FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Angal KIK (Mul-T-Lock clone) disassembly

<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Angal KIK (Mul-T-Lock clone) disassembly

I'm unsure of where exactly I should post this, but this sub seems like the most relevant. If there is a better home please feel free to move it.

I've been playing with this lock for awhile now and as I've not seen much info on it I thought I'd throw up some pictures of what's inside. I'm not very familiar (at all) with MTL, but from what I've read this is pretty much the cheap version of one. It's a 5 (10?) pin dimple lock with telescoping pin stacks and serrated drivers.

Angal face.jpg

Now for the good bits.

Angal break down (LED).JPG

Angal pins (LED).JPG

Angal keypin.jpg

The inner keypins have a ridge to keep them from passing all the way though the outer pins.

Angal inner keypin.jpg

The inner driver is not able to be removed without damaging the pin as far as I can see. It is spring loaded and sits flush with the top of the outer driver at rest. The outer driver is heavily serrated.

Angal driver.jpg

An attempt to show the travel of the inner driver, a tripod would have been handy at this point.

Angal driver (inner pin depressed).jpg

A shot of the key showing the dimples for the inner and outer pins.

Angal key.jpg

As of yet I've been unable to pick this lock. For a knockoff brand the tolerances are pretty tight, the minimal counter-rotation from the deep serrations is often enough to drop a set pin or two. I plan on putting this lock back together with a couple less pins in it for some practice though. So far a short hook seems to be the easiest to use setting the outer pins. I've yet to get them all set but it looks like the inner pins should be able to be set with a half diamond. The width of the keyway and placement of the warding make tensioning the lock a little tricky, I have to use my widest wrench just to get a little bite on the plug.

Apologies for the quality of pictures, I'm having a bit of a lighting problem in this room. I've been using this as a temporary solution:

Lighting.JPG

Feel free to laugh, it's an LED flashlight with a single layer of a napkin over it to diffuse the light a little. I know...

Anyways, I hope somebody gets some use out of this post. I haven't seen much mention of these locks at all, only the Medeco knockoffs. It's kind of a fun lock, but I don't have any experience with dimple locks outside of this one so your mileage may vary. At least it was cheap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri May 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Re: Angal KIK (Mul-T-Lock clone) disassembly

Nice breakdown, thanks. Looks like it's in the perfect forum for it.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Thankya. If there is anything else you would like to see just let me know. It's pretty simple to pull apart so it's no trouble at all.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
<<

axegod5150

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 19, 2012 6:19 am

i have an angal MTL clone. i love picking it (half diamond), and i was very proud of myself for doing so, until i saw your lock... mine has no serrated pins in it!!! i feel kinda cheated now. good luck with it!
<<

edsmiley

Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin
Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin

Post Sat May 19, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks for the post Aedalas! Where did you get this lock? Would not mind finding one myself.

Ed
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 am

axegod5150 wrote:mine has no serrated pins in it!!!
I still can't see it being very easy, this has some surprisingly tight tolerances. Any tips on a tension tool? I've been meaning to make one just for this lock but haven't got around to it yet.

edsmiley wrote:Thanks for the post Aedalas! Where did you get this lock? Would not mind finding one myself.

Ed
Ebay! The price was right too, but they usually go for about twice that from what I've seen. It came with the security card and two different cams as well.
<<

pin_pusher

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 19, 2012 9:08 am

thanks for the breakdown, i've been attempting--for quite some time--to pick this dimple lock with no label on it, but it has those pin-in-pin drivers like that also. and i'm using the half diamond pick, but can't seem to adjust to rotating a pick within the lock. i may need to invest in dimple picks.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 19, 2012 10:56 am

As a sidenote here, I had to find a new plug follower for this as my normal follower was too small. I just have to say, damn I love the clip on Sharpie caps!

Angal plug follower.jpg

I usually hold my follower with my pinkie and the plug with my other fingers, but the clip just keeps the cap in place for me. Now to figure out how to attach a clip to my other followers...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

axegod5150

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm

[/quote] I still can't see it being very easy, this has some surprisingly tight tolerances. Any tips on a tension tool? I've been meaning to make one just for this lock but haven't got around to it yet.

i had the best luck with a plain old twisted spring steel wrench. i used what i guess would be considered bottom of keyway tension. the wrench i used was not overly wide but i wedged it against the bottom of the warding to get a little more bite. i have the best success with my lock using fairly heavy tension, but im not sure how that would work with serrated pins. i am still green with envy...
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Good breakdown,thankyou
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun May 20, 2012 7:25 am

Yeah, great breakdown... those are some beautiful pins!

And I can see why you might not be completely pleased with your pic-quality yet, but I thought they were quite nice actually.

Keep up the great work... I love to see shit like this.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 pm

cool write up, nice pics as well i'd say the perfect amount of light.. haha :D
ive also seen a knock off of mult-t-lock that is called supreme, it looks pretty much the same :O

Return to Mul-T-Lock