FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset SC1 Keyway Rekey and Reset

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:08 pm

Kwikset SC1 Keyway Rekey and Reset

Just got a core today that has been hard to find today. It is a replacement cylinder for a Kwikset Smartkey, but this one has the SC1 keyway.

Note that the rekey tool hole is on the opposite side of the keyway than with the KW1 keyway SmartKey cores:

The original KW1 SmartKey rekey tool would work, though the tools came with this one:

However, this core uses completely different tools to reset the core if the working key is lost. No reset cradle is made for this lock. The Better Resetter tool DOES work with this core, but you must use the Kwikset SmartKey side. It is a little fiddly, but it does work.

Here are the tools made by Kwikset for this core:

To rekey the lock, put the key fully into the lock. It is NOT necessary to remove the core from the housing to do this.

Turn the key counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) 90 degrees, putting the rekey hole at the top.

Insert the rekey tool, and push it firmly in all the way.

Remove the reset tool, then remove the key by pulling it out without turning it.

Insert the new key.

Turn it clockwise and remove it when it is in the removal position.

The core is now rekeyed.

Now, how to reset the core if the original key is lost or is no longer working. First, remove the core from the lock. Turn it upside down (with the “pins” at the bottom of the keyway and the rekey hole to the left of the keyway.

If you look at the bottom of the cylinder, it will look like this:

You will need an SC1 Blank. The reset kit comes with a Kwikset SC1, but any SC1 blank will work.

Insert the blank fully. Be sure it is fully inserted.

This is your new friend, the SC1 SmartKey Reset Tool.

With the key blank inserted, place the reset tool on the core with the prongs on the left side, in the holes.

Hold the reset tool firmly on the core while you remove the key blank.

While holding the core and tool together, rotate the tool to the right on the core until it stops.

Remove the tool.

If you look at the front of the plug, you will notice that the keyway reset is off center.

Turn the plug in the housing until the change key hole is at the bottom of the housing (which is currently at the top of the picture due to how the tool is used).

If you look closely at the keyway to cylinder orientation, the keyway lines up with the flats on the sides of the core.

Now do the rekey procedure as above. Put the rekey tool in the hole.

Push it fully and firmly in all the way.

Before and after shots of the gaps at the bottom of the core when the rekey tool is used:

Before:

After:

Now put in the key fully and turn it to the removal position.

And the core with the lost or non-working key is now working!

Hope this helps some people out.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:47 am

Re: Kwikset SC1 Keyway Rekey and Reset

I Always enjoy your post and photos. Have your tried picking(and or decoding) it using the lishi tools? Do you think it possible to modify the kwikset smartlock decoder by lok-tech to decode this schlage version?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:03 am

I have not tried the Lishi on this lock. Should do so when I have time and remember. It is the only residential Lishi I have.

As for the Smartkey Decoder by Lok-Tech, would have to first modify a SC1 blank and somehow put a mirror finish on the angle cut for the mirror. Keep in mind that if you do try to make a SC1 version that the mechanism to be viewed would be on the opposite side from the KW1. And you might have a problem with Lok-Tech's lawyers, though I don't think they would have a legal case if you are only modifying it for yourself. Caution - I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If you use the spacers, you would need to make new ones for SC1, as the tip to first cut and spacing between cuts are different than for a KW1.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:09 pm

GUT SHOTS!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:45 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:GUT SHOTS!

What are gut shots???

:D

Gordon

Return to Locks Du Jour