FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

So, no one is really interested in surviving in various...

Forum rules
SURVIVE!
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:00 pm

So, no one is really interested in surviving in various...

environments and situations? Pretty quiet in here. Crickets are chirping.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law of Prediction
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: So, no one is really interested in surviving in various.

Eight views in four minutes and no replies! :mrgreen:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law of Prediction
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:08 pm

I suspect most people who are REALLY into this stuff, keep a lot of it under their hats. Who knows.

But, if you have something to add on the subject, or a question to ask, why not start a thread?

I like the subject, I've just never been much of a thread-starter on forums. I just usually reply to other people's threads if I have an opinion.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm

I was going to reply to this but my cat decided to driveby my desk and knock things over.

I'm into survival... I'm more interested in urban discreet survival than the outdoors. I like small compact tactical gear, EDH gear and bug-out-bags.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Used to do a bit of SERE related things. Any particular questions?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:32 pm

this is not a thing here, I never heard about anyone who is into this wurvival things an keeps survival stacks or anything.
though many old peopkle who have survived the 2nd word war or teh hard comminusm of the 50's tend to stack up on food. I guss those times are sucah psychological scar to people which stays with them until they die.

But what would interest me is what kind of survival gear would you put if you had a limited budget and had to put together 1 medium backpack of stuffs.
You know as a basic essential stuff for 1 person for "notmal wather" (eg supposing ther is not extreme cold or extreme heat)
I did not really thin about it but I woudl put ion a good knife, water filter, some water, essential medicines liek antibiotics and pain killers, disinfectants, can opener and some food. A few picks an tensio ntoosl as well ;)
I know probably noob packet, but keep in mind that this is not sth which people think abotu here. :)

anyway I would be itnerested what a more thought trhough packet looks like. I guess in the US it includes weapons but that is put here in Europe :)
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:52 pm

XEO - The cat obviously wants more PIE. :mrgreen:

My interests are based on what I might encounter in North America. I'm never going to find myself kidnapped in El Salvador, but I have written various things for guys that teach people to survive just such incidents. I have a very light interest in jungle survival because our swamplands have some similar characteristics. Same with a slight interest in desert survival, because we have deserts here...although I might not ever visit one.

Primarily, I am interested in woodlands and mountainous survival in all seasons and anyone that lives in Lethalis Urbana or Psycho-Suburbia should be interested in the every day things you have to survive there...and some more stuff.

I do think you are right, MBI, a lot of people keep it under their hats. Then there are the extroverts who show the whole world all of the stuff they own and then chastise others on forums for "violations of OPSEC." As if they even understood the concept. ;)
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:54 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Used to do a bit of SERE related things. Any particular questions?

Gordon

Gordon,

What exactly does that mean? :)

I know what SERE is.

Don
<<

Josephus

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:09 pm

[shrug]

I go backpacking for fun. Wilderness survival is synonymous with my vacations. I am likely leaving for a romp around some scrub pines and sand dunes by Monday. What is it you want to talk about?

Short answers to common questions:

Saw is better than hatchet. Hatchet is more fun. Kukri is junk in woodlands, even worse is a machete.
Iodine sucks, UV doesn't kill big things like tapeworm eggs. Use a filter, a cheap one can handle 500 liters before replacing.
Rope is the original multitool. Learn how to use it.
Tarps are great as long as you don't mind being bug food.
Hammocks are comfy but are situational.
'Living off the land' as an individual has never, ever been a thing.
Wild edibles do taste good, even nettles. No, you blanch them and get the hairs off first.
Wild medicinal plants are the same stuff as OTC medicine, just in much weaker (usually) dosages.
Fixed blade is better, bigger is not necessary. Chopping is for fools.
Pointy knives are more likely to get you into trouble.
Gauze and tape, antiseptic, more gauze and tape.
Bears are rarely a problem, foxes and raccoons are always a problem.
Wool is best, even in summer.
Better to dry fast than to be water resistant.
You will not need a fancy flashlight.
Saltwater taffy is the ultimate trade good.
No, it isn't comfy or easy. That is what keeps the idiots out.
The food is bad, but is more delicious than anything you eat anywhere else.
Bring more food.
Bigger fires mean more work and less lounge time.
GPS isn't fun or reliable.
MOOSE!!! GET BEHIND A TREE!!!
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Josephus wrote:[shrug]

Why shrug and then post a bunch of stuff? Doesn't make much sense to pre-discard your own ideas.

I go backpacking for fun. Wilderness survival is synonymous with my vacations. I am likely leaving for a romp around some scrub pines and sand dunes by Monday. What is it you want to talk about?

The idea was to stir conversation so a lot of people start making this an active sub-forum so something gets going. I wasn't approaching it as a neophyte. ;)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 pm

DR2 wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Used to do a bit of SERE related things. Any particular questions?

Gordon

Gordon,

What exactly does that mean? :)

I know what SERE is.

Don

Had a step-father who taught me a fair bit from his time in the military. Then the SOB made sure I had been paying attention, the hard way. I may have learned, but I did not enjoy his teaching methods. (Even if they did work.). I can probably answer 'technical' questions, but I won't volunteer much else.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Gordon,

Well my friend, that's a hell of a nightcrawler you have on that Eagle Claw.

Don
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Because I can see the current Capitalist ethos will eventually bankrupt Governments as well as the people which will result in a depression which will make 1926, or was it 29, look like kindergarten, here's my two bobs worth.

Antibiotics...Make your own Ionic Silver generator, preferably solar powered (which I haven't done yet) and you won't need mainstream antibiotics and you won't need water sterilisers, besides which where would one go to replenish the supply of antibiotics and filters etc for that water steriliser, or the power to run it?

After re-reading the above, that would apply to most everything, how long can one sit it out in the scrub without replenishing *anything* brought with them from mainstream?

I recall the nuclear threat of the 60's whereby people were building concrete bunkers etc etc. Radiation has a half life of 99 years or something, so how long can one remain underground with a handful of necessities? How on earth can one breath fresh air if the ground and the air around us is toxic or polluted? How long can one play cribbage or poker or twiddle their thumbs in a dugout for?

Survival is one thing, but the continuance of the human species needs more than a knife, an axe and a couple of months supply of whatever one stocks up on. That to me is not a sustainable option. There has to be found a better way.

The only way to survive as a species in the 21st Century and beyond is to band together and take back the power from Governments and the Corporation and its shareholders. Don't lose sight of the bigger picture when one is camped out in the scrub - what about kids? education? medical? optical? dental? maternity? clothing? and that list could go on. Civilization will rapidly regress back to the Neanderthal period where we are dressed in animal skins, go around beating women over the head with a club, rape, pillage, plunder, murder, stealing from our fellow man, territorial fighting, infighting to see who is top dog or who is running the show etc etc. Hmmm, now I think on it, nothing has really changed in the scheme of things has it <g>. The only thing that MAY change is, it will become a common everyday occurrence perpetuated by most everyone to survive - the survival of a species, albeit in vastly reduced numbers - classic Darwinism.

The populous needs a better answer than hightailing it out to the bush - or is that the 'Preppers' purpose, help him/her self and be danged with anyone or anything else?

It's gunna take more than an axe, a knife, and a carton or three of consumables each solitary 'prepper', or a small group of 'preppers', take with him/her/them into the scrub to fight the military and the establishment should that time come. And I omitted to include those who think nothing exists outside of mainstream or the establishment cos they are permanently damaged by brainwashing and are won't survive anyway.

For a species to survive, prosper, progress and not regress, people had better put their thinking caps on cos we are going down the sewer rather rapidly. With all this GMO'd stuff, how long will it be before one is unable to grow anything from seed? You can't self sow today like you could decades ago cos now the seeds from the produce is self terminating. They are even manufacturing meat in a test tube for heavens sake.

P.S. I'm by no means knocking those who support the survival thing, just trying to rationalise a far bigger picture. I can see how man is in self destruct mode but am unable to come up with an adequate solution or ideal which would be successful and sustainable.
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm

AULockpicker wrote:Because I can see the current Capitalist ethos will eventually bankrupt Governments as well as the people which will result in a depression which will make 1926, or was it 29, look like kindergarten, here's my two bobs worth.

The current flavor of capitalism we have here in the U.S., don't know about Australia, has come to be known as "Crony Capitalism." It's not real capitalism at all. It's just using the power of government to screw your competition. Or a tenant. Or whomever you can.

We have Great Depression Era levels of unemployment here in the U.S. right now and anyone that is honest and knows anything about history already knows this. The U.S. Government doesn't consider you unemployed unless you are collecting unemployment insurance. So, they are able to now count the unemployed differently and make it appear the problems we face are not quite so dire. Without the welfare safety net we have in this country right now, you would have witnessed the return of "Soup Lines" and other things of the past.

Antibiotics...Make your own Ionic Silver generator, preferably solar powered (which I haven't done yet) and you won't need mainstream antibiotics and you won't need water sterilisers, besides which where would one go to replenish the supply of antibiotics and filters etc for that water steriliser, or the power to run it?

And, you get the added benefit of not having to rent or make a costume for Halloween! If you take enough "Colloidal Silver," you can go as a Smurf!

I think at this point, using that substance on any sort of regular basis is tap dancing in a minefield. There is apparently a history of this ailment from using this form of Silver as an antibiotic substance.

None of my comments should be taken as being negative about using Silverdine Bandages, etc. But using it as you suggest, to me, is a non-starter. Besides, I really don't think Colloidal Silver is going to trump other compounds if you really get a bad infection, etc.

As far as water is concerned, if all else fails, boiling it after filtering out any sediment, always works with zero side effects whatsoever.

I recall the nuclear threat of the 60's whereby people were building concrete bunkers etc etc. Radiation has a half life of 99 years or something, so how long can one remain underground with a handful of necessities? How on earth can one breath fresh air if the ground and the air around us is toxic or polluted? How long can one play cribbage or poker or twiddle their thumbs in a dugout for?

There are a lot of other situations other than all-out nuclear war on a massive level to concern yourself with.

It's gunna take more than an axe, a knife, and a carton or three of consumables each solitary 'prepper', or a small group of 'preppers', take with him/her/them into the scrub to fight the military and the establishment should that time come. And I omitted to include those who think nothing exists outside of mainstream or the establishment cos they are permanently damaged by brainwashing and are won't survive anyway.

P.S. I'm by no means knocking those who support the survival thing, just trying to rationalise a far bigger picture. I can see how man is in self destruct mode but am unable to come up with an adequate solution or ideal which would be successful and sustainable.

Sometimes, it just comes down to you, your family and friends and you do the best you can for as long as you can. That's the immediate goal.
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:48 pm

DR2 snipped quote, "I think at this point, using that substance on any sort of regular basis is tap dancing in a minefield. There is apparently a history of this ailment from using this form of Silver as an antibiotic substance."

Not going to prolong this one because I know what a hotbed this topic is, but I also know the basic lies and untruths which have been, and still are, perpetuated by the establishment. A lot more research is involved to understand that that clip is media propaganda. With a little study it becomes clear and apparent that apples are being compared to oranges.

I am prepared to discuss the ingestion and use of the silver product in the form I'm referring to with anyone and at anytime so they can be made aware of the lies which are being perpetually regurgitated by the establishment, but not here of course.

And you would be right, quote..."Sometimes, it just comes down to you, your family and friends and you do the best you can for as long as you can. That's the immediate goal." end quote.
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
Next

Return to Survival