Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Piotr's First (Presentable) Polymer Clay-Handled Pick

piotr wrote:
s1deshowmick wrote:Real nice work Piotr, love the style.
Wow, Street sweeper bristles? where did you acquire those? they are as scarce as rocking horse sh!t...

Thanks Mick, much appreciated.

From the street! :) Today, I walked to the post office to mail mister_sour a lock and I found 4 of them in a 500 metre walk. They are usually rusty and blend in to the crap in the gutter so you have to make an effort to look.

I also did manage to buy a small amount from a Chinese street sweeper brush manufacturer last year. The bristles were cheap but shipping cost a fortune and I had to do a international money transfer to China which was also quite expensive. The bristles I bought I know to be AISI 1566 and they are super strong but I won't be buying this way again and don't advise it. They were also very reluctant to ship a small quantity they wanted to send me 500kg IIRC. A possibility is that some of us Aussies pool our money and order 100kg or so, that may be feasible.

What I did do is spend a few hours locating Australian street sweepr brush manufacturers and sent them an email asking if I can buy 100 of their steel bristles. Hopefully I will get some responses this week. I let you know if I am am successful. I think this will be our best option assuming the steel is as good as the Chinese AISI 1566.

I had given up looking for the steel bristles, they only use the plastic type down here. if you do get a load of them i would be happy to purchase some from you and thanks for the offer mate...
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK