FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help/advice on DeForrest picks

<<

Neilau

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Help/advice on DeForrest picks

Hi Good People.

I need some help/advice.

This is my first attempt at a deforest tip. A real bugger to get right (with the tools that I have).

deforrest.jpg

I don’t usually use templates but I did on this one. It came out pretty close but while reducing its size I kind of ended up with a deep hook with the outer radius straightened and a blub on the end. I removes the point at the front as it was interfering with the pin in front.

You know how it is, keep fiddling with it and the shape changes :mrgreen:

I have a couple of questions for makers and users.

Any tips on making a Deforest. What should the angle be on the tip and how deep should it be.

The other question is - Is it worth all the time and effort, ie. are they any good for general picking or are they more a specialized pick, if so, for what. I have never used one. The ones that I have seen are very thin and don’t look too strong.

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Re: Help/advice on DeForrest picks

That is a nice "DeNeilau"! There is nothing wrong with having your own design. As far as "does it work" like all picks, if you get comfortable with it, it will work. Maybe better than any other, maybe not. Until I came to this site that was my favorite design. Hanging around here has altered my preference to a short hook. They are very similar and perhaps interchangeable for me. I think they get more "style points", I do like the look. As far as how strong, I have broken a couple of tips off. But I have broken all kinds of picks regardless of design.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks Mastersmith.

I like that, a "DeNeilau" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll handle it up and give it a work out. I'll also make some more with variations on the angle.

Funny, I used to prefer the half diamond but like you, since hanging around here my go to pick is also the short hook.

It wasn't really designed - it just ended up like that but I'll take it.

Introducing the "DeNeilau" Ha Ha. How long before the Chinese are making copies? Ha Ha.

Made my day. :D
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:37 am

Neilau wrote:.....The other question is - Is it worth all the time and effort.....

In my opinion, yes, it's worthy of your time. It's really quite a useful design and fairly versatile.
Just like you guys, I mostly use a short hook now... but for quite a while it was a Deforest pick.

You're right though - they are slightly more prone to bending/breaking. But I think it's something
you'd be capable of minimizing through design. Give up a little versatility to gain some strength.

My first experience with a Deforest pick was from a set of SouthOrd's slimlines. I picked a lot of
locks with it and liked it so much that I made my own. You can see I modeled it after an off-set
1/2 diamond, but made it an off-set 1/2 ball. I liked more rounded tips at the time (and still do).
You can see it turned out a little thinner than it probably should have been. But even so, that
thing lasted a long time before it started bending! To date, I've only made a handful of picks.

Keep at it! I definitely think it's worth your time and effort. It's an elegant pick really.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Neilau

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm

WOW Oldfast. For a guy who doesn't make many picks you sure have talent.

Thanks for the feedback and the link - another injection of inspiration.

And...dam!! ..... I sit in front of the TV polishing the picks with fine grit for hours and when I think I have got a nice polish I photograph it and the flash makes it look it has been dragged behind a car.

Have to try the toothpaste on the Dremel.

If I get that liquid finish I don't think I'd use it as "I might scratch it". :D

I've started putting a handle on it. When it's finished I'll put up a photo.

Thanks again.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

Return to Home Brew