FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Share your routine

<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Share your routine

More often than not, I have to use my Phillips Norelco, but that's because I usually have trouble getting up on time. The shave is pretty weak and it grows back by the next day. It usually takes me 10 minutes for any growth that is less than a week old. When I use my Norelco, I have to shave in circles and scrub against the grain if I want it to feel like I've really done a good job. This usually leaves me feeling razor-burnt around my neck.

When I have time I use a two track razor. My routine is that I soak my face for two minutes in hot water or a hot towel. I then use lotion as my shaving cream. That's right: lotion. I buy it in a bulk container and it sits in my bathroom for guests to get freaked out by. A friend I met in Florida put me onto the idea and I thought he was crazy until I tried it, I've used it ever since and have favored it over soap and brush or any other foam-in-a-can. The cool thing about using lotion is you never have that nasty razorburnt feeling, even when you shave against the grain. I've used preshave oils and all the stuff you can find from artofshaving, but this still works best for me and it's way cheaper. Using lotion, you also don't need to use any aftershave, which makes this routine even cheaper. If you try this make sure it is unscented lotion or it can burn your skin. When my skin needs it, I use aloe vera gel as an optional aftershave and this does wonders at preventing my skin from breaking out when I am around machine oil and welding smoke all day long. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it is 100% aloe vera and nothing else.

I carry my straight razor with me in my backpack for when I don't even have time to grab my Norelco. This might seem strange, like I should keep the straight razor at home and carry the two-track razor around, but I do so because the two track razor retains moisture and gunk in between the blades. I don't want to have to worry about mildew or whatever, so I carry the straight razor because it dries very easily in comparison. I have a loop of fishing line attached to it that I put my hand through so that if the razor slips in my hand it won't fall and ruin the blade.

Anyway, that's my routine, what works for you?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Re: Share your routine

I shave after I get out of the shower. Lather up with a soap/cream and a brush and shave with a double edge. My current favorite is a 1967 Gillette Slim razor with Astra Superior Platinum blades. Then I use an alcohol free aftershave balm since I have dry skin.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:05 am

I shave before my shower, Single Blade Bic Disposable razor anything else and I get bad razor burn (than and only shaving once a week helps)
then shower and wash my face with Burts Bees Face wash .
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:19 am

I hate shaving...lol...but I do it after my shower with a Gillette Fusion and Barbasol shaving cream...I can't use an electric.
Before my barber retires, I will have a REAL shave.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:10 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Before my barber retires, I will have a REAL shave.

oh man i do this at least one a month unless i have something formal to attend, well worth the money. just make sure the barber has steady hands hehe
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm

I shave in the shower. I only shave my neck to maintain my beard line. I moisten my neck with hot water to open skin pores and relax things, then I apply Coconut Milk Conditioner (hair conditioner) then shave using a Gillette Fusion then immediately rinse my shaved skin with hot water. Zero razor burn if done correctly with light pressure, very very rarely any ingrown hairs.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Hmmm conditioner sound like a great idea. Ill have to try it.

Gents before you say you hate shaving, be happy you have hair to shave. I only grow an incomplete stash and a goatish chin thing that I dont know what to call. In other words I look like Im just one foot into puberty when I dont shave for 2 weeks lol. I would love some facial hair as there are so many styles so choose from (go-tee, full beard, line cuts, outline cuts, etc etc). The only part I do like about my hairless face is that I shave once every week or two. :)
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:08 pm

I decided about 6 months ago that I was done trimming my mustache and opted for a handlebar style. As a reward or punishment, now every morning I need to wax the stache, otherwise it just looks like it hasn't been trimmed in 6 months
Far as shaving the rest off I use the Schick quattro, 4-bladed razor, which even when completely dull, is still sharper than the old single blade I used to carve my face up with.
Kudos to Ya youluckyfox, I chose the straight razor as my first blade back when I was 13 and my Dad kept insisting that I shave that crap off my lip. He actually referred to my mustache as Rabbit Sh*t, the sob. At that age, my mustache looked much like a latino stache, it was pretty short
on the furry part and I was actually called some insulting mexican names, as a teenager, due to my sparsely furred stache. I recall my first use of the straight razor, I must have cut my face at least 85 times. The cuts were soo
clean however that simply pushing them back together allowed me to continue using the same old face for all these years! Did You ever give a Braun electric razor a try? Mine works great on my ears
Last edited by jones on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Nice story, Jones. I can grow out a decent growth, but there's one spot under my chin that doesn't grow as fast, so I usually just let it grow out until the patch becomes apparent and then start clean. I've never had it grow out more than a week or so. Haven't tried a Braun razor before, just the three-headed Norelco kind. I looked at a Braun model that could be used while wet, but I ultimately didn't buy it.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:45 pm

I actually used a Braun electric since 2006 or 2007. Then back in October I think, Elbow got me hooked on using a double edge and I havent used the electric since. Carts gave me godawful razorburn and ingrowns so I switched to the electric. The first blade dulls then pulls the hair out and the following blades cut it below skin level. That doesn't happen with a single blade.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:11 am

Xeo you actually do the same thing I do!

Edited for brevity.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

pmaxey83

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 pm

I use a dime size amount of dime size amount of C.O. Bigelow Eucalyptus on a cheap Escali badger hair brush and build a quick lather on my face(using cold water no less). Then use a cheap Weishi DE safety razor, and go with the grain, lather and then against the grain. I've found using cold water leaves my face just as smooth after a shave, but without making the skin so tender and porous. Plus if you suffer dry skin, it tends to leave your face much less dry and raggedy. Then I finish with good ole' Old Spice, or better yet, Royal Copenhagen.
jeffmoss26: pardon my ignorance to the real world, but what started all this mess in B'more
jeffmoss26: it's bad enough that city has the Ravens

(14:36:27) MBI: I was here for 2 seconds once.
(14:36:27) MBI: kthxbai
<<

Altashot

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Electric, 3 rotating heads on dry skin, in circles. Finish with a splash of aftershave. Takes about 5 minutes, 2 to 4 times a week.

Any other razor leaves my face too raw and I get pimples on my neck which bleed on the next shave.

M.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:02 am

As many of you may guess, I use disposable Gillette blue 2 blades, 2 or 3 times a week. I usually squeeze shaving soap directly from the tube to my face and apply it with my fingers instead of using a brush and a cup.
After that a nice after shave conditioner is needed to reduce my skin irritation.

Cheers :)
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:29 pm

@Femurat/Riyame:
I am definitely in favor of a single blade or two track razor. I have not purchased a double edge razor, yet, but plan to. Interesting video on single-blade razors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufG1dPmVo8Q
Next

Return to That was a close shave