FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yale Tubular Emergency Key(?)

<<

railtech

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Yale Tubular Emergency Key(?)

I wasn't sure if I should put this in "bypassing" or "kool keys" or "tools" or somewhere else...

But I was hoping someone could tell me what this is used for or/and how it works. I don't understand how this would help you defeat a tubular lock.

Thoughts/ideas/comments?

Thanks
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Yale Tubular Emergency Key(?)

Slid down the side of the lock housing like a shim? Can't see any other way they'd open a tubular lock (and I don't see how the shimming thing would work really either).
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Back in the day (long before the invention of what you now call a tubular lock) there was a warded door lock, called "tubular" for its long tubular barrel, which contained the wards. This key was developed for the locksmith to gain quick entry by bypassing the wards in the lock. These locks were found mainly on multi-housing vestibule doors.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

railtech

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 am

magician59 wrote:Back in the day (long before the invention of what you now call a tubular lock) there was a warded door lock, called "tubular" for its long tubular barrel, which contained the wards. This key was developed for the locksmith to gain quick entry by bypassing the wards in the lock. These locks were found mainly on multi-housing vestibule doors.

Cool.

Any pics of this type of lock?
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 am

When I first saw the pic, and "emergency key" I thought it might be a variant on the bathroom "emergency" keys to get in a bathroom or other room with a privacy lock. Like if a child locks themselves in and can't get out. Most of these "keys" are either a straight piece of wire that pushes a lever to unlock it, or a screwdriver like tool to turn a release screw in the knob.

Return to Kool Keys