FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Medeco cutaway

<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Medeco cutaway

Medeco cutaway. I prefer the style of one big cut per two pins because I think it offers more visibility. Only problem is, I don't have a key for it! Medeco locks without keys are much cheaper.

All measurements were eyeballed (because I don't know where things are until after I've cut one open!) and the cuts don't all quite line up. For the next one I'll probably actually measure it out. And get one with a key. Also I might extend the cuts all the way through to the bottom so you can see the bottom of the sidebar, and maybe even the pins riding on the key. I think it'll still hold together.

Here's a little widget that slips into the tail so that the inner cylinder can be oriented perfectly horizontal. It doesn't offer structural support; the cylinder is held in place by the vice. But it holds it in the right orientation as the cylinder is placed into the vice.

As for the outer cylinder, I put a couple parallels under the bible in an attempt to make it level. I'd love to hear of any other technique for that.
<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Re: Medeco cutaway

Post a picture of the keyway, assuming it's original/biaxial, and I'll see if I can match it to an aftermarket blank. I'm pretty good at that, and have had great luck finding blanks for cylinders I've picked up on ebay.
<<

dontlook

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 am

This look awesome. Keep it up!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:36 am

Very nice. I also have a small supply of blanks and precuts if you post a picture of your keyway.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Actually I do have two blanks. I suppose I could file them into a key if I can muster the patience.
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Finally found time to make a properly measured one. Filed a key by hand, which actually only took about an hour.

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:08 pm

That's a great cutaway, entropy. Great work!
Howdy!
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 pm

That's gorgeous mate, it really is. You may have said upthread somewhere, but what equipment did you use to do the job?
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:02 pm

MHM: somehow it took four years for me to see your reply. Tools were the Little Machine Shop HiTorque Mini Mill, digital calipers, files (for deburring), sandpaper. I really wish I could make a few more of these now that I have the technique worked out. Problem is it's really hard to find a sizable number of identical Medico cylinders on ebay for decent prices. I had a few of these ones, but I destroyed them while working out the technique. And now the ones I can find are all different models.

Return to Cut-aways