FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Marcel's homebrew

<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Marcel's homebrew

After having some sprinsteel stock sitting on my desk for more then a year, I finally went out and got a rotary tool to try and turn it into some picks.

I'll be making both 0.4 (0.0157 inch) and 0.6 (0.0236 inch) mm versions of each pick.

Rough outline made, and sanded with 400

IMG_0375.JPG

Need to visit the store for some more sandpaper before I can finish 'em.

Even though they do have some rough parts, picking a 6 pin wilka isn't a problem for either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: Marcel's homebrew

Very cool looking picks. Can't wait to see them when you're all the way done. Good Job.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Looking good so far! I bet they'll be fantastic once finished!

[EDIT] Forgot to ask if you were planning to put some kind of handle on them once the metal is finished... if so what material(s) are you planning on using and what method of attachment?
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:39 pm

For now they won't get handles, the sides are nice enough on the fingers (no sharp edges). Added benifit would be that they are easier to carry then with handles.

Once I get a little more practice at making working tips I may look into making handles. First thing would be finding more locks to test the picks on :)
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Great work. I actually just started making my very first pick too with a rotary tool too :)
What bits did you use? I used a few standard cut-off wheels together and another larger cut-off wheel but I forget its name atm.
Share some techniques and tools :)
<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:15 pm

My setup is a little basic.

It consists of a workmate, a small vise, some clamps, a rotary tool, fiber reinforced cutting discs, various handfiles, and left over bits of sandpaper.

Others have made extensive write ups on their methods, I'm just picking the bits that make sense to me, and fit with the tools I have available.

Whatever method you choose, you're most likely to succeed if you use tools you are comfortable with.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm

back when i started out i was making picks like crazy with my dremel and files. just used some cut off wheels (diamond disc is greta if youre working with titanium) and grinding wheels to shape the pick, sanded with the dremel and then finished the polishing by hand. theres one hook that i still use pretty often, her name is becca hah. its alot of fun to play around with different pick profiles. i used to spend alot of time thinking about handles but usually ended up just going with some adhesive heat shrink tubing. if youre looking to make some flags for dimple locks papa gleb an xacto knife and feeler gauge can work really well.

nice lookin picks marcel, keep at it brotha :)
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:28 am

Well done Marcel , like them a lot !
As far as handles go , when you get old and tired , you come to find them as a must have ! even just gluing plastic sides to them will be a comfort if you are doing hour upon hour of picking , keep it up , and make as many variants as you can !
Open Sez Me !
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:02 pm

....looks like the start of somethin' good :razz:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 pm

For those hessitating to get into pick making because they have no space or tools I made a picture of my 'workspace'

DSC_3710.jpg

The only thing not in that picture are my files, and my rotary tool and the various cutoff, and sanding discs.

The upside down drill has a makeshift flapper strip of sandpaper on it. The clamps on the workmate get used to either clamp the picks onto the surface of the workmate, or to keep the trigger on the drill pressed in (handsfree sanding :).

The phonebook has has 800 and 1000 grit sheets of sandpaper in it, and is a great help to quickly finish the picks.

Neither the phonebook, nor the flapper strip are original ideas. I got both from bosnianbill's utube channel, and I think he mentioned the book idea came from cocomolock.

So what does a pick look like after 400 grit

DSC_3704.jpg

after 800 and 1000 grit

DSC_3706.jpg

Please keep in mind that it is a 0.40 mm (0.015 inch) pick, so scale the scratches down to that size as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 am

While sorting through the toolbox I found an old oilstone.

I've only done the 0.4 mm pick so far, but it makes for an interesting comparison.

0.6 mm 1000 grit
DSC_3717.jpg

0.4 mm oilstone
DSC_3718.jpg

It feels really nice and rounded, and I think this is where I'll stop with the grinding.

Both picks finished, and tips flattened

DSC_3722.jpg
<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:42 am

I've reconsidered using the sandpaper, and just remove the burrs (if any) with the oilstone.

Latest make, a tension tool, based on the basic prybar design:

DSC_3723.jpg

Although it is a little thin (0.6 mm) it does worok quite well.
<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:45 am

Regular hook

DSC_3725.jpg
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:33 pm

Lookin' like great work there Marcel!

Like that you posted a pic of your work bench.
I actually LOVE seeing peoples' work spaces!!

Whether they're big or small, organized & clean, or an all out dirty war zone...
to me each one is like a little glimpse into a magical and personal place.
So many peaceful hours. So much..................................flooooow :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

marcel

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Some more progres. I was given some spare bits of wood, and decided to try adding some handles.

The result

DSC_3728.jpg

The wood is glued directly to the picks, no drilling required.

Shaping was done with a belt sander, and finished by hand. This wasn't done at home. I was fortunate enough to be allowed the use of a very nice workspace by a friend.

They'll get an oil bath tomorrow, and should be ready to use after that.
Next

Return to Home Brew