FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lever Lock 4-in-1 Tool

<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Lever Lock 4-in-1 Tool

So I managed to make up a tool I have had in my head for a while. This is just the initial proof of concept tool, that is why it is for just 3 (+1 to throw the bolt) lever ye olde Union locks, and similar.

The ends are brazed on...has anyone ever tried brazing something at 90 degrees on this scale? Because I found it very difficult. In the end I had to make up a jig to hold the parts because I only have 1 pair of hands! Here is the tool in an earlier incarnation along with a couple of glorious failures. Because where would we be without fail?

I lost the long socket head screws because the tool is not yet complete, there is still a very crucial part to be added yet. It was all I had in the right size at the time. Here is a video showing the general idea:

Like I said, this is just the start, look out for more. :hbg: :hbg: :hbg:
Last edited by huxleypig on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Re: Lever Lock 4-in-1 Tool

Quite ingenious and very impressive!
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

lockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:47 pm

Very good!!
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:20 am

Respect. I've tried to make something similar; the result was some combination of "totally inoperable," "structurally deficient," and "spectacularly bad." Yours, on the other hand, looks great!
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 am

Very impressive mate. Your work is very inspirational.
<<

huxleypig

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks for the nice words everyone. It was just to demonstrate that the principle was sound. I am now adding a 'sleeve' to go over the handles, to allow each one to be locked into place relative to each other. Also, so you don't have to arse around with a tiny allen key to move them! Again, this is just to demonstrate that it works...old Union 3 lever locks are not to be sniffed at but they were never the final goal here! :cool:

The arms need adding to the tool yet too. These are the final piece of the puzzle and are probably the most complicated little bits.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:36 am

You never cease to amaze me. Nice work mate.

Cheers :)
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:26 am

Excellent work Huxley ! dammit , now i've got to finish mine and shoot a video , mine is a little different (3 part) and the idea is to open 5 lever Curtain wheel locks
well done mate , your dedication shames me into action !
Open Sez Me !
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:36 am

What did you use for the tubes?

McMaster Carr sells hypodermic tubing (stainless steel) all the way down to 0.008" outer diameter, and I had always thought about making something like this.
<<

budget1977

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:30 pm

hats off to you sir. keep up the good work!
<<

huxleypig

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks Fem, I aim to please! :cool:

Nozza, I can't wait to see your tool. I remember you telling me about it a while ago and I still wait with bated breath.

Entropy, the tubes are a very good question. I first got a pack of micro-tubes and they're great for showing what is possible but were just too unnecessarily small for this job. In the end I 'made' my own tubes. The material needs to be brazeable but also very tough. So they are made from tool steel that has been bored out to varying diameters...this gives me 100% control over what final shape they take too...with premade tubes I would have to be adding bits on here and there...once bored out and everything is ok they are then very, very carefully heat treated. If it gets too hot then it will warp...also, quenching thin-walled pipes can be very hairy, this too needs to be done very carefully.

This tool has 4 tubes (well, 3 tubes and 1 thin bar). I estimate that the concept can be extended to the point where maybe 1/3 wall thickness will still be ok (if the tubes are made as decribed above). This means that up to 10 (maybe more?) tubes can be utilised.

Just a shame life is getting in the way of tool dev!

Budget1977 - thanks, I will keep going indeed!

Return to Home Brew