FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unusual Rake Design

<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Unusual Rake Design

I saw what looked like a bulkier, unrefined version of this rake on a different post here - everyone said it was useless, etc.
It is my go-to rake. It absolutely Kills Abus locks and has opened almost every lock I've encountered on lock-out calls.
I bought it strictly because of its weird design but after reluctantly giving it a shot I must say I'm not sad I spent a few dollars on it.
Anyone else have one of these interesting picks in their arsenal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

escher7

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Re: Unusual Rake Design

Do you find yourself using both sides or favouring one over the other?
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:56 pm

I have one but I've never been a fan of raking so I've never tried it out.
It's SSP-14 in the HPC 2000 series of picks.
http://www.hpcworld.com/px/picks/2000/index.html

In the past the SSP-30 offset half diamond has been one of my favorite picks.
I like the steel they use for these picks a lot better than their carbon steel picks but with the way they're made the edges are rather sharp and need a lot of sanding.
Now that I've lost some feeling in my hands and am having hard time single-pin-picking anymore, maybe I should give the SSP-14 a try and learn to rake. Thanks.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:07 pm

I have the whole set.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:29 pm

The only side I use is the left (in regards to how the pick is displayed in the picture) as I feel the other side would most definitely snag on pins as you rake, unless you're using the uhm.. pull-out method.
And yeah, the Offset diamond/DeForest is favorite pick I've ever owned. Amazing feedback and control.
<<

ghost1

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Yes i have couple nice on tight padlocks like abus/kasp greased lightning for zipping speed attacks when the need arises.
<<

escher7

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:42 am

MBI wrote:I have one but I've never been a fan of raking so I've never tried it out.
It's SSP-14 in the HPC 2000 series of picks.
http://www.hpcworld.com/px/picks/2000/index.html

In the past the SSP-30 offset half diamond has been one of my favorite picks.
I like the steel they use for these picks a lot better than their carbon steel picks but with the way they're made the edges are rather sharp and need a lot of sanding.
Now that I've lost some feeling in my hands and am having hard time single-pin-picking anymore, maybe I should give the SSP-14 a try and learn to rake. Thanks.

Mbi - I just noticed this post where you indicate losing feeling in your hands. Is this a permanent thing and has your doctor indicated a cause?
I have had a similar problem. About a year ago I woke up with numbness in my left hand affecting the little finger and half the next one. (ulnar nerve neuropathy). After MRI etc the neurologist said there was some nerve impingement around the elbow, but not serious enough to operate. Since then I often wake up with the same thing on the right hand and sometimes the radial nerve (thumb side) as well. Personally I do not think it is in the arm, but rather my neck which is full of arthritis, or it wouldn't be happening on both sides. Bothers me because I really don't want it to get worse.
Just curious about your symptomology and if you have had a diagnosis. I don't pick often enough for that to be the cause, but maybe that is why you have the problem. (repetitive strain injury)
Funny how these things catch up to us. Three of the guys I trained martial arts with have had hip replacements in their late 40's and 50's.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 pm

escher7 wrote:Mbi - I just noticed this post where you indicate losing feeling in your hands. Is this a permanent thing and has your doctor indicated a cause?
I have had a similar problem. About a year ago I woke up with numbness in my left hand affecting the little finger and half the next one. (ulnar nerve neuropathy). After MRI etc the neurologist said there was some nerve impingement around the elbow, but not serious enough to operate. Since then I often wake up with the same thing on the right hand and sometimes the radial nerve (thumb side) as well. Personally I do not think it is in the arm, but rather my neck which is full of arthritis, or it wouldn't be happening on both sides. Bothers me because I really don't want it to get worse.

Disk degeneration and impingement in a couple of locations in my c-spine.

Return to Uncommon Tools!