FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Mul T Lock decoder feeler tip

<<

locking bad

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:44 am

Mul T Lock decoder feeler tip

Hi everyone,i need your help guys!i have a Mul T Lock decoding tool model 5R (for mul t lock 5 pins) and in first place im having difficulties to use it because does not provide any good feedback and so far i didnt get any opening yet but during the trial i broke the only 2 feeler tips provided in the set,so my question is:the same type of tip its expensive for the quality of the item so im planning to make one of my own but i dont know how to start because the end of the tip,so far the only good idea came up in my mind its the piano wire but i need one large enough to allow me to file the end of the tip and once done i have to find a way to reduce the diameter of all the rest of the tip in order to fit the hole of the tool..there is anyone who have some other idea or a suggestion to complete the process wit the piano wire?im open to any type os suggestions!thanks you all
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Mul T Lock decoder feeler tip

OK...please take this advice from someone who has picked a LOT of Mul T locks:

Unless you specifically need to decode the lock in situ to make a working key (ie, you're a locksmith or a government covert employee of one type or another*) then the commercially available picking tools are an absolute waste of time. There are many, many reasons for this which I'm happy to discuss in a subsequent post. But let it suffice to say for now that you are by far better to learn to pick these locks freehand, with a dimple flag and a tension tool.

You're absolutely correct, the picking tips of these decoding tools are very fragile and even in experienced hands provide poor feedback, and break easily. You're also absolutely correct in that a modified piece of piano wire is the obvious replacement, if you can make one to suit. But if you are a hobbyist then you are far better to abandon this tool and instead buy a set of flags, and do the hard yards.

Best wishes and good luck,

Michael Maynard.

*And in either case, you're really not on the right forum, to be fair.
<<

locking bad

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:34 am

Hi,thanks for reply!i opened this topic for 1 specific reason..the fact is that im capable to open mul t lock locks on free hand thats why i dont understand why i never had an opening with that tool then i see video on youtube of people with rotor tool for mul t lock(which is not the one that i own,i have the the chinese one) and these people open a mul t lock a way faster than they would on free hand so im wondering whats wrong with me?thats why i decided to make a feeler tip like the rotor pick tool and apply it on chinese tool,at least i should have some more feedback in this way..i just need to find a way to do it,if you have any other suggestion would be more than welcome..many thanks
<<

locking bad

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:14 am

No way!!i noticed only now your name!!your surname most,it rang a bell in my mind,im a great fan of your channel so having advices from you its absolutely great!
<<

Visitor

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:23 am

There are great mtl tools out there that work as you want but the cheap chinese ones are not some of them. The rotar tool is good and there are ones that cost 40x of a Chinese one that are extremely good but not available to hobby pickers so easily.

Your looking at your problem the wrong way, think about getting the right size of wire and bending an L shape on the end, with careful hammering, filing and grinding you'll have your tip.

Edit, I do agree hand picking is the better way of course, feedback on decoding tools often seem limited to sound rather than feel and as youve found out they dont like the forces required to get positive definate feedback. Direct pick to hand contact is always best.
<<

locking bad

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 am

Visitor wrote:There are great mtl tools out there that work as you want but the cheap chinese ones are not some of them. The rotar tool is good and there are ones that cost 40x of a Chinese one that are extremely good but not available to hobby pickers so easily.

Your looking at your problem the wrong way, think about getting the right size of wire and bending an L shape on the end, with careful hammering, filing and grinding you'll have your tip.

Edit, I do agree hand picking is the better way of course, feedback on decoding tools often seem limited to sound rather than feel and as youve found out they dont like the forces required to get positive definate feedback. Direct pick to hand contact is always best.

Hi,i know the rotorpick tools out there but i can not afford them and even if i could it would be a big purchase for someone like me who would use the tool only for an hobby,thank you very much for your advice was absolutely helpfull!sounds weird but i was stuck to how to make the end of the tip and bend it tap it with the hammer and then file it to size is a very good idea!thanks a lot

Return to Home Brew