FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Back to our roots skills

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

Msixty

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Back to our roots skills

Or as it's more commonly known, Bushcraft. There is a ton of new interest in survival nowadays, I guess it's "hip", but from what I can tell it's mostly based around gear. IMO relying on gear gets people borked, so I thought I'd try and stir up some interest in learning skills to back up our BOB's and pelican cases full of guns. (I mean, when the zombies come, those matches and magazines will go quick :razz: )

For those of us that have not heard of it before, Bushcraft is a kind of conglomerate of skills and techniques used in the wilderness to get along comfortably until you decide or are able to leave. It's all very boyscout-esque and is really fun. A big part of bushcraft is "knowledge weighs nothing" and with just a knife you should be able to get along just fine. It is NOT bear grills climbing up sheer cliffs and rappelling with vines, but it is a solid skill base to develop and could save your life, or just make camping a lot more involved and fun.

I don't know about slapping direct links to other forums up but if you use google you should easily find your way to tons more info.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Back to our roots skills

Nemo Malus Felix
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 09, 2012 5:40 pm

I don't know how elbow and MBI run it but HC didn't care about links to sites on survival stuff. My guess is as long as it does not detract from this site or advertise something that would detract it's okay. I've seen links to threads on that other lock picking site with no issues. As far as that goes...

I frequent two sites:

survivalistboards.com and preparedham.com the 2nd being a ham radio and preparedness site, very usefull info on both of them and links to documents videos tutorials and much more, very friendly crowds on both of them.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 pm

That magnifying glass made of ice is pretty sweet :P
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu May 10, 2012 1:02 am

This guy has some very good videos on YouTube. I think members will find his page extremely helpful.

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 am

WolfSpring wrote:I don't know how elbow and MBI run it but HC didn't care about links to sites on survival stuff. My guess is as long as it does not detract from this site or advertise something that would detract it's okay. I've seen links to threads on that other lock picking site with no issues. As far as that goes...

I frequent two sites:

survivalistboards.com and preparedham.com the 2nd being a ham radio and preparedness site, very usefull info on both of them and links to documents videos tutorials and much more, very friendly crowds on both of them.

Yeah links are just fine. All we ask when referencing other sites or other's work is that you respect their copyright so we can stay out of hot water.

I like survivalistboards. I think it's one of the best forums of it's type out there. Probably my only real complaint there is how they push their paid VIP section. I was in the middle of reading an excellent thread that was dozens and dozens of pages long, over the course of several days, when all of a sudden I can't access it anymore and it appears to have been moved into the paid section despite the fact the thread had been up for many months in the open area. But, I guess the bills gotta be paid somehow. In any case, it's a huge site with tons of excellent information.

And Msixty, you're right. Surviving is more about skills than gear.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm

I use it a lot for the resources but your right on the elitist pay section, also the two opposite ends of the spectrum there get to me. The moron that you can explain it to him and he will argue or not get it such as how a ham radio will reach further than a CB no matter what yet he wants to argue this one time 5 years ago he reached Florida from California with a CB that is stock with no amplifier. Or you get that guy that no matter what you say he will oppose you like the fact I am a fan of Gerber knives yet this guy will swear if it's not a $200 cold steal or benchmade knife it's not worth your time. Hell I've got a $1 wallmart special that is the worlds greatest knife in a backpack when compared to a having absolutely nothing lol. It's like another site you will get out of it what you research and take in. But it is definitely a great resource to have.

<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Well, to be fair, Gerbers hardware does kinda suck in my experience. :P

The blades are great, but I've had three now where the handles just fell apart. I carry a knife everywhere, everyday so I'm kind of hard on them though. My best experience is with Schrade so far. A rubber insert fell off and had to be superglued back on, but I've had this current one for almost three years now. Most knives don't last a year with me.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Kumorigoe

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 10, 2012 3:43 pm

The Marine Corps teaches everybody rudimentary survival skills. We know how to move through the wilderness, navigate, find water, that kind of thing.

And yes, a blade is your best friend. I have carried a knife everywhere I'm able to for twenty years now. I feel naked without one. I really like folders for everyday carry. Kershaw is probably my favorite, thanks to the assisted-opening. If I knew I was going to be out in the bush for a while, I'd probably take a KA-BAR, or something from Cold Steel. A hatchet too.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 10, 2012 5:17 pm

My EDC for that is a Gerber multi tool, gerber folder and a benchmade auto knife 9-5 m-f and an old swiss army knife folder after duty hours and on the weekend all depends on what I'm doing. My new fav is a SOG Seal pup that i've turned the sheath into a kit with firestarter flashlight and 150 FT of 550 cord. As far as "root skills" the army also teaches these skills but my job field does not practice them. it's one thing to be taught or learn and another to use and live by. I grew up with these skills so they still stick today. I try to get out and practice them every other weekend with the wife and kids to teach them. I turned the wife into a fire bug she can start a fire with magnifying glass, flint and steal and matches(believe it or not this is a hard skill that many cannot do right now if there life depended on it) I mean anyone can get a flame on something but to turn it into a full blown fire that's a whole nother thing. Anyway I think that with video games and all these new gadgets so many people could not survive if dropped on an island with only a knife and it is the most important tool in the survival world.

Return to Survival