FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unusual picks??

<<

bumpin88

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:21 am

Unusual picks??

Has anyone ever heard of one? and what is it used for, or better yet how useful would one be?
also does anyone have info on a "katana pick"? just came across the name somewhere just curios really. pictures of either of these two picks would be helpful, perhap dimensions??

many thanks

"Lockpicks aren't burglary tools,
they're master keys!"
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Unusual picks??

bumpin88 wrote:Has anyone ever heard of one? and what is it used for, or better yet how useful would one be?
also does anyone have info on a "katana pick"? just came across the name somewhere just curios really. pictures of either of these two picks would be helpful, perhap dimensions??

many thanks

Which pick are you talking about? Can't read your mind.

As for the "katana" pick - never heard of it.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:16 pm

The katana pick is one recommended by Steven Hampton in a few of his books, I think he recommended useing it to pick higher security multi directional pin tumbler locks like the Kaba quattro. One edge is thinner than the other, it is formed from a steak knife, and retains a portion of the shape of the knife used. So it looks like a little katana, I guess. I put a "katana edge" on alot of the picks I use, and it is very effective, but as for the katana pick described in modern high security locks... I have yet to find it very useful.

-Tooly
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:07 pm

?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:01 pm

That's basically it. Except yours looks like a hook. His was straighter since he was using it to the blade side to slide in between the multi-directional pins to use it like a dimple pick of sorts in the tiny keyway. The blade side of the knife should be the blade side of the pick (like you have it) except the knife has to have a grind for the geometry of the pick, so the business edge will be thinner than the spine. Looks like yours was flat stock with a bevel edge.

The katana is like the dragon tensioner. Interesting, but almost useless exactly as it is described. The concept is sound, but that fine piece of english steel would be more useful as a full on gradual hook pick instead. Nice work.

-Tooly
<<

bumpin88

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:14 pm

thanks for clearing things up guys. so the katana works like a odd dimple pick for high security lock. would something like that be able to open a primus lock??

also tooly you mentioned the dragon tensioner, exactly what was it's purpose. all the books i have seen show it opening tubular locks. or is that a coincidence
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:40 pm

bumpin88 wrote:would something like that be able to open a primus lock??

Not as it is, but a similar idea where the edge of the pick used under the finger pins being slimmer than the spine of the pick on the opposite side of the keyway proves useful. A straight katana pick could be cut into a good dimple rake for a primus. Think bogota rake as a right justified dimple tool.

bumpin88 wrote:also tooly you mentioned the dragon tensioner, exactly what was it's purpose. all the books i have seen show it opening tubular locks. or is that a coincidence

It was supposed to be a multi purpose tensioner. A dual sided tensioner, and a dual sided tublar tensioner with two different spacings on either side for different sized of tubular lock center posts. I seem to remember it was suggested the tubular sides could also be used as an automotive wrench, or in a similar fashion to a falle prong tensioners, but the thing is just too huge and heavy to be very effective in any of those capacities. Looks cool, but stabs your knuckles and gets in the way of itself entirely too much.

-Tooly

Twice edited for quoting notation
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:40 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:That's basically it. Except yours looks like a hook. His was straighter since he was using it to the blade side to slide in between the multi-directional pins to use it like a dimple pick of sorts in the tiny keyway. The blade side of the knife should be the blade side of the pick (like you have it) except the knife has to have a grind for the geometry of the pick, so the business edge will be thinner than the spine. Looks like yours was flat stock with a bevel edge.

The katana is like the dragon tensioner. Interesting, but almost useless exactly as it is described. The concept is sound, but that fine piece of english steel would be more useful as a full on gradual hook pick instead. Nice work.

-Tooly

i had to dig real deep into my very first pickmaking attempts to find this pick.
really,it was a great success for me at the time,and worked very well,but hasn't seen daylight in ages...
i just figured the shape may be close...
thanks ,tooly =)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

bumpin88

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Hey tooly thanks for the advice on the rakes. really didn't
think about raking the prongs to find the bitting. i thought
each had to be rised and turned individually. thanks again!

"Lockpicks aren't burglary tools,
they're master keys!"

Return to Uncommon Tools!