK)
- UTX-Duraflex nylon buckles for low sound closures
- Triple polyurethane coated for water resistance
- High tensile strength nylon webbing
- High tensile strength composite nylon thread (stronger than ordinary industry standard nylon thread)
- #AS-100 high grade closed-cell foam padding material for superior shock protection
- Internal seams taped and finished
- Paracord zipper pulls
- Stress points double stitched, Bartacked or "Box-and-X" stitched for added strength

Bag contents:

- Very small lockpick kit (Peterson slender gem/slender hook, two peterson prybars, two rigid tension wrenches)
- 4 day coastguard approved foodbar (Wheat/coconut)
- 12 packets of sealed purified drinking water
- Flask, raincatcher
- Water purification tabs
- 150 rounds of 40 S&W JHP
- 50 rounds of .357 mag 158gr JHP
- 50 rounds of .38 special +P 125gr JHP
- Silicone impgrenated gun wipes
- Gun cleaning cloth tabs
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Triple antibiotic cream
- Band-aids
- Gauze-wrap
- Large roll of super-strength duct tape
- Cu-tips
- Rolaids
- Bushnell binoculars
- 20x AA Batteries
- 20x AAA Batteries
- Small Mag-Lite
- Multitool
- 20oz lightweight hammer (for smashing shit)
- Bug repellant
- Large steel file
- Two construction style pencils
- One small notebook
- 4 Glowsticks
- Very strong large electrical pliars/dikes (pulling open cans/etc, cutting rope)
- Compact foldable metal Spoon/knife/fork
- Knife sharpener
- Compass
- Waterproof maps of the local region
- A Whistle
- Paracord (50 feet)
- Magnesium strip firestarter
- KA-Bar Kukri knife (12 inch blade)

CCWs

- Smith and Wesson 686 Plus .357 Mag/.38 Revolver (7 shot)
- Sig Sauer P229 .40 S&W

Accessories

- Balaclava (facemask)
- Tinted full coverage safety glasses (sand is a real bitch in your eyes)

Missing Items

- Hoppe's Gun Solvent (I have an opened bottle)
- Large bottle of extra strength Excedrin (Excedrin is the only painkiller that works for me)
- Tactical Gloves with kevlar knuckles
- Some sort of breathing HEPA/SCBA filter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xeo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: BOB - Bug-out-Bag

I'd just like to add, before you judge the contents of the bag, it is totally IMPOSSIBLE to plan for every possible situation. You would literally need a van full of items to be prepared for every situation. The items were chosen because they have extremely high utility to size/weight ratios and some of the items are multipurpose. I don't plan on living in the woods with mountain lions for 3 weeks. I don't have a sleeping bag (yet) as I plan to not sleep more than 1-2 hours at a time and there is no cooking shit. I live in a relatively urban island area intermixed with rural wooded sections. Leaving the island on foot would be near-impossible if not extremely difficult.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

whizdumb

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Gotta add a decent flashlight.. Preferably something powered by AA's since you already carry them. If you want a personal opinion from me on what flashlight I would recommend then I'd be more then happy to help. I'd also say maybe add some more utility by dropping the electrical pliers and picking up a multitool like the SOG EOD w/V-cutter. Otherwise I'd say you are prepared for zombie apocalypse.
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:38 pm

whizdumb81 wrote:Gotta add a decent flashlight.. Preferably something powered by AA's since you already carry them. If you want a personal opinion from me on what flashlight I would recommend then I'd be more then happy to help. I'd also say maybe add some more utility by dropping the electrical pliers and picking up a multitool like the SOG EOD w/V-cutter. Otherwise I'd say you are prepared for zombie apocalypse.

I forgot. I do have a small mag-light with a holster. I also do have a multi-tool that I forgot to add to the list. The reason for the electrical pliars/dikes is they're extremely strong for prying/ripping something open.

I'd love to hear what you think is a good tactical flashlight (preferably waterproof).

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:53 pm

So what do you do for communications? Any thought given to that aspect? I wouldn't count on the cellular systems to handle the load.

Consequently, you should have some type of small AM/FM & shortwave receiver to find out what's going on - and a communications plan to stay in touch with family or others in your group.

Do you plan on communicating with other people - or are you going the lone wolf approach? You have to figure the gov't types are not going to give you the full story - they never do. So you need some portable method of communicating with others and keeping abreast of what's happening around you.

Several options are available - everything from hand held portable CB's that run on AA batteries, to small commercial VHF or UHF radios, license free channelized FRS (Family Radio Service) and MURS (multiple use radio service)and also amateur radios (license required).

FRS: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=family

MURS: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=multi_use

Keep in mind that these FRS & MURS radios are typically line-of-sight and are not suited for long distance comm's. For cross country comm's from 200 miles out to 1000 miles or more, shortwave radios are your only answer. The drawback to this is that SW comm's are dependent on time of day, maximum usable frequency for current conditions, radio propagation etc. Furthermore, you will need some type of antenna, coax and battery pack to supply juice to the radio. Although voice modes (AM, FM, Single sideband) are the easiest to use and understand, they'll suck up a lot of your power. The best efficient alternative and most dependable is CW (continuous wave) aka morse code.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread xeo, but communications is something that we really need to consider when putting together our BOB's.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:So what do you do for communications? Any thought given to that aspect?

Thanks for bringing this up HC, you reminded me of a couple other things I need. As far as cell phone's go, I'd probably need to buy a solar-powered charger that has multiple connector types on it.

For local awareness I should probably have a police scanner or at least some fort of basic AM/FM radio.

It seems like you're a comms hobbyist. Do you have any recommendations on a small portable AM/FM microfrequency tuner (i.e. Tuning to FM 104.1553). What would you recommend for AM/FM/policeband? Do they make a all-purpose radio that can scan all the frequency ranges that's small enough to consider?

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

whizdumb

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:29 pm

For a flashlight that will be rugged, last for quite some time, have safety features such as strobe and beacon, as well as numerous output levels to give you the option of powerful light or battery conservation, be waterproof, have momentary forward clicky, be completely field programmable, and tail-stand. I'd go with the 4Sevens Quark AA^2 Tactical.. They are great rugged lights with a host of features and not too expensive considering the application.. Takes two aa simultaneously and is rather bright considering the limited voltage of the power source. Plus there's not a huge size or weight difference between that and the minimag you already have.. Easy to substitute.. Link below.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=2504

As for communications, I would recommend getting an amateur radio. For around $200-$300 dollars, you could get a dual-band capable portable transceiver that properly setup would not only act as a am/fm but give you the ability to talk on the two main amateur bands. Of course as HC said you need a license to do so, however, if you are in a life threatening situation the FCC permits you to use the radio on whatever frequency available to you to call for help. Now if the rule of law has been obviously eradicated then I wouldn't worry too much about a fine from the FCC either (DISCLAIMER: I am in no way promoting the illegal and unlicensed use of amateur radio. If you are at all interested in amateur radio communications then apply to take the test and become licensed to utilize that equipment. Please read the laws pertaining to emergency radio usage of unlicensed individuals before purchasing or operating an amateur radio in an emergency situation. Thank You) If you decide that all of this is worth it for communication in a bug out or emergency scenario. Then might I suggest taking a look into the Yaesu line of dual and triple band portable transceivers. I personally have a VX-7R which is probably too much for your purposes.. However, the vx-5 or vx-6 may better suite your emergency needs and best of all they sell adapters for using the radio off of... You guessed it AA's..

Cheers and Happy Apocalypse,
Whizdumb
Last edited by whizdumb on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Just took a look at the 4Seven Quark AA^2 Tactical. I'm impressed.

Thanks for the advice I'll probably be purchasing one of these.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

whizdumb

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Yeah man.. 4Sevens are some great flashlights.. The programming is a little weird but very intuitive.. Plus Moonlight mode.. good for 53 days straight.. Crazy awesome. Definitely BOB friendly.

It's a little long, but this is an awesome review/comparison by NUTNFANCY on YT.. I'm sure you're aware of who he is if you have ever searched for a light, knife, gun, or pretty much any sorta gear review on YT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUxszAf-JU

<<

rbrande1

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 pm

+1 for the quark aa2 tactical. Running lithium batteries is probably best. They're lighter, better in the cold, last longer, and are much more efficient with the higher outputs. Not to mention they won't leak and ruin your $60 flashlight. Bummer: they cost a ton.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 pm

xeo wrote:
It seems like you're a comms hobbyist. Do you have any recommendations on a small portable AM/FM microfrequency tuner (i.e. Tuning to FM 104.1553). What would you recommend for AM/FM/policeband? Do they make a all-purpose radio that can scan all the frequency ranges that's small enough to consider?

FYI - Actually I'm a hobbyist whose hobby became a professional vocation. I'm a telecom consultant for several large national real estate portfolios.

As far as a radio goes, any good tuner will suffice. You can get some nice AM/FM, shortwave receiver radios out there. Universal Radio has a lot of SW receivers here: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable.html

This Sangean is a nice radio: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/2909.html

But as you stated previously, if you are so inclined - being licensed as an amateur radio operator provides a sensible option. Besides learning basic radio theory, you can utilize its full potential by being able to not only listen - but provide vital communications in case of an emergency.

In addition, most radios can be modified to at least receive some public safety and commercial communications. Also, they can be modified to transmit outside of the ham bands - although doing so is illegal (except in cases of emergency as you previously stated).

As far as scanners go, not all scanners are alike. Some are analog audio, while others are analog and digital audio - and also provide trunking capability. For example, here in the Houston area, HPD still uses conventional analog repeaters on 460 MHz. The Sheriff's dept uses 800 MHz trunking, while the state police use VHF (digital) radios. To find a scanner that can do it all, will set you back a minimum of $500.

Another thing that I think needs to be addressed is money or currency. What do you do for money? Carry a wad of cash? What if there is a financial crisis and the banks fail? Your cash is now worthless. Only precious metals will have any real worth.

I recommend having some 90% silver and gold coins. Pre 1964 dimes, quarters and half dollars are good to have around. Get an old 35mm film canister and stash some gold American Eagles. 1/2 Oz American Eagles can be had for about $795 bucks would be easier to use as currency than the full oz eagles.

Just my 2 cents worth.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Currency... a controversial subject. I can't understand the big rage over precious metals. In a crisis environment I find it hard to imagine there will be some kind of civilized marketplace where people are selling stuff. I envision a free-for-all. I certainly can't see a civilized economy based on precious metals. The real valuable items will be clean water, food, ammo, guns, medical supplies and shelter. Who controls a shelter or particular area? People with guns. In a survival situation I wouldn't trade my firearm or essential supplies away for anything, they're invaluable, especially if you're taking on the lone wolf approach.

All of that aside, what can you do with gold and silver? You can't eat it... you can't plant it in the ground... you can melt it into components sure.... it makes a cool necklace maybe... it has no useful survivalist function. I can see owning a small canister of coins just incase you find some idiot who is trading, other than that, it's probably the last item on my list I'd want. Not to mention its fucking expensive as hell right now.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:42 pm

xeo wrote:Currency... a controversial subject. I can't understand the big rage over precious metals. In a crisis environment I find it hard to imagine there will be some kind of civilized marketplace where people are selling stuff. I envision a free-for-all. I certainly can't see a civilized economy based on precious metals. The real valuable items will be clean water, food, ammo, guns, medical supplies and shelter. Who controls a shelter or particular area? People with guns. In a survival situation I wouldn't trade my firearm or essential supplies away for anything, they're invaluable, especially if you're taking on the lone wolf approach.

All of that aside, what can you do with gold and silver? You can't eat it... you can't plant it in the ground... you can melt it into components sure.... it makes a cool necklace maybe... it has no useful survivalist function. I can see owning a small canister of coins just incase you find some idiot who is trading, other than that, it's probably the last item on my list I'd want. Not to mention its fucking expensive as hell right now.

I see your point. If society does degrade to that point, then what's the use? WTF, just kill everybody you come in contact with, take their shit, and be done with it. Move on to the next victim.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:I see your point. If society does degrade to that point, then what's the use? WTF, just kill everybody you come in contact with, take their shit, and be done with it. Move on to the next victim.

Ever play Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 ? :twisted: :armed:

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 pm

xeo wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:I see your point. If society does degrade to that point, then what's the use? WTF, just kill everybody you come in contact with, take their shit, and be done with it. Move on to the next victim.

Ever play Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 ? :twisted: :armed:

Nope. Ever robbed a liquor store?
Next

Return to Survival