FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First Impression

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: First Impression

Here is why I so needed that confidence boost. 5 attempts down in all known methods but with the boost and some calming music I finally go this puppy. This 5 pin Yale is part of Jeffs box which I am down to that Russwin that I believe something maybe wrong with but I will, now that I am boosted, give it a last try until I get no more marks and that will conclude the journey of the Box of Lock from Jeff.

This lock has truly shown how difficult the famous Y1 keyway can be with all of those curves. The only reason I got this, aside from the boost, was that a polished the inner groove that the pins will fall at some of the deeper cuts. That polish allowed me to get beyond that point of the first groove and the inner groove. This may not may much sense to the gents who never impressioning or paid much attention to the cuts on the Y1 but who ever this is clear too, please help me explain this better :).

The only down side, like that tiny WB, this lock does NOT open. The core turns freely with the key but the shackle is not released. Its not frozen and actually moves very freely. I didnt want to put more power into it and take a chance braking the key that I finally made lol but I am sure Jeff will figure this out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Well hello hello dear friends,

Been a long while but I am back and enjoying one of my most favorite parts of this hobby. Mr. Moss had done me a small favor... I know I know a 10-15 pound bag full of pins isnt small so let me correct, Mr Moss had hooked me up so in turn I agreed to make him some keys since I am starting to slowly have more and more time (the little one is growing).

Up for your entertaiment is a sweet small WB padlock which at first glance appeared to be faded and pretty worthless until I noticed the little stamp on top...oh yea it says Ford :). Hate the company but love logos. The blank didnt fit all the way but I decided to keep going until another decision was may to mid way shorten the blank. Yes I realized that it meant miss aligned pins but I took some time and aligned things with every pass and the result is below. I want to copy this bitting onto a more proper size blank and Jeff, if you get this key then know that I wanted to make it all pretty but didnt have the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:59 am

Got a few more for you but forgot to take picks of them all so for now enjoy this USN Chicago padlock. The key profile is so tight that it was hard to get the blank to wiggle inside but on the same note, once the plug turned there are almost no touch up needed for the key. It worked smooth being pushed up or down.

Forgot to mentioned, I took an attempt to impression a key but instead of using a file I used the HPC Blitz machine. It didnt go well but that is all because I didnt have any vise grips with me and I rushed. I think it would have been a success if I would have went between the depth meaning see mark in position 1 then machine down half a size based on the card. I will be trying this again a few more times so Ill keep you all posted.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:23 pm

Its always good to go back and re-read posts. I just now understood what Wizard and FarmerFreak were saying about the angles and finished keys. Up until now I have just been focused on making a working key but I think its time to move onto to focusing on the working keys' appearance as well. I have learned to use the wider part of the file to open up the cuts so they dont catch the pins but now I will try using just the tip of the file so they dont get wider than needed be.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:18 am

Most recent victory. Yale 5 Wafer. Check our this key and tell me how much does it look impressioning?
<<

HT4

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:17 am

What a great skill... and VERY neat key cutting. Looks darn near factory!

I'm still convinced that there must be some voodoo involved in lock impressioning. This is a skill I need to learn someday. Too many things on my "to do" list...
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 am

Dude...that looks great!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:17 pm

HT, i know the feeling. I made a list of how I want to attack/learn this hobby. Impressioning came up sooner than planned and Im glad it did because its an amazing skill to possess but the best part is the plug turning. When that plug turns after an hour or two of filing, doubting and often stressing its a feeling I cant explain. Its very similar to plug turning after picking but for some reason its more satisfying for me. When ever your ready to try impressioning there are great threads on here including mine which will surely help you plus you can always contact me.

Jeff, thank you very much. There is a little discoloration on the inside plug but that is expected with every impression job. My main worry on all wafer locks is not get the plug dis-formed. Wafer keyways are always wide open so if the key isnt prepped correctly it will disformed the plug. Good thing I learned that lesson on one of my wafer locks and not yours :) but you now have a perfectly working key which works baby butt smooth. I also finally figured out to use the thinnest part of my file and to slowly widen the cuts so they dont all come out round. This is why the key looks go much better as compared to my priors.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Yeah, the cuts on that latest Yale key look great Gleb. Gettin' good!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:27 pm

I think we are starting to get an Oldfast 2.0 on our hands :D
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:07 pm

So the fun continues and I hate Y1 more and more. Aside from it always being a pain for me to pick its even a bigger pain to impression. You need to watch for the way the marks move as you file because the key is so twisty but I finally got this one and I took it to the next step...

Since I have a working key and access to an HPC blitz, I stuck the card and blank and eyed which cut it should be until I got a working key which looks like a factory cut. I forgot to snap a pic of the actual bitting but I think the paper should still be in the shop, will try to get it tonight. If memory hasnt fully failed me its 65344
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:19 am

Haha thanks Mike and Jeff, sorry didnt see your comments till just now. I tried to do the same for the above Yale but it was a beyond my ability at this moment. During impressioning you almost always feel that you messed something up but you still go cause you get marks but for this one, I was going by idk what. I cant even call them marks,more like blemishes lol.
I also learned, with this lock, that if your cuts are too narrow the pin may not drop down to make a mark so you have to watch for slightly darkened spots on the sides and file it wider and then you will see a mark.
<<

escher7

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:30 am

I haven't worked on impressioning, but have read that the magnifier below is excellent for viewing marks on the key. I have one I use for other purposes and it is excellent, especially for $3.00. I like the fact that it includes an ultraviolet light as well as a bright white light and its high magnification should let you see marks you might otherwise miss:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/60X-Magn ... 46507.html
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:56 am

Escher, thanks for the link but I have 3 different magnifiers all with different magnification including the one you linked which is actually horrible for impressioning. I had the same thought when I got started, that I need more mag but in reality you only really need 10x. Some like Farmer Freak dont use a mag at all but he is an alien so its a bad example. I currently use a 30x (I think) which is still too powerful but I like it because its small and it has 2 LEDs which I have to cover with my finger because its too much light.

The most important lession I learned from impressioning, is that you have to set yourself up for success if you want to be success in impressioning and that almost always means trial and error until you find the right tools that work for you.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Calling Mr. Moss, Mr. Moss... have you seen your latest keys?
PreviousNext

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning