FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Technique for cracking American Padlocks

<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Technique for cracking American Padlocks

flywheel wrote:I think this whole thread boils down to using the screwdriver as a wafer breaker and then popping the lock open directly. I don't know how many wafers you can break at one time considering the tight spaces within the lock body.

No screwdriver that fits down the plug is going to make a hole anywhere near large enough to admit a tool to turn the cam!

Also, if you simulate the tool Peterson make to turn the cam, it will almost certainly fail - few metal alloys will stand up to the job. It is highly unlikely the calibre of thief discussed would buy the tool from
Peterson & if they did, they'd surely buy the wafer breaker, too.

Furthermore, the description of the attack in the article doesn't match.

I'm sure the article is talking about locks of similar shape being opened, more specifically cheap disc detainer locks whose disc packs can be removed quickly with a screwdriver, like this : http://youtu.be/cI_09j-b84I

...Mark
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:20 am

GWiens2001 wrote:
Deadlock wrote:If anybody's got a spare one of these padlocks, and is willing to try some DE on it in the interests of science, I would recommend deft or dextrous whacks. But maybe elegance is the charm? :smile:

Remember, to elegantly whack the screwdriver, you must have the little finger holding the 'hammer' sticking out. And rather than cursing when you miss and hit your hand, you must say "Oh my, how disappointing", or some other such elegant quote.

:rofl:

Gordon

:lol: :lol: Indeed.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:13 am

What is this madness?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Im with you guys. This editor has no idea what he is talking about and that term potato lock must have been provided by "Bug Out" who too doesnt seem to know anything about locks.

The only way to open an american (without picking) is to drill the steel screw piece that holds that plate. I believe its also hardened steel. I have never and do not think I will ever see a screw driver take the core out of an american
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:37 pm

There used to be a tool available (Methinks it was called a "Padlock defeater") which was clamped onto the lock. A hardened jack screw was positioned just over the retaining nut, and was screwed in, effectively driving the rivet head through the retaining plate. The only damage to the lock is done to the retaining nut. The manufacturer (I think it was Major Manufacturing) also made one for the rectangular locks.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:47 pm

femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 pm

magician59 wrote:There used to be a tool available (Methinks it was called a "Padlock defeater") which was clamped onto the lock. A hardened jack screw was positioned just over the retaining nut, and was screwed in, effectively driving the rivet head through the retaining plate. The only damage to the lock is done to the retaining nut. The manufacturer (I think it was Major Manufacturing) also made one for the rectangular locks.

You don't need an expensive tool, I have drilled out the retaining nut before. Just hit it with a center punch first and try not to drill through your hand
I keep an assortment of spare retaining nuts in my master padlock rekeying kit
Previous

Return to Bypassing