Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:00 am

Re: The right way and the wrong way

Riff wrote:This is what im talking about with the spacing (or lack of). Done with a 1cm square file (seemed just using the tip of the file worked best). This is not my work. This is one of the many pics that he sent me. Riff

The reason you've found the square file works better is because a large quantity of keys use 90 degree cut angles.
Try-squares are much more acute, the pins cut into the key rather than slide up the ramps. The bottoms of the pins are also set at 90 degrees.
the lockpickkid wrote:Speaking of a Tri-square file, wouldn't that be easier to impression a key with? seems to me like when you filed down with one in a key, you would have a nice root for the pin to sit on, and would eliminate some work when making a finished key.

No, the use of a round rat-tailed impressioning file allows for a wide range of keys to be cut, by many manufacturers specifications.
Most domestic keys have 90 degree cut angles, but when you consider automotive depth and space, the same file could not be used effectively. you would infact be causing yourself more work, trying to use a tri-square file.

I have seen some locksmiths modify a square file to suit impressioning. All that is done is they run a corner over a belt-sander\linisher to create a flat corner.
This is then used after the depth and spacing has been impressioned into a lock, to smooth out the ramps and generally dress-up the key, to give to a customer.
Because of the now flat corner, it produces the perfect shape of a cut, without effecting depth.
Riff wrote:I cant speak for anyone else. All I know is that when I started making bump keys, or had ones with rounded tops; I'd have to whack the key quite hard...and several times....once I made the Peaks in the way that is pictured with no spaces, I literally just had to "tap" the key and the lock would open.....I went from hitting hard 7 times, to tapping lightly once or twice...that's just my personal experience. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Seriously, it's the "root" or "flat" of the cut. It's not a space.
The piece you're modifying actually IS the cut.