FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

BOB - Bug-out-Bag

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 am

Re: BOB - Bug-out-Bag

I brought my boys a self powered LED flashlight, you know the ones that you wind up. Anyway, they work for quite a long while once powered up and they have a phone charger integrated into it, no need to carry an array of batteries-solar powered charging devices. Maybe worth a look?
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 am

s1deshowmick wrote:I brought my boys a self powered LED flashlight, you know the ones that you wind up. Anyway, they work for quite a long while once powered up and they have a phone charger integrated into it, no need to carry an array of batteries-solar powered charging devices. Maybe worth a look?

where did u find that at ?
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 am

At the local hardware store, was only $15 bucks each....

<<

sandman

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 pm

I'd love to hear what you think is a good tactical flashlight (preferably waterproof)

take it from a veteran, ditch the fukin surefire or tactical light! those fuckers only give 3 to 6 hours of light, and not only will you need more than that, but youll need RED light, so you dont give away your position, you WILL NEVER need that much fucking light, that is so bright...itll only last you 3 hours lol. thats the problem i had in iraq. just buy a maglite or anything that runs on lithium AA or better, and stay away from the tactical lights, plus, you will never find batteries for the fucking thing, even if you took over a walmart, your better off with something that uses
1. uses normal batteries you can find anywhere, or can create an alternate battery souce for
2. red light, or red lense capabilities
3. lasts longer than 12 hours

those tactical flashlights are a fucking joke, this is coming from a marine who had to rely on that shit in iraq, and that shit failed me! we were all issued sure fires, and traded them for booze or drugs, and then stole maglites to use. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid!

or like the picker said, buy a wind up light, BUT, make sure you can either use a permanent marker to color the lense red (works well) or figure something else out. and, make sure you know how long a winding charge lasts, so your not trying to wind while either running for your life, or shooting someone in the head.
<<

whizdumb

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:11 pm

sandman wrote:
I'd love to hear what you think is a good tactical flashlight (preferably waterproof)

take it from a veteran, ditch the fukin surefire or tactical light! those fuckers only give 3 to 6 hours of light, and not only will you need more than that, but youll need RED light, so you dont give away your position, you WILL NEVER need that much fucking light, that is so bright...itll only last you 3 hours lol. thats the problem i had in iraq. just buy a maglite or anything that runs on lithium AA or better, and stay away from the tactical lights, plus, you will never find batteries for the fucking thing, even if you took over a walmart, your better off with something that uses
1. uses normal batteries you can find anywhere, or can create an alternate battery souce for
2. red light, or red lense capabilities
3. lasts longer than 12 hours

those tactical flashlights are a fucking joke, this is coming from a marine who had to rely on that shit in iraq, and that shit failed me! we were all issued sure fires, and traded them for booze or drugs, and then stole maglites to use. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid!

or like the picker said, buy a wind up light, BUT, make sure you can either use a permanent marker to color the lense red (works well) or figure something else out. and, make sure you know how long a winding charge lasts, so your not trying to wind while either running for your life, or shooting someone in the head.

I take it you didn't research the light i recommended..And you can take that from a flashlight guy..
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm

For hands free use, the single best piece of equipment I was ever issued while in the Marine Corps was a Petzl Headlamp. The thing is fucking amazing. It runs on three AAA, lasts forever, has three brightness' and a strobe setting. The lamp also has red and blue sliding lens' so you can go from white, to red to blue on the fly. It is perfect for hands free use, map reading, sorting through your pack and all that. Of course if the U.S. is in the shitter and it's everyone for themselves, then I would carry a different flashlight also for purposes of clearing buildings and such, generally people tend to shoot at the light, and I don't want a light on my forehead if that should ever happen.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

sandman

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:26 pm

ditch the
toothbrush
toothpaste
notebook
glowsticks
spoon/knife/fork

and add in their place

scub/sponge (for scrubing wounds to get them as clean as possible)

rubbing alcohol

garmin gps (just knowing where where your going, does not mean you know where you are)

120pk of anit bacterial w/aloe babywipes (120wipes lasts me 2 weeks in the field, i use about 2 for wiping, and 3 for cleaning my body at night, thats 5-8 a day, thats good for 15 days. your ass will thank me for it later, and at night, wipe your balls and your armpits clean and then air them out, or youll get fungus on them.

at least 6 pairs of thick socks (youll have to change your socks every day, if not more, or youll get blisters or even a foot rot, that will 100% slow you down)

1 pair of shoe cusion inserts (after about a week of walking or running, youll need em, they are cheap and light.)

2 sets of shoe strings (that could fuck you if you dont have them)

timex ironman digital watch $35 (has every function you could need, not bulky, water proof, not mechanical, and doesnt glow in the dark unless you want it to.

weather proof note book and weather proof ink pen

lastly,

put your quetips with your first aid stuff. keep all your hygien with your first aid stuff except the babywipes, keep those at the side or top of your pack or easy access.

keep all your gun cleanning equipment in a seperat smaller bag, that fits inside your main bag.

keep all your navigation equipment in a seperate smaller bag, that fits insider your main bag.

keep all your first aid equipment in a seperate smaller bag, that fits inside your manin bag.

keep all your ammo, inside a seperate smaller bag, that fits inside your main bag

get the picture?

this will keep things organized and seperate from each other, you dont want to have to root around in your bag for 15 min for a damn flash light or for some rubbing alcohol. your main bag should be filled with 5 or 6 smaller bags/pouches, that have a 'genre' of what you may need on the fly.

consider putting these small bags in a large plastic tarp or bag or wrap of some kind, then put that 'bundle in your main pack, so this will keep everything dry i.e. ammo, first aid equipment, garmin, ect.

and make sure you rubbing alcohol is secured and in its own baggy as well, i keep a modified first aid kit (for abraisions and minor cuts and burns) and the fucker leaked all over my shit, ruining my guaze and medical tape and bandages.

dont forget, 8oz of food take something like 32oz of water to digest. so unless you have a ton of water available, food will only dehydrate you even more. if you have little water, ditch the food, it will kill you in the long run. especialy the food bars and energy bars that are full on preservatives, 1 MRE takes 1 gallon of water to digest or youll dehydrate yourself. so cary more water or ditch the food.
buy energy gel tabs and packets instead like the marathon runners use. youll crash on a low calorie diet anyways, might as well have energy for the day.
and travel at night, never the day, youll dehydrate and give away your position alot easier durring the day. at night, you can travel by the stars, and not go blind from looking at the horizon with a sun over it all day. when you sleep during the day, dig a whole or find some cover so your body will keep is water better. and when your traveling, keep your mouth shut, and breath through your nose, you lose a gallon of water a day just by breathing with an open mouth.
dont forget a belt to wear with your pants, cause you will lose weight dramaticaly and you dont want to have to hold up your pants while your on the move all the time.

thats all ive got. oh, buy a hat, keeps the sun off your face and will keep the heat in your body better than that ski mask will on cold nights.
<<

sandman

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 pm

I take it you didn't research the light i recommended..And you can take that from a flashlight guy.

sorry, i got the names mixed up, yes, what you suggested is good to have, but im combat minded and a wind up toy is a bad idea without red light and long lasting charge.
and i would never take advice from a flashlight collector when i can take it from a war veteran or myself. no offense.
<<

whizdumb

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:33 pm

sandman wrote:
I take it you didn't research the light i recommended..And you can take that from a flashlight guy.

sorry, i got the names mixed up, yes, what you suggested is good to have, but im combat minded and a wind up toy is a bad idea without red light and long lasting charge.
and i would never take advice from a flashlight collector when i can take it from a war veteran or myself. no offense.

You still didn't see what I recommended.. I said nothing about a wind-up toy.. This :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUxszAf-JU
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=2504
is what I recommended

I hate to say it, but as a vet I think your view and access to different tactical flashlights was one-sided and skewed a little bit.. Don't get me wrong SUREFIRES SUCK.. But there's a whole nother world and market for consumer oriented tactical flashlights with a whole new take on commonly available power sources.
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Damn, good responses in this thread! Thanks for the input sandman that's appreciated from someone who obviously has first hand experience in these situations... shower me in your infinite wisdom!
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

sandman

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:57 pm

You still didn't see what I recommended.. I said nothing about a wind-up toy.. This :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUxszAf-JU
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=2504
is what I recommended

I hate to say it, but as a vet I think your view and access to different tactical flashlights was one-sided and skewed a little bit.. Don't get me wrong SUREFIRES SUCK.. But there's a whole nother world and market for consumer oriented tactical flashlights with a whole new take on commonly available power sources.

whoops, your absolutely right, i didnt see exactly what you were recommending, that is a mighty fine flashlight. and yes, my experiences in iraq were more than 5 years ago so im sure the availabilities for better quality flashlights exist for the consumer and warrior alike.

but i tend to hold on to hard learned experiences, and am less willing to exersise the use of new tools over proven ones. unless... im going into the field for training, and can afford a screw up whilst having a back up on hand. if that was the case, then yes, i would pack a flashlight suggested by a collector. but... if i was going to war, or in this case, the world was going to shit, then i would most immediately take the advice from someone who has been to war or lived in a world of shit, over the other guy.

like i said... no offense. experience trumps knowledge any day in my book.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

sandman wrote:keep all your gun cleanning equipment in a seperat smaller bag, that fits inside your main bag.

keep all your navigation equipment in a seperate smaller bag, that fits insider your main bag.

keep all your first aid equipment in a seperate smaller bag, that fits inside your manin bag.

keep all your ammo, inside a seperate smaller bag, that fits inside your main bag

Right now my bag breaks down into 3 subcompartments, one is food/eatingsupplies, one is ammo/guncleaning, the other is medical. There is also another smaller MOLLE pouch containing a compass and other small shit.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

whizdumb

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:24 pm

It's all good Sandman.. I'll recap.. Basically Xeo asked if we had any idea for additions to his bag. I suggested that Quark AA^2 because its around the same size and weight as his mini mag and it would be great to replace it with that. Plus he already carries plenty of AA batteries so it really just fits into his bag. It'll definately blow away a big old honking mag-lite and the batteries on C or D sized maglites may have a lot of life to them, but they are big and heavy. So I just suggested that he upgrade a small tool to something a little better and more tactically oriented for his BOB bag.. Eitherway he goes, It's gunna be better then what he's got. You're a good guy sandman and don't worry we all have our own assholes.. I mean opinions..LOL

Happy Apocalypse,
Whizdumb

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Bag is tweaked based on recommendations and advice from various members here.

Thanks all who suggested things!

I've removed some items and was able to significantly reduce the weight. The biggest weight loss came from reducing 12 drinking water packets and the packaging/boxes my ammo is in. I've purchased a bunch of lightweight waterproof COLORED bags which helps organize and visually aid in grabbing the right stuff... and the biggest thing is... i have plenty of extra space now in the bag which is never a bad thing. I'll post a revised list of contents when I get around to it.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:39 am

OK, I take it that this is all about having to leave your own house in a hurry?

Well take it from someone that has to leave their own house at least once a year on average in an "Emergency situation" due to fire or flooding or whatever else gets throws at us.

Your not going to have time to load the car, fill it with fuel and supplies, go and pick the kids up from school,
ring mum and dad and the other relations to find out what their doing and if their safe. All your going to get if your lucky is a knock on the door and told that your going to have to leave right NOW if you want to make it out.

This is what we do:

We put our hard drive, personal papers and dog in the car, lock the house and go to the school to pick up the boys(if their not already home) and head out the safest way possible.
There are going to be a lot of other people in the same situation and it's not going to be easy to get out of there. BUT, There will be people to help you. There will be evacuation procedures in place that your local authorities will initiate in these times to help get you out and keep you safe. You wont have much of a choice in most instances but to follow their procedures because everything is will be cut off, you will have very limited choices.

You'll find that you will not need alot of the stuff mentioned in this thread unless it's due to a world altering event,
and personally, i refuse to plan for "DOOMSDAY" because no matter how good the plan, eventually your as good as fucked anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to Survival