FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Slick Pick 2.0

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Slick Pick 2.0

Hey guys, Slick pick 2.0 is now a thing.

New things:

Lanyard/keyring hole.
Internal Tension wrench.
Slot Resizing so the button doesn't end up at the very bottom of the pick when closed.

I think this is the last major update, from here I'm just going to do a few little tweaks. One of those tweaks is to remove the lettering off the front and back. Cause one of the sides has to be the print surface, it's no good for detail. I had "Slick pick" Written on the back in a cool font. But when that side is printed down, the lettering doesn't show up, cause of the heated bed. If I print that side up, the face of the pick is smooth cause of it being the down side, and that's ok. But the track almost closes up and takes a lot of filing to correct. Also The font I used when printed looks like it says "Suck Puck" cause the l and i blen together to make a U.

So Ver 2.1 Will be basically this, with no lettering. Anyways here's what they look like. I like that it fits a tension wrench in the handle, so now all you need is this one thing on your key chain. Kind of an EDC pick.

Video For a better look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATX22AY9cM

slickpickv2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WestCoastPicks on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Slick Pick 2.0

Damn, these are really coming along. Exciting! Looks great. It really does.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 01, 2016 12:58 am

Nice !!!
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 01, 2016 6:20 am

How much will these be when available to purchase? Do you have any bogota/rake versions?
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun May 01, 2016 9:42 am

Those are some outstanding refinements! I'm impressed.
<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 01, 2016 12:35 pm

I just saw the youtube video for v2.0
Given that I seem to have misplaced one of my Ti Bogotas :slam: (for the size, Rai's design is amazingly effective) A Bogota slick pick would make for a nice EDC replacement.

When are you taking orders or releasing the 3d printer files?
JOB: (n.) a series of tasks that aren't enjoyable, but are done in return for money. see Prostitution
A LIVING: (n.) A means of enjoying ones existence that also provides financial compensation. see Freedom
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys! I am not going to be selling these as it stands now.

I have a great job and a family. These are hand made and take way too much time per unit to make. I couldn't justify the price I would have to charge to make it worth my time.

The only way I would be selling these is if I get the parts injection moulded and laser cut. I can do a bogota in about 20 mins from start to finish. Just for my time, that's like $10. Let alone the material and tools (files stones sandpaper buffing compound etc). I would have to sell these upward of $15 just to make it worth my time. And even if that happened, I work 50 hours a week. I have a family and a life that dictates I would not be able to keep up to any orders.

That being said, once the prototyping is complete (getting real close) I might look into outsourcing to injection molders and laser cutters. And getting a bunch made up. Depends on what the quotes come back like. If it's doable I might be offering a final product in the future.

But as it is now. They aren't for sale. I've said yes to a couple people with special circumstances and they will be sent out in the next day or two. But other than that, these are just a working prototype. I never intended to sell these.

If there is interest in a commercial version of this type of pick, let me know. The more interest, the better chance of me putting these in to production in the future.

-Harley
Last edited by WestCoastPicks on Sun May 01, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Nice upgrades. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Keep up the good work.....

Steve
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Mur670 wrote:How much will these be when available to purchase? Do you have any bogota/rake versions?

Yes, I also make Bogota's and flags. I can grind/file pretty much any profile. Please see above for explanation of availability.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 02, 2016 9:04 pm

Ok so I've had some time to grind out some more picks and find a better button. These still might be a bit big, but the smaller button was hurting my thumb (I open and close them more than a normal person would cause they are new and exciting still). Ultimately It'll end up being between the two sizes. Hopefully made of metal, like the small ones, not plastic like the big ones. Though I do like the feel and look of the big ones, I'll keep looking for the best button.

spv2-1.jpg

spv2-2.jpg

Also on a side note but somewhat related, I am mailing out tomorrow..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Lauren

Post Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 pm

I can completely relate to the cost of time, materials and value when it comes to inventions. No matter what you do, I would focus on building your brand and quality. Your concepts are now in the public domain where nothing is safe. Produce something that a foreign country can't cheaply replicate. I have been ripped off before and it's not a pleasant feeling. Many of my tools are too unique for mass production and the market is too small, so for the moment I feel safe.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Lauren wrote:I can completely relate to the cost of time, materials and value when it comes to inventions. No matter what you do, I would focus on building your brand and quality. Your concepts are now in the public domain where nothing is safe. Produce something that a foreign country can't cheaply replicate. I have been ripped off before and it's not a pleasant feeling. Many of my tools are too unique for mass production and the market is too small, so for the moment I feel safe.

Honestly I toiled over this for a month before I posted the first slick pick post.

But I came to the conclusion that I am not going to put in the thousands of dollars it would take to get everything set up for and then injection molded and laser cut, on the off chance that I might sell enough to get my money back. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it for me, and that I would just make it public domain. The Original post (the first slickpick) says msg me for the .stl. That offer still stands. I hope People make them, in fact I have a running joke with my friend to see how long it will take for someone to rip it off.. I hope they do, then I could go buy a factory produced one.

As it is, it's a project I worked on over a few hours in my spare time. It was originally intended for people to get the stl, print out the handles and make their own (it's sized for wiper inserts). If someone rips it off and mass produces it for sale, oh well. I'll still offer the .stl for free. And maybe give the odd one away. :)
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue May 03, 2016 11:02 pm

slick_pick_v01.jpg

here is a my first copy of the v01's I used a double sided pick from my HPC set because it fit and I get 2 picks for the loss of one pick i never used (and my kit had 3 of them :???: )
but I snapped of the tang's I ground into both of them when I went to bend them but I love the idea and will continue to play with them as I have time.
once again Thanks for the .stl files :salute:
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 04, 2016 10:02 am

Anarchy_won wrote:
slick_pick_v01.jpg

here is a my first copy of the v01's I used a double sided pick from my HPC set because it fit and I get 2 picks for the loss of one pick i never used (and my kit had 3 of them :???: )
but I snapped of the tang's I ground into both of them when I went to bend them but I love the idea and will continue to play with them as I have time.
once again Thanks for the .stl files :salute:

They look pretty good in wood! You're going to want to use stainless (wiper inserts) any harder steel like spring steel or high carbon will just break when bent unless you heat it, and being plastic handles heating isn't really an option. Wiper inserts work great, try to get your hands on a few.

Thanks for the picture! It looks awesome.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed May 04, 2016 11:46 am

those one are just in ABS, I am doing them in wood this weekend.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
Next

Return to Home Brew