FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Letter Box-Type Tension Tools?

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Letter Box-Type Tension Tools?

femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Deadlock

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks jeffmoss26. So if that's a Bommer Letter Box Lock, is that a representative example of ''letter box locks''? Is that what they are?
<<

MagicLocks

Post Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:24 pm

letterboxXlock.jpg

I have found an example of what they consider a letterbox lock in reference to these tension tools.
http://www.nothingbutlocks.com/Lowe-Fletcher-2831-Springbolt-Locker-Lock-p/lowe%20and%20fletcher%202831.htm#axzz4MomniIly

These locks were often used in drawers or old cabinets before cam locks became popular.
Usually the nose is longer to fit through the door or drawer front and that is why there are different length wrenches.
To work the levers you can use a piece of piano wire or a flag shaped pick or a pick that many think is useless - and it pretty much is for tumbler locks.
This is the very long hook called the postal hook. Get it "postal hook" - "letterbox lock."
Of course real post office locks would be if better quality and may require more specialized tools.
I don't know if it's still true but 35 years ago Belsaw's course included a section on picking and keying these locks. It was a good introduction to working with "real" lever locks in the future.

I hope this helps someone and that it all comes through all right. This is my first post on keypicking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:13 am

Deadlock wrote:I'm guessing "letter box locks" is an American term for padlocks like the Squire Old Fashioned. You know, the 220, 440 and 660. Here's a link to a post by Solomon on lp101 which shows how these tools are used. I tried typing the entire link in, but when I hit Preview, the middle of the link was missing and replaced by an ellipsis - ... I think you'll have to type it in yourself. This is the link: http://www.lockpicking101.com/ viewtopic.php?f+10&t=56842&p=413826&hilit=Squire+padlock#p413826 If you enter this without the space before viewtopic it should take you to the page.

Herw's an example of a letterbox lock.
http://www.giahardware.com/Bommer_25389 ... /25389.htm
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

MagicLocks

Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:10 am

Yes I don't recall ever seeing lever padlocks being sold in the US in the last 50 years except Master (of course) had a stamped steel one with two spring levers going directly to the shackle. These could be opened with any wire. Other than furniture locks the only place I can see them being used is safety deposit locks etc. Has anyone else seen any?
Previous

Return to Uncommon Tools!