FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

%100 recycled picks.

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:04 pm

%100 recycled picks.

So, I've been playing around with different materials for pick handles. I wanted to find a good way to make strong, decent looking, good feeling and responsive handles. But also be %100 recycled (in line with the wiper inserts). This is what I've come up with so far. Keep in mind, these are for wiper inserts. So the "tang" of the pick is not as wide as normal bought picks.

First up, Newspaper:
p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Yes that is a high gloss mirror finish on newspaper :)

Then, we have Rags:

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

I like how it pretty much matches the vorax case. And yes, that is a high gloss polish on the rag handle too..

The Newspaper was wrapped around the handle of the wiper insert, and soaked in crazy glue, filed, sanded, polished and waxed.

The Rags were wrapped around the handle of the wiper insert, soaked in crazy glue, clamped between 2 pieces of wood for 24 hours, then filed for a good 20 mins, sanded and polished, not waxed cause I wanted to keep some of the texture of the fabric. The rags themselves were from an old pair of PJ's, they were olive drab and black tartan like pattern.

Both these picks are quite nice in the hand, tho the newspaper might be a little too slick. Next time I'll only polish it, not wax it too. They both give Excellent feedback, as they are essentially just solid crazy glue. The newspaper is a bit thinner than the rags, so it flexes quite well, doesn't break or chip or anything. The Rag handle is the exact same size and thickness as a Peterson, it's so thick I can't bend it easy. But the little I can flex it does nothing, It is solid. I have dropped them both many times (on purpose) and they have not chipped or cracked or anything. So Time will tell, but so far, I think the rags are winning. Remember, I only did this to create a %100 Recycled pick. I would prefer wood over both of these. But the Rags are about as nice as a Plastic handled Peterson.

Now something to wash the recycled taste out of your eyeballs:

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

Figured maple handles on Sparrows slims. Filed, sanded, polished and waxed. :drool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:07 am

Re: %100 recycled picks.

Those are 95% recycled picks. Once you find a way to use recycled glue you can say 100%

Cheers :-)
<<

Josephus

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:09 am

femurat wrote:Those are 95% recycled picks. Once you find a way to use recycled glue you can say 100%

Technically metals aren't 100% recyclable either. Some mass is lost with every production cycle. 100% anything is rarely true outside of those frighteningly expensive chemistry standard references. Like the famous $835 dollar jar of peanut butter.

For glue alternatives, maybe plaster of paris as a bonding agent for lamination ala "plaster-mache" might work. Or just use clay and fiber. Or wood resin. I have been wondering how well resin would work. Fish-based glue is boyscout territory, comes with a free dinner, but it's pretty gross. Metal handles and brazing works great. I don't know what flux rosin is made out of.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:18 am

femurat wrote:Those are 95% recycled picks. Once you find a way to use recycled glue you can say 100%

I also paid for the files, sandpaper, buffing compound and wax. I'm talking about the materials used to make the picks, not the consumables.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:28 am

Josephus wrote:

Technically metals aren't 100% recyclable either. Some mass is lost with every production cycle. 100% anything is rarely true outside of those frighteningly expensive chemistry standard references. Like the famous $835 dollar jar of peanut butter.

For glue alternatives, maybe plaster of paris as a bonding agent for lamination ala "plaster-mache" might work. Or just use clay and fiber. Or wood resin. I have been wondering how well resin would work. Fish-based glue is boyscout territory, comes with a free dinner, but it's pretty gross. Metal handles and brazing works great. I don't know what flux rosin is made out of.

I said recycled, not recyclable. And you're right, %100 anything is almost impossible.
I said %100 within the bounds of reason. I obviously didn't count consumables and tools (wax, sandpaper, files, buffing compound, glue, clamps, vise, wax paper). But I also didn't count the calories it took me to make it...

As for the alternatives you offer, most of them cost way more than $0.10 of crazy glue and sound like they wouldn't work very well. lol
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:15 am

Those are beautiful, love your ideas for the use of different materials.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:00 pm

WestCoastPicks wrote:

I also paid for the files, sandpaper, buffing compound and wax. I'm talking about the materials used to make the picks, not the consumables.

I know. I was just pulling your leg. lol

<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Your fabric pick handle is essentially Mircarta. If you had layered instead of wrapping it you would have gotten the familiar striping. Alternating colors and textures can make some nice combinations also. You beat me to this one, I have been thinking of getting off my duff and trying this! They all look great! Keep bringing us your ideas, I love this stuff!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:37 pm

mastersmith wrote:Your fabric pick handle is essentially Mircarta. If you had layered instead of wrapping it you would have gotten the familiar striping. Alternating colors and textures can make some nice combinations also. You beat me to this one, I have been thinking of getting off my duff and trying this! They all look great! Keep bringing us your ideas, I love this stuff!

Micarta like. Micarta uses a 2 part resin.. this is just crazy glue. I've made Micarta before, it doesn't have to be cut and layered to get the layered look. Fabric is thin,
You can crumple it up in a ball and clamp it up. You'll still get the layers once you file or sand it at all. If you can't tell by the picture, the layers are quite visible.

Micarta can also be made out of paper, plastic, whatever you want. If I was going to do this seriously I would use 3m 2 part and different colored construction paper. I would make plates, cut them to size and epoxy them on and finish them.
<<

Altashot

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:41 pm

Love 'em!
especially the news paper, I love cross words, I do them every day...
...although I very seldom complete them...Always a few words I can't figure out.

Great work!

M.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 am

Altashot wrote:I love cross words, I do them every day...
...although I very seldom complete them...Always a few words I can't figure out.

If that happens to me, I discard the definitions and simply try to fit a word in there. I wonder what word could fit, and then check the definition. Sometimes those are misleading on purpose.

Cheers :)
<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:48 am

Very cool. Having recently played with wood and various plastics (bone is next on the list), I particularly like your use of newspapers. Thanks for sharing. (:
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:35 pm

According to the current laws of physics matter cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, everything that has ever existed in the universe has been recycled from its original state of existence. It would be safe to say those picks are made from 100% recycled material.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:17 am

I see. So it's safe to say every pick is 100% recycled.

LOL
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:34 pm

But it goes even further. We are recycled. Everything is star dust, from the hearts of a billion exploding suns. I personally thank the stars that died to give me my Petersons.
And I guess Ken for reassembling the matter in to usable tools. So I guess also the stars that died to make Ken, or his parents, or... hmm.... Thank all the dead stars!

Return to Home Brew