FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

my home brew picks

<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 am

my home brew picks

Some of my home brew picks and TW's
New ones anyways..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by morrowind107 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: my home brew picks

Very nice. Check out some of the finishing tutorials on here, it really will improve the function, alot. It also makes your tools dazzle your friends! :drool:
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks, found out that i have to scrap about 4 of them because i made the metal to thin, so have to remake atleast one or two that i really liked, and the boogata tryout wasnt all that good either, but this is trial and error, so hopefully i will get better eventually, and yes, they need some polishing up, would be great to get some pointers for that too :-) still got 3 of the bigger inserts from wipers, and get a couple a week too, so im not running out yet
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Oh, and i need a new dremel thingy, mine started making really funny noises today :mrgreen:
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Well done , just keep up the good work ! i have found that when making picks , it is important to "size" up the picks in a few locks as you work on them , some people use templates , but i prefer sizing , as you get variations , good and bad , this shows you what will or won't work , just follow which designs work best ,
PS. super glue some strips of steel to the sides of the "better" picks and shrink wrap them , you will remember which designs worked better , plus the support strips will make the picks feel far better in hand !
Open Sez Me !
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:08 pm

nozza36 wrote:Well done , just keep up the good work ! i have found that when making picks , it is important to "size" up the picks in a few locks as you work on them , some people use templates , but i prefer sizing , as you get variations , good and bad , this shows you what will or won't work , just follow which designs work best ,
PS. super glue some strips of steel to the sides of the "better" picks and shrink wrap them , you will remember which designs worked better , plus the support strips will make the picks feel far better in hand !

Thanks!
I try to do them without templates, just from memory and some guess work, "boogata" was just from memory, found out the peaks were to steep for it to work, so that needs some tinkering with.
Actually thought of doing the handles like that, but with plasti dip instead of shrink wrap, just waiting to get plasti dip in store again :D some of the picks i have made is with steel strips and shrinkwrap btw, still remember some of the old tricks from a couple of years back :cool:
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:22 pm

Some of the TW's i use, mostly use the ones with the 180 degree bend (TOK wrenches)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Filed down the "boogata" (more of a city rake me thinks?) And made another one of the ones i made to thin, most happy with the hook :mrgreen:
Still not finished with them, all of them need polishing up, and some of them are getting handles :cool:
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Lots of experimentation.... nice! They're lookin' great.

I especially like your wide selection of tensors :D

Look forward to seeing what you do for handles.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:16 am

Oldfast wrote:Lots of experimentation.... nice! They're lookin' great.

I especially like your wide selection of tensors :D

Look forward to seeing what you do for handles.

Thanks! Quite fun to make picks, and use them

Tension is half the job, so got to have some to chose by, like picks, everyone has its uses

Nothing to mindblowing with the handles, first of im making them out of wiper inserts, same as the picks and maybe plasti dip for rubber handles :smile:
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Plasti dip spray, next ones will be with non spray dip
Result was not that good..
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 pm

morrowind107 wrote:....Result was not that good..

But not too bad either :D Keep experimenting.
The plasti-dip spray applies a very thin layer... almost too thin.
I've found it can sometimes begin peeling off over time after some use.

The plasti-dip however, can be difficult to use without getting alot of left over bubbles.
I've found this can be overcome to quite an extent by very slowly lowering the piece
into the dip. And, on the way in and out, add a very small side to side motion.

You could always try pressing in some different textures too. Some mesh or screen etc.
You can't press it in immediately following the dip though. You'll have to experiment a
bit to find the optimal time to wait before pressing in your texture. Just the right dry
time will allow the dip to accept and hold an impression, but not stick to your mesh
(or whatever else you decide to use) as you pull it back off.

Anyway, just some thoughts to run with maybe.
Good luck. I look forward to seeing what ya find.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Im waiting for a new batch from our supplier, instead of using spray cans im going to use the liquid.
And all grease or smudge on the surface of what you are dipping (atleast rims or car panels) will make it look bad + i sprayed to thick on the picks
The thing ive plasti diped on my car looks a lot better :mrgreen:

Ohh.. and i got a couple more wiper inserts from work, so the torque wrench collection got a bit bigger :cool:
Different sizes, the bigger ones i use for picks and handles, the other ones for wrenches, got 3 different sizes of wiper inserts for wrenches
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Pics
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:49 pm

First try with plasti dip! Took some time for the supplier to get it to my work, tried to paint a whole car with this, so learned a bit from that.
Got two layers on the ones in the picture.
Drying time for plasti dip is usually about 15 mins with thin layers, but its quite thick on the picks, so i will see.
All hail the hypnotoad!
Next

Return to Home Brew