FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tension wrench steel

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:22 am

Tension wrench steel

If I wanted a consistent supply of flat steel for making tension wrenches and had to buy it, does anyone know where or how to buy it?
<<

Bryanxwhite

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Tension wrench steel

Fish tape steel. You may have to search for it and check different brands but it's spring steel. In the electrical section of the big box stores.
<<

darkhorse

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

just searched for this in the uk on ebay and its cheap for 15 metres thanks guys
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:52 am

The only thing I ever use is the steel inserts out of old windshield wiper blades, depending on the brand of wiper you either get two thin pieces or two thicker (wider) pieces, they both work great, I have never bought tension wrenches, I am not as good at homebrew stuff like most of the members here, but I can wip out some awesome wrenches and there mostly customized to work in a particular lock I am having trouble tensioning. I bet I have over 30 different ones and they are all mostly made from these. Now I have a couple of wrenches that I call "stubby's" and they are made from stainless steel cotter pins, I only have to file them down a bit to where they will go into a lock, and they work either TOK or BOK. They are a go to wrench for some locks like Wilson Bohannan or some BEST brand stuff. But they also work in the everyday locks, like Kwickset or Schlage. I have to get used to them because they don't "Talk" to my fingers near as well because of being short and thicker.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:57 am

mdchurchill wrote:If I wanted a consistent supply of flat steel for making tension wrenches and had to buy it, does anyone know where or how to buy it?

I don't know how different it is in Arizona, but up here in Utah you can get it for free at any auto parts store. It seems on any given day you'll see two or three old windshield wipers in the garbage can next to the front door. People often replace them on the spot and toss their old one.

I'd noticed them before, so when I needed to make some wrenches one time I went on a rainy day after a dry spell. There were around two dozen of them sitting there, just sticking out of the top of the can. I asked inside and they said they didn't care, so I spent two or three minutes and stripped them all on the spot, took the inserts and tossed the rest in the can. I had to fiddle with them at first, but after the first couple wipers I found an easy way to pop out the inserts so each one only took a few seconds. I got several different thicknesses and widths. Each wiper has two inserts and I got so many I've never needed to go back a second time.

If you don't want to be a scrounge or if you need a HUGE supply, or specific dimensions, the inserts are just made from stainless steel flat wire. It's the identical material used by SouthOrd, Southern Specialties, and several other pick makers, although HPC tends to use spring steel instead of stainless. There are a ton of suppliers online, but I'd search metal suppliers locally because shipping for a roll of it would probably be pricey.

EDIT: The lockpickkid beat me to the punch while I was typing my reply!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. I need a consistent supply because of something unique I've come up with and I need to be able to make it on demand. My brother and I are starting up a website and I want to be able to sell this wrench from the site for people who don't do home brew. Specifically it is for use with bump keys. With a regular tension wrench they seem to drop out of the key about every third whack and when I get frustrated about every other time. So I came up with something that is simple yet works beautifully for me. If it takes off I don't want to have to wait for a rainy day in Arizona for wiper blade inserts.
<<

mech

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:43 pm

just put a straw thru the hole in the key lol
http://www.youtube.com/duction
www.Lockpick.co
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:56 pm

mdchurchill wrote:Thanks for the replies. I need a consistent supply because of something unique I've come up with and I need to be able to make it on demand. My brother and I are starting up a website and I want to be able to sell this wrench from the site for people who don't do home brew. Specifically it is for use with bump keys. With a regular tension wrench they seem to drop out of the key about every third whack and when I get frustrated about every other time. So I came up with something that is simple yet works beautifully for me. If it takes off I don't want to have to wait for a rainy day in Arizona for wiper blade inserts.

I don't bump that often but when I need to I always stick a long tension wrench through the hole in the head of the key to apply tension as I am hitting it with the hammer, this keeps my fingers from turning black or blue and getting blood blisters!! Is this what your thinking of??
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:01 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:
mdchurchill wrote:Thanks for the replies. I need a consistent supply because of something unique I've come up with and I need to be able to make it on demand. My brother and I are starting up a website and I want to be able to sell this wrench from the site for people who don't do home brew. Specifically it is for use with bump keys. With a regular tension wrench they seem to drop out of the key about every third whack and when I get frustrated about every other time. So I came up with something that is simple yet works beautifully for me. If it takes off I don't want to have to wait for a rainy day in Arizona for wiper blade inserts.

I don't bump that often but when I need to I always stick a long tension wrench through the hole in the head of the key to apply tension as I am hitting it with the hammer, this keeps my fingers from turning black or blue and getting blood blisters!! Is this what your thinking of??

Yeah, but I put a little twist in it so it king of snugs into the key head. It's great because it is easily reversible and I keep one strictly for bumping.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:33 am

So let us know when/where said website exists =)
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:16 pm

aka.decoy wrote:So let us know when/where said website exists =)

Likewise. I like to support members' enterprises and projects where I can.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 am

aka.decoy wrote:So let us know when/where said website exists =)

Before I do that I'd have to check with HC since it will be in competition with a sponsor. I wouldn't want to piss off a sponsor of the board, they are here first and I don't want to be that kind of business.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:14 am

Ah, wasn't looking at it from that angle at the time. Very classy, sir.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy

Return to Home Brew