FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Prototype Homebrew Picks - SublimeSP

<<

SublimeSP

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:19 am

Prototype Homebrew Picks - SublimeSP

Hey guys, I wanted to show off a few new prototype picks that I have been working on. These are my very first attempts at making lock picks. They still need a good amount of work so don't be too critical, but I wanted to get your opinions on them. They are made from actual .025" thick High Yield 301 Stainless (270,000psi yield strength) so they are as strong as anything that you can get. Right now I am just experimenting with the designs, but I'm thinking about selling them when they are perfected. Let me know what you think and if you would be interested in buying something like this! I have lots of great ideas so get ready to see some cool stuff.

P.S. Sorry for the picture quality. I'm new to this forum thing. Next pics will be much better.

Thanks,
Sublime

Bogota with Polymer Handle

DeForest with Carbon Fiber Handle

DeForest with Carbon Fiber Handle - Style 2

Raw Picks Before Finishing
Middle one is part of a two pick set specifically designed for Medeco locks.

Prybar
In my opinion, everyone makes prybars about an inch too short so I made this one the perfect length and put serrations on both sides of the tip instead of just one.

Prybar Closeup
Couldn't get the serrations in too deep with my current methods, but I have ideas about how to get them in better.

SublimeSP
Last edited by SublimeSP on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

whizdumb

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:15 am

Re: Prototype Homebrew Picks - SublimeSP

Mother of God those are awesome! And that Prybar, You are certainly good with the details. Kudos to you and keep posting!

BTW, I like how the metal peeks out of the bottom of that carbon fiber handles deforest that you did. Really looks good. And put me down for a pick and one of those prybars when you're ready.
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 am

great job on the design, carbon fiber shouldn't dampen feed back at all especially with exposed metal on the bottom .
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Great work. Put me on the list for a Deforest please
(With exposed metal).
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:50 pm

SublimeSP wrote:.....These are my very first attempts at making lock picks....

Certainly some fantastic looking stuff right out of the starting gate.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here!
I'm looking forward to seeing more for sure.

So, I'm curious... have you been picking for some time?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Tipene_1

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:25 am

These are outstanding, I love the overall profile and the handles.
If these were your first attempt I can't wait to see your 2nd
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Very nice! Keep us posted, I think you will find a customer or two. One question, how thick is the pry bar?
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

SublimeSP

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:44 pm

I really appreciate all the positive feedback guys, it really means a lot. Time to answer some questions.

Oldfast wrote:So, I'm curious... have you been picking for some time?

I've been picking on and off as a hobby for around 15 years. About 2 years ago I caught the bug again and got pretty hardcore about it. I've recently been into picking high security locks like Medeco, various dimple locks, etc. The middle pick in the image that shows three raw picks is part of a two pick set that is specifically designed to rotate Medeco pins. These picks are obviously completely bespoke and hand crafted, but I'm working on making a line of picks that are still really cool and made with the best materials, but more affordable so that everyone can have them in their collection.

I want to make this the first pick company that really caters directly to the customers. If you have a cool idea or something you want made, I want to be able make it for you and the rest of the community in a reasonable time frame. I feel that this is something that is missing from the community and that I could provide.

I have designed a really vast array of game changing products, but I just started to make them recently. Some of the products are more visually and stylistically interesting and some of them are game changers as far as functionality goes. Hopefully I will be able to sell a good number of these and use that to bring my other designs into reality.

Alaphablue wrote:great job on the design, carbon fiber shouldn't dampen feed back at all especially with exposed metal on the bottom .

No the carbon fiber is far more stiff and lightweight than any other picks I've ever seen so it will carry feedback far better, in fact than anything else out there. Unfortunately, most production picks are made with polymers that absorb a good amount of feedback. Peterson uses a pretty decent material for their handles, but the carbon fiber is still much better at carrying feedback. Most custom made picks use either metal or wood handles. The metal is too heavy to carry feedback well, but some woods actually do a pretty good job due to their light weight and stiffness.

mastersmith wrote:Very nice! Keep us posted, I think you will find a customer or two. One question, how thick is the pry bar?

That prybar is .050" thick, but I will be making other thicknesses as well in the future. I'd like to make a few very specific thicknesses that fit perfectly into commonly used locks. Any specific thicknesses you think I should make?

SublimeSP
<<

Haze

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 am

Beautiful work, the handle designs are very unique. What did you use for stock to make the carbon fiber and polymer handles?
<<

SublimeSP

Post Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Haze wrote:Beautiful work, the handle designs are very unique. What did you use for stock to make the carbon fiber and polymer handles?

Thanks man. I used 1/16" (.0625") thick extra rigid carbon fiber. I'm really happy with the overall thickness and the amount of feedback it transfers is awesome. As far as the polymer, it is a bit of a secret right now, but I'm going to be releasing more details about it in the near future.

SublimeSP

Return to Home Brew