FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pocket pick V3 - History of the pocket pick.

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:54 am

Pocket pick V3 - History of the pocket pick.

Hey guys, thought I'd stick this here since I always get people asking me about my pocket picks, where they come from and where to get them.

I first thought of pocket picks when I was working on a new pick case. I thought if I could make the picks smaller the case wouldn't have to be so big. But couldn't find a way to make them small, yet as usable as a full size pick.
I slid open a utility knife to cut some leather, and the idea hit me. The very first version I called slick pick, made from wiper inserts, it had no internal tension wrench, no lanyard hole, and the track was almost the entire length of the handle. I would carry them in a small padded 410 shell Remington case about the size of a deck of cards, one of the slots had tensions wrenches in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebZqXP3E2Ak

Then about 3 days later, I was taking the toothpick out of my Swiss army knife. The obvious thing struck me, I redesigned it. Still made from wiper insert, but this time with a slot for a tension wrench, a lanyard hole and a shorter track. I carried them on a beaded chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATX22AY9cM

Once I saw how practical they could actually be, I totally redesigned it. I found a good supply of fish tape, with a great thickness, price and metal. I bought a couple hundred feet of it, and made version 3 to fit only that stock. The 2 previous versions had been sized for the largest wiper insert I had, so that I would be sure I could fit whatever I had at the time. But with a known stock, I could measure to fit. I measured to the hundredth of a mm the track spacing, the insert length, the thickness, everything. The result is a very nice, tight, practical pick/wrench combo that fits in your pocket or on a key chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaRWdWOYsJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zOZvdLuxZ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hPPhMkh0E

As for where to get them, I do not sell them. I gift them sometimes. Making your own is always an option, I have posted above a video in where I show you how step by step, no 3D printer needed. I see a couple other people have taken the liberty of making their own, This is exactly what I wanted to happen, that's why I made the videos :) I hope everyone who wants one can get one some how. But I think it would be a shame if someone was to make money off of the idea. The entire point is for it to be open source.

I have the .stl or .123d available for anyone who wants it, both for the stock I use, and the generic wiper insert version.
Print services like 3dHubs make it so you don't need your own 3d printer, you can pay via paypal for someone in your own town to print them out for like a dollar and a half each (canadian), the more you get the less they cost. But I highly suggest you watch my video and make them to the measurements of your material. It's not hard.

Hope this post can act as clarification as to where pocket picks come from, who invented them and the stages of evolution it when though before it became the indispensable tool I have found it to be. I hope some day one finds its way in to your pocket.

pocketpickv3.JPG

-West Coast Picks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Pocket pick V3 - History of the pocket pick.

I've handled a v2.0 made by westcoastpicks and it's a very clever and handy design. If you have access to a 3d printer I highly recommend you download the design and make one for yourself to try out.
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:52 pm

Nice thanks WCP
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Jowens90

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:03 pm

What an amazing idea!! I've recently purchased a printer and haven't had many ideas on what to create. But I believe this is worth a go. what's the worst that can happen?? I'll keep ya updated
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Jowens90 wrote:What an amazing idea!! I've recently purchased a printer and haven't had many ideas on what to create. But I believe this is worth a go. what's the worst that can happen?? I'll keep ya updated

they would actual be a good test part for setting up your printer. I have printed 4 or 5 of the v1 pockpicks on different printers after fixing them.

which printer did you get?
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Jowens90

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:03 am

I got a da Vinci I think it's the 1.1 plus. I've been impressed with it so far. Getting use to stuff though. Already looking into modding so I can use different brand filament
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Alright guys. The time has come. I've had a ton of questions, requests for and offers to buy my pocket picks.

I have CAD up some pick profiles and sent them out to a laser cutter for quotes. I have been working on the deal for about a week and it seams like it's going to happen.
So I thought I share with you guys the particulars, my costs and what I'll be asking for them. Hope to get some feedback from you all before I go and drop a grand or more starting this up.

My costs:
Laser cutting 3 - 4 dollars per.
Handles 3D printed 2 dollars per.
Beaded Chain and clasp 50 cents per.
Tension wrench about 10 cents per.
Time for assembly and finishing about 10 minutes per.

I want to aim for about $8 to $10 each.
So I won't be making much money but my main goal is to make them available to everyone.
Prices are in Canadian dollars so do the conversion for you non Canadian guys ☺

I have 6 profiles designed and would be accepting payments via PayPal. Shipping should be low cost since the size of the items are small enough to be a letter.

I have included a picture of the profiles and welcome any feedback. This would be the first run, of what I hope is many. I have been using the newest version of the pocket pick for quite a while now and am happy with the results. Anyone who's had one is also happy with the product. The metal would be 301 stainless BTW.

Capture4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm in Canada and would love two of them. One of the short hooks and one bogie. PM me and I can PayPal the money to you when you're ready.
<<

nsquidc

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:08 am

Nice to see that you might be packaging these soon! I'd be interested in the short hook, gem, gonzo, and boga.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Alright. Update time. I got the pieces back from the laser cutters and they looked absolutely awesome. It's very cool to CAD something then see the final product.

One problem. Perhaps the most important thing too is that I requested it in their hardest steel. They said it was 316 stainless. So I gave the go ahead. Reading some posts I saw people saying it was good for making picks out of. Well its not lol. I made a $500 mistake. And now I have 100 useless pocket pick inserts lol.

But I'm not giving up, I'm sourcing out some 1095 or spring steel and trying again. I will ask for a sample next time before I drop another $500 on it. Too bad too cause they LOOK awesome.

If anyone is thinking of making picks out of 316 stainless, don't bother. It's worse than even sparrows metal.
<<

Tipene_1

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 pm

These guys sell various thicknesses of 301 Hard Stainless Steel. It no doubt is expensive though.

http://www.precisionsteel.com/stainless ... /full-hard

Tipene
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:22 am

Tipene_1 wrote:These guys sell various thicknesses of 301 Hard Stainless Steel. It no doubt is expensive though.

http://www.precisionsteel.com/stainless ... /full-hard

Tipene

301 would be the bare minimum requirement. I'm not happy with sparrows metal (they use 301) it bends way too easy. I'm looking in to 1095 or spring steel. The same stuff as the starrett 666. It's MUCH better metal. TBH the 316 is pretty much like 301. Maybe a touch softer. But not acceptable to me. I have bought picks off of eBay that are soft like these ones, but I want a superior product. 301 isn't that. Lol
<<

Tipene_1

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:28 am

I actually use Starrett Feeler Stock for all my homebrew Picks. I have used it in 0.015, 0.018, 0.020 , 0.023 and 0.025" I really like the stuff, I have found it ideal Pick making stock.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Tipene_1 wrote:I actually use Starrett Feeler Stock for all my homebrew Picks. I have used it in 0.015, 0.018, 0.020 , 0.023 and 0.025" I really like the stuff, I have found it ideal Pick making stock.

That's what I use. But laser cutters require sheet stock.
Starrett 666 is 1095. The laser guys are checking their suppliers I'm sure I'll be able to get it.

Just a shame I lost the 500 bux on the stainless. They are usable. But it's nothing I want my name attached to. Lol
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm

This is way out of my field, but, a little check looks to me something like this; Precision doesn't even offer specs on 316 as a tempered product. It is listed as corrosion resistant. 301 is offered in several variants, 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, etc. up to full hard. Each of these are spec'd out. I wonder if the company you used just gave you some really bad advice? You may want to go back to them and get some rational for them telling you this was the hardest they have. If it is, maybe they are not the right company to be making your blanks. It looks to me like they were in no position to recommend a steel to you. Okay, that's my thoughts as it is. Good luck on getting this worked out.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
Next

Return to Home Brew