FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to Make a Lock Bump Proof?

<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Re: How to Make a Lock Bump Proof?

I just hit on a way to make a lock much harder to pick or bump open--Simply break a key off inside it!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:45 am

A trick from back in my 'apartment days', I used to get a couple copies of the key, and cut most of the top end away except for a backward-angled cut at the tip slightly forward of the second-to-last pin. The amount I would cut away is only slightly lower than the bottom of the pins. The second key I cut away exactly the opposite. Together, they make a perfect key. (The back cut of the first key and the tip angle of the second key need to match the angle of the tip of the original key, so the second part can lift the pins normally.

Put both parts of the key together and put them into the lock. The key sections will function normally. Remove just the 'top key'. There is now no space to stick in any picks, so you would first have to remove the lower section of the key in order to pick the lock. Also, a normal key will not fit in the lock until the lower section has been removed.

When you need to remove the lower section, simply put in the top part of the key and pull out the bottom section, using the lower part to pull out the upper part at the same time. Was able to honestly tell the landlord that the lock had not been modified. And since this place never did rekey between renters, it kept my stuff safer. I told the landlord that if they wanted in my apartment, the lease requires that they give me 24 hours notice, in which case I would either (preferably) would be there in person, or alternately, have the lower section removed within that time. If it was an emergency (which does not include 'wanting in on a whim'), get a locksmith, who would get that lower section out in seconds, and I'd foot the bill.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Nice trick Gordon. I'll have to remember that one.
Steve
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:24 am

GWiens2001 wrote:A trick from back in my 'apartment days', I used to get a couple copies of the key, and cut most of the top end away except for a backward-angled cut at the tip slightly forward of the second-to-last pin. The amount I would cut away is only slightly lower than the bottom of the pins. The second key I cut away exactly the opposite. Together, they make a perfect key. (The back cut of the first key and the tip angle of the second key need to match the angle of the tip of the original key, so the second part can lift the pins normally.

Put both parts of the key together and put them into the lock. The key sections will function normally. Remove just the 'top key'. There is now no space to stick in any picks, so you would first have to remove the lower section of the key in order to pick the lock. Also, a normal key will not fit in the lock until the lower section has been removed.

When you need to remove the lower section, simply put in the top part of the key and pull out the bottom section, using the lower part to pull out the upper part at the same time. Was able to honestly tell the landlord that the lock had not been modified. And since this place never did rekey between renters, it kept my stuff safer. I told the landlord that if they wanted in my apartment, the lease requires that they give me 24 hours notice, in which case I would either (preferably) would be there in person, or alternately, have the lower section removed within that time. If it was an emergency (which does not include 'wanting in on a whim'), get a locksmith, who would get that lower section out in seconds, and I'd foot the bill.

Gordon

Actually to save time Schlage makes a special key much as you describe
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 am

Gordon, any chance you have some pictures? It too early and I didnt have my coffee yet so Im a bit confused in what you wrote. lol
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:05 am

Not at home, so can't cut one to show you. But you can get the idea with a couple of quick line drawings.

Cut along the dotted line. You will need two keys to accurately make one 'working' two part key.

Due to the backward angle, the lower part of the key can not be easily be removed without the top part of the key. (Unless you have a pick to lift the pins in front of the cut section while removing the lower section. The top section, having the same ramp angle as the key tip, will be able to lift the pins normally during insertion.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:44 pm

I used to have to make those lock out keys all the time back in the 80's they were very popular. Stops most people but is easy to remove with anything like a paper clip, bobbie pin, whatever will fit in the space to lift all the pins at the same time. I actually got tired of making them cause it is time consuming to make them look professional made. I had to make them in large amounts to have them ready made for Kwikset , Weiser, Schlage, Yale. I don't miss those days. To save on blanks and time I made several bottom parts and just 1 top part in sets of 6 for landlords for temporary lockouts. Did I mention a hated making these. :twisted:

Didn't take long for kids in apts to know to grab the little tang that barely sticks out with small pliers and twist it off and push it in the lock a little to make it not removable which really sucked to have to go try to take it out or drill the lock out. When that started to happen Knob Blok became the landlords preference so that didn't happen anymore which was fine with me. :mrgreen:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:08 am

Now I get it, thanks for the drawings Gordon.
Wow Wizard, I can imagine
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Not at home, so can't cut one to show you. But you can get the idea with a couple of quick line drawings.

Cut along the dotted line. You will need two keys to accurately make one 'working' two part key.

Due to the backward angle, the lower part of the key can not be easily be removed without the top part of the key. (Unless you have a pick to lift the pins in front of the cut section while removing the lower section. The top section, having the same ramp angle as the key tip, will be able to lift the pins normally during insertion.

Gordon

Gordon,
Wow, that's really neat! Great idea!
After studying your drawing for I bit I finally got it, so thanks.
Cheers,
Sean
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:15 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:How about a second driver pin? Put in the normal key pin and a driver pin that is too tall for the shear line with the pins at rest, then a short master wafer on top under the spring. The kinetic energy should transfer primarily to the top pin, which still will not leave the shear line cleared. That, in theory, would make the key work normally, not affect picking, yet reduce the chance of the lock being bumped.

Don't really bump locks, so it is an idea not tested by me, but if someone tries it, let us know how it works.

Gordon

This seems like a promising thought. Makes me curious...
but I too have very limited experience with bumping.
If anyone gives this a go - please post your results.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:45 pm

I can't see it working. I'm sure You have seen the older Corbin locks, they had a ball bearing, and a bottom pin, plus a top pin & they bumped
open just fine. Unless the stacks were varied and not every one had the ball bearing?
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:52 pm

I had a play with bumping a while back. Made a bunch of bump keys and a bump hammer.

What I found was that the locks that I could bump open were very easy to pick (and usually quicker).

After playing around for a couple of months I got better but the results were still the same.

Easy to pick - easy to bump.

I couldn't bump many "decent" locks and the few that I did took a lot of hammering.

Don't take much notice of what you see on YouTube. They are either BS locks of sellers of bump keys. You can also see how to charge your iPhone in the microwave on YouTube. :D

Just my experience with bumping.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
Previous

Return to Lock Bumping