FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hot Pink Polymer Clay-Handled Pick

<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:30 am

Hot Pink Polymer Clay-Handled Pick

I made this for Chris' wife. As per usual I am not entirely happy with the pick handle. The handle is finished in a coat of clear epoxy resin (to protect handle and to make it more shiny). Unfortunately the epoxy resin did not cure evenly. I have devised a method of uniformly distributing and preserving that even distribution whilst curing but I need time materials to implement the method. So I am giving the pick away as is, acknowledging its imperfections.

It is an extremely shiny pick. The pick blade is AISI 1566 polished to a mirror finish and the handle -- as I said above -- is coated in a high-gloss epoxy resin. The reflectivity of the pick makes it challenging to photograph for a photography n00b like myself. The pick blade is ~0.023 in thickness. Despite the gloss of the handle it isn't slippery.

I used Cernit polymer clay for this pick. It bakes harder than Fimo Soft and it has a translucency similar to poercelain. If you hold it up against a light source you can see the pick tang outline.

I have more experimenting to do with top coats of various sorts. When I perfect the application of top coat I will remake this pick.

Chris, I will post this out late next week. I hope your wife likes it and I am releasing it with qualification that a better one will follow.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:43 am

Re: Hot Pink Polymer Clay-Handled Pick

You seem like a very decent guy Piotr. And yes, its very shiny.
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:54 am

Oh that's great Pete, she will definitely like it. I think it looks awesome, as with anything it will take time until you are happy with the end result. Took me months lol.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:30 am

Yep, he is a decent fella is 'ol Piotr.

Very nice pick buddy, very nice.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

darkhorse

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm

youre a star piotr...and to want to perfect it even more shows you are a real artist....well done
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words guys. Much appreciated. :smile:
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 am

Just received this pick in the mail yesterday, I can tell you that the pictures do this pick no justice. The pink is a lot brighter, or "hotter" if you will than the pictures make it out to be. The pick itself is highly sanded and polished, very smooth finish, feels great in a lock. The clay polymer handle gives great feedback, it's fairly rigid compared to other clay handles I have messed with (which is a good thing).

Overall I am very impressed with Pete's work on this, I highly suggest picking one up for your collection if you get the chance.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 am

chris wrote:Overall I am very impressed with Pete's work on this, I highly suggest picking one up for your collection if you get the chance.

Agreed. I've only seen the pictures of the ones he's made, but based on that I've already ordered a pair of them.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I am in the process of making MBIs picks. The metallic green one has had its top coat applied and I need to wait at least a week for it to completely cure before sanding and buffing. I will start on the silver one today. My top-coating method has improved since I made "Pinky" so Pinky II and MBIs picks (and others') should have a much more refined top-coat. I am aiming for a "wet glass" look which will make the underlying colour "pop" even more.

Once again, thanks for the words of praise and encouragement, it means much to me. :smile:
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:00 pm

I can't wait to see what MBI's picks and Pinky II turn out like. Should be great!
My most recent video is of Pinky slaying a 5200. Great stuff.

Return to Home Brew