FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Colt Straight Razor (NIB)

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 am

Colt Straight Razor (NIB)

Came across this Colt straight razor while browsing ebay:Image

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Colt-Titanium-Se ... 1589537785

Nice Titanium blade! Looks like a nice daily use razor for those brave souls willing to drag an extremely sharp blade across their jugulars LOL.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Colt Straight Razor (NIB)

At first your post really caught my eye.
I wondered what they meant by a titanium blade since titanium won't hold a razor edge so I Googled the model number. Turns out it's 440 stainless with some kind of titanium coating.

While searching I also found an Amazon review that wasn't very good. Only one review on the item though, would have preferred a few reviews to read for more information.

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-CT648-Colt-Ti ... B00KF2FVLG

A couple decades ago S&W started an unfortunate trend where they've been willing to accept royalties to have their logo thrown on some mediocre gear, and some stuff that's downright atrocious. Perhaps Colt is heading down the same road. That would be unfortunate if it's the case. There was once a day where both of those name were synonymous with quality merchandise.

Still tempted to get one though. I'm such a whore.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:52 pm

I didn't know that Titanium wouldn't hold an edge, interesting. Also I would have to agree about the S&W as I have several of their knives and they are mediocre but acceptable for the price. I also have an HK branded knife I would put in the same category. Seems the gun manufacturers are whoring their brand to Chinese knife makers who are then wholesaling to US distributors. Can't complain I guess as I bought mine through Alibaba and ebay so basically wholesaler prices or 25% of retail.

I'm tempted to start buying bulk and selling to the flea market and pawn shop crowd as I figure I could double my money on them. They make good presents also.

If you pick one of those straight razors let us know what you think of it as all mine are antiques and not suitable for daily use.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Doogs wrote:I didn't know that Titanium wouldn't hold an edge, interesting. Also I would have to agree about the S&W as I have several of their knives and they are mediocre but acceptable for the price. I also have an HK branded knife I would put in the same category.

If you pick one of those straight razors let us know what you think of it as all mine are antiques and not suitable for daily use.

When I said titanium won't hold an edge, I'm probably not being 100% accurate with my terminology. I'm sure a metallurgist would cringe at the simplistic description and give a lengthy lecture about the molecular structure of titanium and how it pertains to edge holding ability... and so on. I just don't have that info in my brain and I'm too lazy to Google it.

I have a Benchmade with a titanium blade. Since it's not handy right here I can't tell you the exact model number, but it's a variant of the different versions of they CQC-7 folders that they made. I've been meaning to take pictures of it to add to my forum thread of my knives. It's been so many years that I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to recall that according to the literature the edge itself is carbide or something like that in order to allow it to hold a proper edge. I don't know exactly how the carbide is adhered to the titanium.

Since it was a significant amount of pocket change to buy it, before diving in I asked the rep about it when I ran into him and he gave me some speal about how the factory would resharpen it if ever needed, but that as long as I treated more or less like a ceramic knife: no cutting against a glass cutting board or anything like that, don't do anything that might chip the edge and whatnot, I could probably go my lifetime of cutting rope, slashing and stabbing people, opening boxes or whatever and it would probably never need sharpening. Lofty claim, but I've never used the knife so I can't testify. I got my hands on a nice acrylic Benchmade factory display that holds three knives and for years I had it along with two other CQC-7 variants on it, displayed in my living room. About the only action it's seen is periodically being cleaned with a horsehair vacuum attachment to remove dust.

As for HK knives, it's sad to hear they're going down the same road. I have one HK knife, or more accurately, my daughter does. I quite like it. I'd say it's nearly as nice as a Benchmade. I haven't messed around with any other HK knives. Maybe I should just stay away so I can keep my rosy opinion of them.

All spare funds at the moment are going towards Christmas for my wife and kids. If those Colt razors are still a decent price a few months down the road I'll probably break down and buy one for myself at that time.
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Tactical?!

I would consider buying the razor if it had a rail to mount some hardware.

Return to That was a close shave